PDA

View Full Version : i know i know

luckofthedraw
10-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Third year hunter...

I recieved a doe draw all three years. The first two years I was reluctant to shoot one, but an Uncle of mine enjoyed putting me in for them. I dunno, something about shooting the female just didn't sit right. After heading out with some family for the past few years (a buck and an immature later for the uncle), and I am really itching to shoot my own animal. This year I am taking that doe draw up on the offer :-D. I have region 3-12 for my pickings. I have not hunted the area or researched it much other then driving by on the "coke". Anyone know a good forestry road to start on? I do not plan on road hunting, although the uncle would like too.... but I would like to get off the beaten path. Any tips are much appreciated. Happy Hunting!

10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
When i get to a new area i do like to drive around during the morning. Look at the ground you have. Look at the road side for tracks. Take lots of short walks into the cut blocks or trees. Walk up a treeline 100yds and back. All the while looking for sign. Trails, tracks and poop.

You should find something that fits your liking. Road hunting does have its place in this sport, to me it is good to do with older partners or peopel who have trouble in the bush ( my wife :) ) and when you get to a new area.

Then when you get some places you think look good get into them before day break. Sit and watch them for a couple hours then get up and still hunt. And in the evening find another nice place and sit until shooting light is over.

There is a million right ways to hunt and not too many wrong ways, but this is what I do. Good luck and dont feel bad about dropping the hammer on a doe!

knockturnal
10-04-2010, 05:00 PM
just drive down sunset main towards region 8-11. any of the spur roads off there will produce Mule does. theres a ton of them in there.

coach
10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
What knockturnal said.. Should be an easy draw to fill. Good chance of seeing bucks too. Make sure you also have a whitetail tag in your pocket.

twoSevenO
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Pretty much what 835 typed is what I would do if it was me. I've still to nail a buck in that neck of the woods, but the does are not hard to find.

In my experience, sitting down for even 45 minutes is enough to have at least one or two walk up into your field of view.

Personally, i find bagging a doe would be too easy.

dave_fras
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
ya man... heading up sunset.... u wont have a problem at all!

knockturnal
10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
im heading up that direction tomorrow. ill let you know how many does i see. Its usually in the neighbourhood of 30.

BlacktailStalker
10-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Those does are being bred by somebody.
I wonder about guys not finding bucks where there are "lots of does"
That should be your first indication for a good spot to hunt.

coach
10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Blacktailstalker, The bucks in this area all arrive by limo on November 15th. It's a big, one night party, then they clear out in the morning. Really no point looking for them any other time during the season.

BlacktailStalker
10-04-2010, 09:30 PM
:lol: I thought that was the case all over BC.
Most guys move too fast when hunting deer...

Good luck with filling your doe draw, should be some good eats anyways and you'll get to learn a new area.

slicky72
10-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Those does are being bred by somebody.
I wonder about guys not finding bucks where there are "lots of does"
That should be your first indication for a good spot to hunt.

Yup lots of does is what I would call a good sign.

luckofthedraw
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I will check the sunset out. The draw is not until November, I'll let you know how I make out.

sawmill
10-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Does are meat too you know.Don`t be sexist.:mrgreen:

Ogopogo
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Hatheume lake turn off is promising for mule/white tail deer. Lots of clear cuts to chose from. I was up there 3 weeks ago and saw 4 white tail does and 5 mule does in a morning hunt. We were driving as well.:) I probably won't shoot a doe either, seems to easy.