PDA

View Full Version : need boots

Bistchen
10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Well....... after 3 Alpine hunts in the last month, my Meindl's are done. Just pulled out a small two point to celebrate their years of use. Again, they are DONE, so done a homeless person wouldnt even look twice at them. I bought them in Germany years ago and had many years of great use out of them. However, the last couple of years involved more serious hunts and more serious hiking.

Well to make a long story short, we are almost in the middle of hunting season and I need to get a new pair of boots. Meaning, buying, breaking in, etc. And I have quite a few more hunts planned.

So the question........know of any superb quality boots???????

Im looking for a good pair. I dont care about the price. Well ok......... more like the $300 dollar range. Does anyone know of any good places in the lower mainland with good quality boots and sales people who know what there doing? I was at the hunting show in Abby this spring and there were some reps there from a pretty respectable store...cant remember who though. Im looking at another pair of Meindl's, but anything goes.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Chris

Tarp Man
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Meindl are dealt through AJ Brooks in Vancouver. The boot topic is well hashed out on the forum, do a search to get started. AJ Brooks and Meindl have received a less than stellar reception here due to some significant quality issues. Do the search and start there.

My feedback - I bought a pair of Scarpa Escape boots this past winter and used them on four serious trips this year. Of those trips, I spent 6 days in them with significant weight in some steep terrain. I found the fit to be exactly what I needed for my feet (narrow, with high arches and narrow heel). I used SOLE heat moulding insoles and I have no complaints. The lacing system is excellent, the leather has stood up to complete soakings with proper leather care, and the GoreTex shows no issues. The tread pattern grips well and clears well in mud and snow. The rubber (Vibram) sole grips solidly on smooth rock and the rubber rand is the ideal height to save the toes and ball area from cuts. The cordura fabric over the tongue makes fit and break-in easy.

If you are looking for a backpacking boot that is commercially available, the Scarpa boots are high quality. If you are looking for a taller boot that is sheep hunting ready, consider the Liskamm. Hard to find, but worth the look.

If you are looking for a slightly less stiff boot, consider the La Sportiva Cascade. This year I spent a 12 hour day backpacking in them and packed out 60lbs of deer and rifle with no complaints. Not as laterally stiff as the Escapes, but super comfortable and stable underfoot. They also require minimal break in time.

Prior to the Escapes I wore a pair of Asolo 535 full grain leather boots into submission. They endured 4 years of multiple dayhikes, several moose hunting seasons, and 4 seasons of blacktail hunting in the Fraser Valley. People slag them for being made in China, but those boots endured a lot without failure. Their one downfall for me was they don't have a lot of lateral stiffness for such a heavy boot. I would buy them again to use on dayhikes in a heartbeat.

cloverphil
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I've got a great pair of new Timberland Pro, they are as comfortable as high top runners soft leather, water proof membrane and steel toe and shank with thinsulate / Gortex

KevinB
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I am happy with my Lowa Baffin Pro's, so far. Got them through Bakers Shoes in Eugene Oregon. Good shipping policy to Canada, a little over $300 Canadian shipped to my door.

Wild Images
10-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Picked up a set of Aku at WSS, very comfortable right off the mark and only got better. Went up for sheep 12 days later and lots of tough rock they still felt like slippers.
If I see these on sale again there will be anouther pair in the closet.
$279 reg price- picked them up for $159 and the felt better off the rack than my $400 Meindels did.

Muleycatcher
10-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Lowa hunter GTX extremes get my vote.
Just got them in august and they took no time to break in and are super waterproof and breathable. They are one of the more comfortable pairs of boots I have owned.

Got them out of Baker's in Oregon and they put the value cheaper than what it was and put them as a gift which cut down on the taxes.

swampthing
10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Kenetrek mountain extreem. No break in required. Your friends will be jealous.

BromBones
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Picked up a set of Aku at WSS, very comfortable right off the mark and only got better. Went up for sheep 12 days later and lots of tough rock they still felt like slippers.
If I see these on sale again there will be anouther pair in the closet.
$279 reg price- picked them up for $159 and the felt better off the rack than my $400 Meindels did.

I rarely hear AKUs mentioned. I've used them for a few years now and they are great boots. I bought a second pair on sale that haven't been used at all yet. Highly recommended.

Bistchen
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have done some research and internet seeking and so far the LOWA hunter GTX have given me the largest boner. I will still consider all, and only once you try them on, do you really know. But even after the break in stage, who knows what can happen. Thanks again, especially Tarp man for his detailed post. Sorry, but I did a search and couldn't find other posts regarding AJ brooks and Meindl.
Thank you all.

Chuck
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not certain if a guy can even buy a quality boot anymore. Europeans have some, and especially Italian made boots are world famous. Don't ask me how or what to do to even check some out. Prices are outrageous, and so are sold usually through a closed network for the elite I suppose.

Ltbullken
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Could try MEC as well. They will have a large selection of boots for hard core mountaineering to casual hiking. Don't know how the 'musli/plain yogurt/frothy coffee' crowd will respond to your intended use of the boots but will certainly get you good gear.

Bistchen
10-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks Chuck and Lt. I am also considering buying a medicore pair or borrowing my Dad's boots to get me through the season.
I might wait till I go back to germany next summer to buy a pair. For those of you who have never been to Germany/Europe. They have the real deal. Its a little costy, buy hey, we hunt in the bestest/harshest region in the world, so why the Fu(k not, right?

KevinB
10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Got them out of Baker's in Oregon and they put the value cheaper than what it was and put them as a gift which cut down on the taxes.

Great outfit. They do indeed have an excellent shipping policy to Canada and a very good return policy. I do really like my Baffin Pro's, they are a slightly shorter, non-goretex (getting hard to find) version of you hunter GTX's.

steelheadSABO
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
I got some irish setters today and so far i like them haven't used them hunting tho or even walked a mile in them

pnbrock
10-08-2010, 06:36 AM
i have the irish setters 1000gr thinsulate great boots in cold conditions however need legs like a clydsdale to hike in them.

Ruger4
10-08-2010, 06:42 AM
picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns as a spare , 2nd year now , just like slippers , very comfortable , no leaks yet , lotsa miles and still in excellent shape. and cheap /$225 ish if I recall