PDA

View Full Version : Hunting 5-04 B&C looking for advice

ravensfoot
10-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I got drawn for moose this Oct 15-31 in region 5-04 B&C. I've never hunted this area before and was looking for advice on roads, possible camp spots, hunt tips and things to look out for. I will be pulling a travel trailer and quads. Anyone going to be in that area? I wouldn't mind hooking up for a beer and to share stories. Thanks All!!

lilhoss
10-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Turn off the Bella Coola highway at Riske Creek and take the Farwell Canyon Rd. into the area.They are usually hauling logs from the back country out that way so the road is in good shape.If you have any mechanical breakdowns,usually a log truck,hunting crew,etc to come along.Some rec sites around Scum Lake,right up into the west side of Big Creek,etc,etc.Get a backroad mapbook,it shows alot of the old cart trails which you can cross with the quads.There are lots of puddles and sideroads,trails,etc.so take a little extra quad & truck fuel.Cheap gas west of Hanceville on the highway on the Toosey band or at Lee's corner Hanceville.Depending on the weather the moose will be a little post rut.Watch the timber edges early morning and evening.The cows will still have a bull hanging with them somewhere so be patient when you see one.Mid day they tend to wander into the timber and either bed or slow feed.There are alot of small natural meadows through that area as well,so a high vantage point with optics works good as well.Good luck.

ravensfoot
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Lilhos,

That is fantastic insight, thank you very much for the advice. We're really looking forward to this trip. There are two possible camp spots we were considering and I was wondering what your thought on them might be. First site is at the Klokut Lake and the second is at Big Lake, just east of Vedan Lake. :-D

ramabercrombie@hotmail.co
10-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi there. I am looking into going out in the same area for deer do you have anyideas for me? I have only drifted the chilcotin river once and thats all ive seen of the canyon but what I saw of it made me wanna hunt it. I love the open planes like that. but have never hunted that type of area before. is there many deer there?

10-25-2010, 10:32 PM
hi there. I guess nobody is willing to help me out here. I am a new hunter and have passed up alot of smaller bucks this year in hopes of shooting a 4 point Ive heard the gang ranch area is good and bad. i just really am wanting to get my hands on a big deer and im wondering what area I should be in for the rut and when the rut starts. I am from quesnel so closer the better but not to huge of a deal. you can pm me if you would be willing thanks

dino
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
hi there. I guess nobody is willing to help me out here. I am a new hunter and have passed up alot of smaller bucks this year in hopes of shooting a 4 point Ive heard the gang ranch area is good and bad. i just really am wanting to get my hands on a big deer and im wondering what area I should be in for the rut and when the rut starts. I am from quesnel so closer the better but not to huge of a deal. you can pm me if you would be willing thanks
clearwater!!!

Sangstercraft
10-26-2010, 09:50 AM
clearwater!!!

Ravensfoot: I already sent you a PM about all I knew of that area, so I'll just try to help Ramaaaa

I went through the Gang Ranch area two weeks ago. It was a long bumpy ride, but I did see a large sow and three cubs, and deer on two separate instances. An hour before Gang Ranch (headed north) were a few large mulie does. Maybe a km after the actual ranch I came across 15 or so mulies, only one was a spiker, but seeing as it was dusk and visibility wasn't great, there could have been a buck in the treeline. They were right in a farmer's field.. So maybe you should approach the ranch house there and ask around about where you could hunt. Better yet, try to call them, as it's a long drive in there.
Good luck.
Sangstercraft

10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
thank you ive really wanted to get into this area and im just not sure if I should be hunting high or low in the 1st and second week of november.

srupp
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
any snow out there and the does and fawns will start to move down or to the clay breaks along the FRaser River..the smaller bucks will follow after with 12-20" of snow..the big guys will stay up high untill pushed down with up to 30 " of snow..look for steep terrain and tough to access areas for bigger deer..

In spring we see up to 3500 deer in groups, and there are numerous groups... along the fraser river down by the Gang.. now thats Resident and MIGRATORY deer numbers...try towards the old gold mine SOUTH of the rd..4th or 5th benches ..
Steven

10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
thanks for the info ill let you guys know how I did thanks guys.

srupp
10-31-2010, 12:21 AM
I was coming in from waaaaaaaay out west..Chilco lake in the work truck..and who do I see but Ravensfoot..with his Ravensfoot badging on his truck, and his trailer another trailer and truck and another truck with quads..seen em @ Lees Corner coming in from his moose hunt..honked and waved..but they all looked puzzled...hmmm never seen friendly Paramedics???:confused: lol..

looked like a convoy all the way to Sheep creek bridge with their own red and white lead car..

didnt see any obvious signs of moose or deer carcasses...:confused: but I am sure they were successfull..:wink:...non looked smiley faced..

cheers Steven

ravensfoot
11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I was coming in from waaaaaaaay out west..Chilco lake in the work truck..and who do I see but Ravensfoot..with his Ravensfoot badging on his truck, and his trailer another trailer and truck and another truck with quads..seen em @ Lees Corner coming in from his moose hunt..honked and waved..but they all looked puzzled...hmmm never seen friendly Paramedics???:confused: lol..

looked like a convoy all the way to Sheep creek bridge with their own red and white lead car..

didnt see any obvious signs of moose or deer carcasses...:confused: but I am sure they were successfull..:wink:...non looked smiley faced..

cheers Steven

Chuckles,

We saw the Red & White Pass and wave. Flashed the high beams a couple of times and tried to keep up but dang those units go fast through the curves. We were enjoying seeing all the roadside game including the skunk that we almost ran over. Lots of happy faces with a Moose and a Deer safely tucked into the back of the quad hauling pick-up. All hanging nicely in the personal meat shop cooler at home now. BIG Thanks to Rupp and Stresd and others for all the great tips for a rocking great trip in the Chilcoot. I'll be posting full story and pics after I get to all the work I missed while away. :mrgreen::-D

Quite the procession of vehicles heading west on the #20, counted about 15 vehicles with 4way flashers on.

srupp
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Greg..looking forward to the photos, glad you were successful...and safe..oh ya recognized I might have been in the work truck..lol

The 20 vehicles with 4 way lights flashing was a funeral procession..the first pick up had a casket in it...en route to one of the reserves grave yards..

I was 8 hours into o/t for a grand total of a 22 hour shift $%*$$$%*()()* pretty tired went home and slept...didnt hear the phone..only had 8 hrs till my next nite shift...maybe later in Nov when your back we will do coffee

cheers
Steven