PDA

View Full Version : bison hunt 7-57B in Jan. need some info

fuss
10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey guy I supposed to go on a bison hunt in Jan. I have never hunted bison or even been up the that part of BC before.
Can anybody tell me where to hunt ,what you need to being and where to stay at etc. Any info would be awesome.thanks

Bear Chaser
10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
You'll most likely be hunting down the Mile 171 road on the north side of the Sikanni River. You will need snowmobiles. Studded winter tires on a 4WD or chains will be a good idea. Temperatures at that time of year can range from +5C down to -45C so all of your gear and vehicles need to be up to snuff.
If you do a search on this site you can find more info as this comes up every year. Lots of good advice has been given over the years.
Pink Mountain Lodge is owned by a member on this site and he's given lots of advice to guys coming up for bison. He'd be one of the first guys to talk to. Send a pm to sheep.elk.moose fanatic.

peanut
11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Are you sure you have a permit for Zone B. I dont think it is open there in January. Those are Zone A hunts

ufishifish2
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I've got a draw for the same time Fuss. I will be hunting Zone "A" though. We will have to stay in contact and maybe meet for beer popsicles one day.

Fraink
11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Peanut is right ! The LEH was offered only in Zone-A for the january hunt. My son had the draw last year for the last two weeks of Dec. We stayed at the Pink Mountain Lodge with Jamie and Judy, two of the nicest people on this planet. My son harvested his 4 yr old bull about 60 K back on the halfway river trail, we didn't pay the access fee at the ranch but used the trail around. Make sure you bring a snowmachine and a strong skimmer to pull behind it. Quads will work but they are restricted to where they can go. It took all of the next day to go back out toi retrieve the meat....if we had a second skimmer behind the other machine we wouldn't have had to make the trip out the next day. Also ran into a few guys camped way back at about 30 K but you you need to have your @#$% together to get that done!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Peanut is right ! The LEH was offered only in Zone-A for the january hunt. My son had the draw last year for the last two weeks of Dec. We stayed at the Pink Mountain Lodge with Jamie and Judy, two of the nicest people on this planet. My son harvested his 4 yr old bull about 60 K back on the halfway river trail, we didn't pay the access fee at the ranch but used the trail around. Make sure you bring a snowmachine and a strong skimmer to pull behind it. Quads will work but they are restricted to where they can go. It took all of the next day to go back out toi retrieve the meat....if we had a second skimmer behind the other machine we wouldn't have had to make the trip out the next day. Also ran into a few guys camped way back at about 30 K but you you need to have your @#$% together to get that done!

thanks Lorne :) this year it has been tough for most of the hunters do to lack of snow, only one bison has been taking that i know of the people that are staying here,on this nov 1 hunt:-| they are not seeing a thing and the guides are having trouble too!.but it's snowing now so hopefully things change in a hurry too many going home empty handed.

best advice i can give is don't give up and go well prepared and know the rules of the halfway trail!! so many this year came up in a truck with no atv or sled thinking they can road hunt and drink beer if you pay the access fee or drive the genesis:? it's not that easy...

ufishifish2
11-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I believe that "Fuss" musta died. A long time ago, I sent him/her a PM with an offer to keep in touch since we will both be there at the same time....... No response!
"Hey, Fuss, where are you????":cry:

partner
11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Jamie that's not good news. Will be coming up after new years. I hope the snow you've ordered will be there when we arrive, and you've got a room reserved for us still. We aren't bring those damn mountain sleds either. Just some good reliable trail sleds.