PDA

View Full Version : Stalked & Charged By A Grizzer Tonight!!!

steepNdeep
10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
The short version...

Elk hunting tonight I was psyched as the animal came in to my call through the timber and appeared at 30 yards! My stomach dropped when it turned out to be a GRIZZER!!! A shot was fired but nobody got hurt... I'm still vibrating! :shock: :eek: :cool:

Caveman
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Surprize!!!!! Wow! Good to hear everything turned out okay

todbartell
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
sounds like a real heart pounding situation.

shoot2kill
10-03-2010, 09:04 PM
yup, thats a feeling you won't forget!

slicky72
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
clean shorts on isle 3...

Brambles
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Heck of a good feeling aint it. Glad to hear you made it out unscathed

BlacktailStalker
Been there!
Next time wont be as bad ;) :lol:

adamgarbett
A good end to the weekend LOL

shallowH2O
10-03-2010, 09:11 PM
dino
shit just got back from the Muskwa and had way too many close encounters. glad to hear your still with us! PS check out FB for our cranker 6 point!!!!

tuffteddyb
10-03-2010, 09:11 PM
can see why people say you need clean shorts,man mine puckers up so tight ,it wont loosen up for a week,or bites a hole in my jeans!

rollingrock
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
The short version...

Elk hunting tonight I was psyched as the animal came in to my call through the timber and appeared at 30 yards! My stomach dropped when it turned out to be a GRIZZER!!! A shot was fired but nobody got hurt... I'm still vibrating! :shock: :eek: :cool:

:-D I know how that makes you feel.... when something unexpected shows up...I had similar situation earlier this year.

Rattler
10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Glad your ok. Yup those bears sure do like cow calls. The last one I called in snorted as it went by me at 20 yards in the alder. Until then I thought I had an elk coming in...

Curious, did you have elk scents on?

porcupine
10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I had that happen moose hunting but it was a pair of them. Scared the heck out of me. Haven't been back hunting in that spot since.

BCrams
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Know the feeling. Glad you came out of it unscathed. Could have been much worse.

steepNdeep
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
LONG version...The sign wasn’t very fresh, but on my third setup, I found a sweet lookin’ spot on a bench with relatively open timber that I could see ~50 yards in spots. I gave some estrous whines followed after a while by a chuckle and then a few mews. I heard a snap ~80 yards up after the first set. A few minutes later I chirped and heard a rustle and another snap after. I was psyched at my luck to have a bull comin’ in so quickly! I got the rifle up, safety off but could barely see through my Leupold it was already getting dark in the thick timber.

I chirped again and immediately saw movement about 50 yards out BUT WTF?!? - it was low to the ground and stalking through yellow bush… HUH?!? I immediately sensed it was a predator… cougar??? It cleared the bush and it saw the unmistakeable blonde hump. :shock: NNOOOOOOOOOOO! (What a buzzkill! :evil: ) Just as it registered in my mind, the grizz stopped behind another small bush at ~35 yards. I already had the gun shouldered and tried to get a lock on it in the scope but it was tough with the twilight. Adrenaline was now pumpin’ full blast and I yelled “HEYYYY…. BEAR… F*#@ OFF!!! I DON’T WANT TO SHOOT YOU!” It immediately bolted uphill and I felt a sense of relief for a milli-second until I saw two cubs following her. SHIT (Gary Shelton echoing in my head… this could now turn from predatory to cub defense behaviour) I quickly backed up ~20 m to the edge of the edge of the timber.

Just as I was starting to feel better I heard a woofing growl as it crashed through the bush towards me. I picked a big tree and fired into it’s base just in front of the sound and instantly reloaded as my eyes adjusted from the orange flash of the muzzleblast! It stopped the charge and I heard it turn uphill as I backed up onto a rocky outcrop that gave me an elevated view of the regen between us. Fully pumped, I laughed as I humped it back to the truck… It was an exciting end to an epic weekend! Glad I didn't have to shoot it... :cool:

I’ve spent a lot of time around bears, watching literally hundreds of blackies over a few years bowhunting them & have been charged several times. I know where ~10 grizzers live around here & I’ve seen ~dozen but none that planned to chew on me... I knew eventually my time would definitely come... I’m just glad I wasn’t in my bear burrito at the time (like Brambles & Rattler)! :biggrin:

vortex hunter
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I know that feeling it sucks better check the shorts......lol kidding

pg83
10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Glad things worked out for you and the bears. The truck sure feels good under you after those situations.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2010, 03:36 AM
I bet you're glad it wasn't archery season:shock:.

Glad thing worked out, Dean! We don't need any more legends like that kind around here:).

SSS

Ruger4
10-04-2010, 05:57 AM
what no pictures ?? kidding , glad your ok !! :mrgreen:

LYKTOHUNT
10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
can see why people say you need clean shorts,man mine puckers up so tight ,it wont loosen up for a week,or bites a hole in my jeans!
Try a real greasy breakfast , make sure to soak up the grease from a whole package of bacon with your hashbrowns and a lot of coffee, almost always loosens things up:wink:

The Hermit
10-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Good on you for staying collected under pressure!

frenchbar
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Aint hunting fun Steep:mrgreen: never know whats going to happen once your in the animal kingdom:wink: glad to here you got away safe and sound.

steepNdeep
10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Glad your ok. Yup those bears sure do like cow calls. The last one I called in snorted as it went by me at 20 yards in the alder. Until then I thought I had an elk coming in...

Curious, did you have elk scents on?

I was hunting my way into the wind. I had some elk juice on my hat, from the morning hunt though... :wink:

Did you see the bear and was it down wind? I'm glad it wasn't thicker in there!! Someone would have gotten hurt if it came out at 10 yards...

dino
shit just got back from the Muskwa and had way too many close encounters. glad to hear your still with us! PS check out FB for our cranker 6 point!!!!

Davin, What is FB? PM me the pic of your bull. I can't wait to get a boat & head up your way. You're a lucky bass turd!

calvin L
10-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Dean I am glad you worked out of the area ok and did not slip on your $$$$hIIIII... . It would would be nice to see your face again in person maybe even drink some crown . . good for you on not killing the bears .

calvin L

steepNdeep
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Dean I am glad you worked out of the area ok and did not slip on your $$$$hIIIII... . It would would be nice to see your face again in person maybe even drink some crown . . good for you on not killing the bears .

calvin L

Maybe I'll have to come & take my bear frustrations out on one of a spring grizzer hunts & drink some crown... :biggrin: I have no life w/ work & never seem to make the archery shoots any more. Did you go last year?

VINDOG
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Been there, two weeks ago, try 15 Yards. I almost threw up (And soiled myself) when I got out of a self climbing tree stand. Makes a guy stop and think! What the hell just happened! Cheers

swampthing
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Great, another bear story to think about as I lie alone and cramped in my little tent on a mountainside, clutching my rifle.

Rattler
10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
[quote=steepNdeep;757498]I was hunting my way into the wind. I had some elk juice on my hat, from the morning hunt though... :wink:

Did you see the bear and was it down wind? I'm glad it wasn't thicker in there!! Someone would have gotten hurt if it came out at 10 yards...

Yes the sow came from downwind to our decoy which had cow elk wafer scents hanging on it. She stopped 20 yards from my partner and luckily for us ran in the opposite direction.