PDA

View Full Version : area 7 for my first moose trip

gorillaboy
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
i am heading into area 7 for my first moose trip. this will be post rut, as i'm not leaving until the 15 th my question is. is there any point in trying to call a bull in during the post rut season?? will they respond to a call or will that just drive them away??
thanks for any wisdom that you choose to impart on me.

The Dawg
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Always worth calling. There's always going to be some bulls that are easily horned up and ready to go, before and after the main rut.

3kills
10-04-2010, 12:57 PM
might not really be post rut either. maybe the rut is still goin on. and like noahdawg said there is always a horny bull still around.

LYKTOHUNT
10-04-2010, 01:01 PM
In my experience you can still call them in, I think you may trick a smaller one in fact I have called a small bull in to me in November

tomahawk
10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
In my experience you can still call them in, I think you may trick a smaller one in fact I have called a small bull in to me in November

As said the younger bulls start the rut phase sooner and end it later then the big boys who are in rut for a shorter time but that short time is more intense by a mile!!

Calling will work to some degree from the start of the season to the end with the intense times centered around the end Sept, beginning of Oct.

elkdom
10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
the moose are going strong right now, day before yesterday out looking for whitey bucks, 8 cows,3 calves,2 mature bull moose and 1 immi bull moose, how many moose you find after the 15 of Oct will depend how many there happens to be in the imediate area you hunt, and will have little to do with whether it is the 15 of Oct or the 2nd of Oct,

I have called moose into Dec, observed them mating that late also, not all cows come into estrus the same week, and the bulls dont quit till the Fat Lady sings,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

bridger
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
the moose are going strong right now, day before yesterday out looking for whitey bucks, 8 cows,3 calves,2 mature bull moose and 1 immi bull moose, how many moose you find after the 15 of Oct will depend how many there happens to be in the imediate area you hunt, and will have little to do with whether it is the 15 of Oct or the 2nd of Oct,

I have called moose into Dec, observed them mating that late also, not all cows come into estrus the same week, and the bulls dont quit till the Fat Lady sings,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

did you mean till the Fat Lady sighs? lol

elkdom
10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
did you mean till the Fat Lady sighs? lol

ever heard a moose sing,,,,,,, "Im so happy,Im so happy":)

bforce750
10-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I called in 6 Bulls October 16th and ended up shooting an immy just after bow season,in the right area they will definately still call.

gorillaboy
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
hey guys thanks for all the info, i will try and put it to work in two weeks. my plan is to get off the roads and walk and sit as much as possible. i hope to have great stories and pics upon my return..

thompson steel
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Be Shure that you are in the area that you want to hunt at last 30min before the sun comes up and stay out until it is too dark to shoot safely. Don’t over call it can take time for them to come in.

hunter69
10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
ever heard a moose sing,,,,,,, "Im so happy,Im so happy":)

Hey Elkdom, Seeing as you are from Dawson, I am wondering if you can provide a report for your area and more specifically near Goodlow, how the Cow calf ratio is looking.
My hunting partner (12 yr old son) has a draw until late October and wondering how things look in general for Moose and Deer?

Thanks in advance,

H69

elkdom
10-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey Elkdom, Seeing as you are from Dawson, I am wondering if you can provide a report for your area and more specifically near Goodlow, how the Cow calf ratio is looking.
My hunting partner (12 yr old son) has a draw until late October and wondering how things look in general for Moose and Deer?

Thanks in advance,

H69
I travel near Clayhusrt, Golada creek, Goodlow a couple times a month,from what I see, 1 in 3 cows has a calf, seen a couple of twin calves this fall, good luck:wink:

moose2
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Make sure to target feeding areas that time of year. River bottoms , red willow flats and really concentrate on the big aspins (populars). The leaves are off then making it better spotting , and the moose will feed in them all day long after the main rut. A GPS will help you find your downed animal again in these trees , if not survey ribbon or toilet paper can mark your trail. There will still be rutting activity as well. Remember if a bull runs out in front of you or is leaving make sure to cow call. Nine times out of ten this will stop them dead in their tracks. Giving you some time to count points. Good luck. Hope to see some pictures.
MIKE