PDA

View Full Version : GPS Map program

scoot
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
While up on Hwy 24, I stopped by the fly shop off the highway. (can't remember the name). I noticed they had a different type of mapping for Garmin GPS made by Backroads maps, that looked the same as the books. How do you folks compare this program to the Garmin Topo Canada maps? It came across as a good product on the back of the box but I would not mind looking into it a little better before buying.

What are your experiences and opinion on these two programs?

Scoot

slicky72
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
It has more info than topo Canada but if you have an older GPS " I have Garmin 60 CSx" you can't take advantage of the updated graphics. I have tried the card in my friends Oregon and it was awesome.

betteroffishing
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
i notice the diff on my rhino , but still can not access ALL the features it has. a good way to spend 150 in my books.

scoot
10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Slicky, do you know if it would work in a Vista Cx?

slicky72
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I believe so , looks like that uses a micro SD card . It should work. You could email them ask .
info@backroadmapbooks.com

BlacktailStalker
10-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I dont like the roads on the backroad mapbook version, they come up as dotted skinny black lines. JMO.

slicky72
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Here is a good comparison of the two products
http://www.bc4x4.com/pr/2010/backroad-gps-maps/

tomahawk
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I have an Oregon and the "backroads" mini Sd map, I love it. Backroads is coming out with the "latest" updated version of the map very shortly according to there head office. They originally were targetting the end of Sept.

Jonas111
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
It has more info than topo Canada but if you have an older GPS " I have Garmin 60 CSx" you can't take advantage of the updated graphics. I have tried the card in my friends Oregon and it was awesome.

I have the 60CSx as well would it be worth my while to get the backroads instead of using topo?

Winder
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
To be honest Garmin BirdsEye (pretty much Google Earth on gps) makes that backroad gps map absolete imo

slicky72
10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I have the 60CSx as well would it be worth my while to get the backroads instead of using topo?

If you already have topo Canada I'd wait til you upgrade your unit.

338 winmag
10-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I have found some of the roads on Topo Canada are off, some times as much as 800 feet. Not sure if the Backroads program is more accurate or not.

hawkfu
10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I got 60 CSx unit using topo map before, 150 on topo map and 60 on the memory card.
now i get the new vision one which is electrical version backroad map,just one SD card insert the unit, and do all the things include the road tracks. Pretty good one, highly recommond.

Rodd
10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Just setting up the new GPSMAP 78s right now for forestry applications, and the graphics have come along ways in a short time. Both map products in question are very useful, the backroads maps start with the same topo data such as roads etc.. they come from the TRIM database, and accurracy will be the same. The backroads maps will have rec sites etc.. more aimed to the outdoors guys. But both are great products! I work as a Mapping guy(GIS) for a forestry company, and can make my own custom maps and load them up... Pretty handy for sure, but I only use them(GPS units) for locating the quickest route back to the truck in the dark! and don't need any maps for that although the contours are the most useful! IMO

scoot
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Here is a good comparison of the two products
http://www.bc4x4.com/pr/2010/backroad-gps-maps/

wow, what a comparison, that's sweet. I think the decision is made just with that alone. For the sake of 30 bucks more.

CR CRUISER
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I have both the Garmin Topo Canada and the BackRoads Vancouver Island on micro SD. Although the roads are very hard to see amongst the contour lines, the BackRoads program is far superior where we hunt on V.I.

Moosetang
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
By far the best mapping program for the Garmin Units are the BC Backroad version. They have a lot more of the old roads and trails than the Garmin Topo. As well all the Management units are on there. They show a lot more lakes as well. Rec campsites are in there too. Just an all round better product for the money. Used mine up in the Moberly area and the Ft St James area and really noticed a difference. All the ATV club and Snowmobole club trails are in there too. Great product.

DRAW
10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't have a GPS but I'm looking at the 60csx. My question is should i buy it for 219 (Costco) or wait and save up money for a higher end????

Little Red Man
10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah..I saw that deal at Costco as well...really good price, but for a reason; this unit, although a really good one, is being overshadowed by the newer models features and functionality

Anyway, I did a bunch of comparisons of the 60 csx and the newer Garmin models...And also had a chance to use a buddies Oregon 500t...my decision was to wait and save a few more pennies, and buy a more recent model.....