PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: Deer Calling. Binoculars.

PointMan
10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I guess I could have put these in 2 separate threads, but figured might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Two things;

1: I just bought a cheap deer call, you know the type, it has a reed and an o-ring that you slide for different sounds. What call is best for what time of year, I found a site that gives me an idea but it's American, not sure if geography is going to have much to do with rutting seasons between US and Canada.

2: Any suggestions on a reasonable pair of binoculars between $200 and $300? I have an old pair of Milos that are great for in the vehicle, but WAY too heavy to cart around in the bush. I'd like to find something local if I can, don't want to have to wait for shipping with the hunting season just getting to prime time.

yzchamp
10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
nikon monarch 10x42... check on ebay..

Shooter
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Just bought my son some Vortex Bino's for $169, great glass. I have another set of Vortex for my wife, They are the Diamondbacks and were $229, great glass. I have Vortex Vipers and were about $600, great glass. I believe Grouse River Outfitters carries Vortex and if I am not mistaken they are in Kelowna or Vernon and are a site sponser as well.

Blktail
10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
X's 2 on the Vortex Diamondbacks. Guaranteed for life. Great optics. Not too heavy and good in low light. I just got the 8x42 and couldn't be happier.

Chuck
10-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Regards the deer call.................You hit the nail right on the head.
If you've never heard deer talk, how are you to know what to say?
Maybe American deer speak a different dialect or something than Canadian deer too.

Personally, I just use a grunt tube to stop fleeing deer to give me a chance at a standing shot. I hate running shots - it just spoils good meat more often than not.

bc kid
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
yeo any of the vortex line best bang for your buck and grouse creek outfiters is on hwy 97 in kelowna acrsoss from jakebsons gm

oldtimer
10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Check with Mark at Omineca sports for a set of Bushell excursion XP great glasses at a good price. Also the Vortex line is good as well. Mike

Bow Walker
10-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Grouse River Outfitters offers Vortex Diamondback 10x42's for $259.00.....

http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_10x42_Diamondback_Binoculars_p/opt-000030.htm

1-877-547-6873

digger dogger
10-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Deer call! Buy a "Deer talk" call, they are about the size of a big pack of matches, black with a blue elastic band. 10-15 bux. Try blowing on the call when ur about to leave an area that you can see deer in. (hide, so they cant see you) it gets them to come right up and check out whats going on, FAST..
Wail into it, like a wounded rabbit..

swampthing
10-02-2010, 08:06 AM
I have never found a so called deer call, aside from rattling. When still hunting I carry somthing called the " deer stopper". This can make a very loud or quiet noise. If you walk into deer that sense you are there, you make a very quiet "deer noise". This has worked for me to calm deer down. The main purpose of this neat little tool is to stop spooked deer. If you spook away the buck of your dreams, blowing on this loudly may stop it long enough for a shot. It works. If the deer has winded you, the jig is us. The book by Dr. Valerious Guist called mule deer is a great book to get. It says that deer talk non-stop, only in a voice that we cant here. Have fun.

swampthing
10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Digger dog just put up a reply at the same time as me. This is the same tool I use. Put a string through it and hang it around your neck so it is ready in a seconds notice.

CanuckShooter
10-02-2010, 09:30 AM
X137 on the Vortex Diamondback....got mine for $150 [supposed to have cosmetic defects].....thought they might not be that good when ordered and had planned on giving them to the wife for use around the house if they were no good....suprisingly enough I am still using them for hunting, not the $800 Leupolds I was wanting but quite good for the price.

bobboa
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
nikon monarch 10x42... check on ebay..

I just bought a pair of Nikon monarchs ATB 10x42 and love them. They even came with a guarantee from Nikon that if anything happens to them they will fix them or replace them for $10.00.

PointMan
10-02-2010, 02:15 PM
What about Redfield Rebels? Vernon Outdoor Store has a pair for about $250 in 10x42, seems a bit steep compared to the Redfield web site, but can't think of another retailer nearby that would carry them so I can make a price comparison.

Bow Walker
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I just bought a pair of Nikon monarchs ATB 10x42 and love them. They even came with a guarantee from Nikon that if anything happens to them they will fix them or replace them for $10.00.
The Vortex V.I.P. warranty doesn't cost anything - except for shipping the product back.

Kevin So
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Vortex diamond backs, love it so far. Have grunt call, agree with others, it will stop them long enough for a shot. Never actually been able to "call" them it. I was glassing a couple of fawns tonight at dusk(with the diamondbacks), and used the grunt call to see their reactions. One frozed for good 30 seconds and other one looked at my direction and splited!) Glass worked good at low light for the money, and grunt call I am really not sure if other deers actuAlly care Or actually scare of it!

open-sights
10-03-2010, 07:09 AM
What about Redfield Rebels? Vernon Outdoor Store has a pair for about $250 in 10x42, seems a bit steep compared to the Redfield web site, but can't think of another retailer nearby that would carry them so I can make a price comparison.
Wanstals, Powderkeg Merritt, Valley Firearm, Westside Store in Salmon Arm, Northern Troutfitter in PG, Omenicca Source for Sports, Wholesale Sports (recently added) etc - lots of places are carrying the line now.

igojuone
10-03-2010, 07:16 AM
yeo any of the vortex line best bang for your buck and grouse creek outfiters is on hwy 97 in kelowna acrsoss from jakebsons gm

Actually they are across from the Brick, Grand Ten Theatre and White Spot at McCurdy/Enterprise corner.

knighthunter
10-03-2010, 07:18 AM
I have never found a so called deer call, aside from rattling. When still hunting I carry somthing called the " deer stopper". This can make a very loud or quiet noise. If you walk into deer that sense you are there, you make a very quiet "deer noise". This has worked for me to calm deer down. The main purpose of this neat little tool is to stop spooked deer. If you spook away the buck of your dreams, blowing on this loudly may stop it long enough for a shot. It works. If the deer has winded you, the jig is us. The book by Dr. Valerious Guist called mule deer is a great book to get. It says that deer talk non-stop, only in a voice that we cant here. Have fun.

If deer talk non-stop, but we can't hear them, then instead of buying a deer grunt or call, maybe you should be looking at some kind of super-dooper hearing aid. LOL.

hoho
10-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I bought the Nikon at London Drug up Vernon SquareMall,price is reasonable but it served me good for the last 6 years.