PDA

View Full Version : camp choice?

ratherbefishin
05-11-2006, 07:23 AM
what do you use for hunting trips [or favour]and why?
*camper?
*trailer?
*wall tent?
*rented cabin?

Marc
05-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I just bought a camper last summer and I used it for all my fall and spring hunting so far. I've got a solar panel for it and it's nice to just get to a spot and drop the camper off and it's all good to go. Don't have to worry about trying to pack out a wet Wall tent or gathering wood for the night to stay warm.

"Just set it and forget it." :biggrin:

My wife now also joins me in the fall and spring with the comfort and security of being inside a camper. On the Island it rains more days then you can shake a stick at so in my opinion a camper is a better option then trying to stay dry in a tent.

The camper is a little more maneuverable in the woods then dragging a trailer. Nothing worst then going up a road to find out it's a dead end or the road is washed out and has to try and back out a trailer for a km before you can turn around.

The wall tent on the other hand takes up less room in the truck and weighs a lot less. I guess there are different applications for different situations. In a long distance trip the wall tent would be a better choice for saving gas and room where that may be a concern.

Marc.

Onesock
05-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Wall tent, no question. More room and it makes drying clothes much easier.

lip_ripper00
05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
20x40 poly tunnel with a big ass wood stove:D

mark
05-11-2006, 09:26 AM
us too, a homemade a-frame tent made from tarp and 2x2's. Its cheap, light, sets up in 15 minutes, have a small wood stove and sleeps 3 comfortably! lots of room and easy on the fuel bill when making long trips. it really depends on how far yer traveling, for how long and what ya need to pack, but for the 2 week trip up north that works best for us!

mainland hunter
05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
wall tents are my preference for sure. have also done pop tents.

partsman
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
For years a regular tent, then the odd camper if a guy had one, then a trailer if there was one available.
Now it is a wall tent.
Because the wife says no to taking the fifth wheel.:cry:

05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Been a few years since we used it but a home made tarp wall tent works for us for above mentioned reasons, plus its not a big deal if your coming in full of mud etc. Renovations/modifications can be added on the fly with a hammer, nails and chainsaw.:lol:
Hunted out of a 20 ft motor home a few times, but its cramped compared to the wall tent and is an added expense of fuel for the few extra amenities it offers. Its biggest advantage was its ease of moving.

000buck
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
travel trailor for me works good with the wife and kids comfort camping or hunting and still have the truck and quad to play with and lots of room for critters.

Barracuda
05-11-2006, 10:53 AM
when its the wife and i the camper is great. but if we are with the regular crowd the wall tent is really nice.

Ronforca
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Camper and wall tent.The camper is great if it does not get too cold.I have two solar panels but when it gets down around 20 below the camper is not so great.A wall tent is very roomy and warm with lots of places to dry out wet clothes.Nov.hunting on a Mtn.in the Okanagan most def.a wall tent.Ours is 14x16.A lot more roomy than my 8 ft.camper.Tent is 14x16.

Ozone
05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Ive got a camperette thats on the truck 24/7. Just rite for me and the dog.

bigwhiteys
05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Well...

We have a sweet ass camper van (me and 2 pals) that we took into the yukon for 3 weeks. It survived.

I personally prefer wall tents though. They are comfortable and warm and keep you dry.

I have also just closed my rear truck doors onto a tarp and run the tarp over the box and sleep there in the box of the truck. Don't do this in fierce rain though. You'll get wet.

If it's really nice out... I'll pass out right beside the campfire on the dirt.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
If I can drive there, it's proably a camper.

If I have to walk it is a little MSR lightweigth tent.:D

J_T
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Wall tent for base camp. Just makes everything warm and cozy.

Under the trees and the stars for spike camp.

JT

hitch
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Guiding we use backpack tents, wall tents and cabins. For personal hunting it's usually the backpack tent, sometimes the truck and camper. Kind of depends on the what I'm after and where I'm headed.

bruno
05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
A wall tent all the way, good wood stove, nice and warm.

ratherbefishin
05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I have a canvass 9x12 wall tent with an oval stove for sleeping and a 10x20 portable tarp garage for cooking, storing gear and sitting around when it;s rainy.I think I will try and get a bit bigger canvass wall tent for sleeping in this year though-the 9x12 is ok for just sleeping,but no room for sitting around the wood stove at night.But the $200 tarp garage is sure a handy and cost effective way of getting a good area under cover .I like to keep cooking and sleeping tents separate though-bit paranoid about grizzlies.I'm not of that pursuasion that singing to them is much of a defence[like that idiot who was eaten a couple of years back-the only good thing that came out of that was his gene pool came to a rather abrupt end]

mtnmax
05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
We just bought a new trailer at xmas so this year we will be using that. 28ft should be roomy for the wife and I on some local hunting trips. I have used wall tents and are defently my choice if I go more than 3 hrs away from home. Lots of room and warm and light weight on the fuel bill.
Will be testing out the new trailer for the first time this May long.

