PDA

View Full Version : planning first grouse hunt

new trigger
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone, this is my very first post. Joined a month ago but just found out how to post a thread, and just in time, I'm going on my first hunt and am hoping for some good advice.
The wife and I are heading towards Kamloops, Lytton, Clinton area ? (don't know where would be best) on sunday 10th and I expect rain.
Hunt for grouse in the rain?
I don't mind, but will the birds be out in the wet?
Any suggestions on where we should try?
We live in Langley and are willing to drive into some hours and are thinking of taking the quad as i here that it's a good idea to drive gravel roads watching for grouse.
Any help would be appreciated, it's our first hunt ever and hope to bring a hen home for the fryer.
Thanks

groove
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome. You will need to post a joke as per rookie rules, but there should be some birds in the areas you are going. I would look at Chuckar near Clinton, too. Birds will be out in the rain for sure. If you see one, there are likely more very close. DOnt be afraid to walk a little too!

new trigger
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry, didn't realize the joke rule, and don't have any good ones, but here's one that made me chuckle.

Two guys are out duck hunting and aren't getting anything all day, "what are we doing wrong ?" asked the one guy. "I don't know either, maybe we're not throwing the dog up high enough."

thanks for the reply, but can't seem to see anything showing chuckar on the map. Is it chuckar lake?, or mountain? we aren't familiar with the area.
Specifics aren't necessary I guess. I think we're just to find gravel roads and young forests with altitude and hike around looking for bird shaped rocks and logs.

10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
You dont need to post a joke it is not a rule.

Welcome to the site. I am not familiar with the areas you are asking about. But yes birds do come out in the rain. Not as much as a nice evening but they do come out. Be driving right at day break for a couple hours and the last couple of the day. If you have a dog and want to walk get out on older roads with willows and grass on the sides.

Just get out there and explore!

macdaddy10
10-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Hey new trigger, I'm a newbie as well and I went out for my first successful grouse hunt last weekend fairly close to Lytton -- near Spences Bridge. We were driving around, high up the mountains and saw about 5 blues/ruffies so they're up there. Keep your eyes peeled! Good luck!

groove
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Good one, Trigger.
I should have said look 'for' Chukar, not 'at'. My bad.
Chukar are a species of game bird similar to grouse. They can be found high on the semi arid hillsides in the scrub brush. Cache Creek, Clinton area would be good for these.
Good luck! Let us know how your trip went.

The Hermit
10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been hunting all my life and only killed my first few grouse this year on the moose hunt, its a blast! If you are going to use a shotgun your bird dog will have a lot of fun I'm sure, but we were using a .17 HMR with scope and killing them out to 124 yards!

Drive about 10-15kmph and look into the ditches not just down the road. BTW - even if they fly off they typically won't go far and you might be able to get a second, third, fourth shot at them! hahahaha!

new trigger
10-08-2010, 10:19 AM
thanks for the input and suggestions, were leaving in the a.m. tomorrow and cant wait. Hoping my hands stop vibrating from the anticipation and excitement.