Happy camping!!
Mtnmax

Gnarly
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
12x14 Wall tent, just about perfect for two or even three people and a canvas 14x18 tarp.

ratherbefishin
05-11-2006, 06:54 PM
what do you prefer for the walltent-the internal frame or external?

BCLongshot
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Well right now I work crazy hours so I spend some money and rent a cabin. This year we're going to Tatuk Lake area. Weekend trips it's just the back of the truck.

elkster
05-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Depending on where and what I'm doing. I use a camper, a wall tent, and a smaller dome tent. I like them all as long as I'm out in the bush, I think I could sleep under a piece of poly. Oh Yeah! did that to.

i6s1
05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
All I've ever used when hunting is a 2 man dome tent, and once I slept in the back of my 4Runner.

Shop Lord
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm leaving on a grizzly trip on sunday, I thought we better figure out sleeping arrangements. After reading this post I went out a bought $100 worth of tarps, some 2X2's and a woodstove. With some help from Gatehouse and my neighbour (who owns a sheet metal shop) I built an amazing "wall tent". My girlfriend and I spent the night camped out in the yard. All in all it cost $200 + a 12 pack. THE BEST $220 I EVER SPENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lip_ripper00
05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm leaving on a grizzly trip on sunday, I thought we better figure out sleeping arrangements. After reading this post I went out a bought $100 worth of tarps, some 2X2's and a woodstove. With some help from Gatehouse and my neighbour (who owns a sheet metal shop) I built an amazing "wall tent". My girlfriend and I spent the night camped out in the yard. All in all it cost $200 + a 12 pack. THE BEST $220 I EVER SPENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya this should stop a grizz:tongue:

Shop Lord
05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
If that doesn't my 338 will !!!

death-junky
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
what about tarp :D hahaha ive done that a few times just sleep under a tarp or something :D
ttyal
Riley

ratherbefishin
05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
the best solution to a tarp shelter as far as I'm concerned was buying the $200 10x20 portable garage-cost effective, easily put up and taken down,[15 minutes] and way better than stretching ropes between trees,pooling rain,flapping in the wind-etc.

johnes50
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
the best solution to a tarp shelter as far as I'm concerned was buying the $200 10x20 portable garage-cost effective, easily put up and taken down,[15 minutes] and way better than stretching ropes between trees,pooling rain,flapping in the wind-etc.

Where do you find those 10x20 portable garages? I've used those white ones from Costco, but they get crowded real quick with 3-4 guys. John

Walksalot
05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Spent many a week in a wall tent chasing the critterrs around and I think it is the way to go. The dirt floor is conducive to not worrying about taking your boots off. Five foot walls are nice. The only problem with a wall tent is once the stove goes out it gets cold real quick. To wait in the early morning hours to see the cherry red glow of the first few inches of stove pipe is a welcome sight when it is really cold and incentive to get out of the sleeping bag.

ratherbefishin
05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
portable garages are available from a variety of places-and I like them in conjunction with a regularwall tent which we use for sleeping-don't like to cook and sleep under the same roof

Barracuda
05-12-2006, 03:52 PM
in the tent we stay in we put down a tarp for the floor and then astro turf

greybark
05-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Spent many a week in a wall tent chasing the critterrs around and I think it is the way to go. The dirt floor is conducive to not worrying about taking your boots off. Five foot walls are nice. The only problem with a wall tent is once the stove goes out it gets cold real quick. To wait in the early morning hours to see the cherry red glow of the first few inches of stove pipe is a welcome sight when it is really cold and incentive to get out of the sleeping bag.

Hey Walksalot , In my 14x16 wall tent I had a "Fisher Airtight Stove" . It would burn up to 14 hrs dampered down and eliminated the "who would get up first to light the fire contest" Many times the stove would not go out for two weeks . I also had a one piece stove pipe which the part that went thru the tent wall was on a slight downward angle which allowed the creasote to drip out a hole in the up right 90 d ellbow into a hole dug it the ground . No creasote smell...

Due to being unable to cut firewood I sold the outfit to a friend of mine who has two bowhunting sons and they think it is great.

I used a "winterized" 21ft Bigfoot trailer this year at Rock Ck, It was minus 28 c and turned out way better than I thought with no problems ...

Walksalot
05-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Greybark, it sounds like you had your tent done up right.
It was a miserable bloody job to be short straw on a cold morning. We had one of those sheet metal stoves, you step on the treddle and the top lifted up, but it warmed the tent up quickly.

greybark
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
:lol: Hey Walksalot ,You are right about the ground tent floor - No worry about boots and water spills . I realized that the moment I entered the trailer .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

farside
05-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Hmm. The older I get the more of a wuss I become. Started in a small dome tent and tarps and have graduated to a nice new 18' trailer for this year.

Deerwhacker
05-13-2006, 04:18 PM
the front seat of the truck i s just fine for me.

4pointhunter
05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
would it be possible to get some instruction on how to build a tarp wall tent, does it still work ok not being breathable material?