PDA

View Full Version : EK Cow season sucsess

sawmill
10-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Just curious as to how many got their cow elk in the EK this season.Wife and I each got one ,I heard a local butcher had over 300 come in.

Everett
10-01-2010, 08:16 AM
We got two as well.

averagejoe
10-01-2010, 08:18 AM
great no elk down there next year.:-|

204rug.ftw
10-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Heading out this morning for my leh cow down there.. Hopefully we fill our tags :)

Chuck
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I've heard it's gonna be a war come daylight October 1 - esp in region 4.

rocksteady
10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
From my thread you can see that I took one, a friend of my father in law took one and.....

ANOTHER HBC member took one yesterday and was with another partner who took one last evening....:confused:

Fisher-Dude
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Eastkoot and I lucked out, finding two cows on the last day of our hunt.

From what I saw, I'd peg success rates at 10% or so, which isn't too far removed from the bull season. It's certainly not the "gimme" that many thought it would be.

Everett
10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
It was gimme for the locals the folks from the coast did not seem to be very succesful.
There will be plenty of Elk for next year.

Fisher-Dude
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
It was gimme for the locals the folks from the coast did not seem to be very succesful.
There will be plenty of Elk for next year.

Agreed. Without eastkoot's local knowledge of the area, especially of the private property boundaries and the elk's habits in the areas we hunted, I think shithouse luck would be the only reason for success.

M.Dean
10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Just talked to a friend of mine, he said a couple of friends from town went down for the Cow Calf season and came back with 2.

Kody94
10-01-2010, 02:37 PM

There are over 20,000 elk in the trench, and probably only a few thousand hunters. There will still be lots next year.

What I am amazed at this year so far is the number of whitetails! Seeing them EVERYWHERE!

Mule deer, not so much. Not really a fan of the any-buck season in October for parts of the EK yet...would rather it had come after a couple years of thinning the whities. They are a long way from being recovered in 4-02, 4-03, 4-22 and 4-23, IMHO.

10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
There are over 30,000 elk in the trench, and probably only a few thousand hunters. There will still be lots next year.

What I am amazed at this year so far is the number of whitetails! Seeing them EVERYWHERE!

Mule deer, not so much. Not really a fan of the any-buck season in October for parts of the EK yet...would rather it had come after a couple years of thinning the whities. They are a long way from being recovered in 4-02, 4-03, 4-22 and 4-23, IMHO.

I think cumulative ungulate populations (mule deer, white tailed deer, and elk) are at spatial carrying capacity in the Trench and the mule deer population cannot/will not expand any further regardless of mule deer management strategies until elk and WTD densities are reduced.

I don't know how successful we're going to be at accomplishing that? We're killing more elk now than in the mid-eighties when cows are included, and we don't seem to be having a huge impact on elk populations.

Many other jurisdictions have tried to reduce WTD populations through hunting and it just doesn't seem to work. It appears the only thing that's going to reduce the WTD population is winter kill, and even then they bounce back in 2 or 3 years. Right after a major winter kill event would be a good time to shoot the crap out of WTD to prevent another population explosion and give the mule deer herd a chance to grow.

Having said that, and even though I'm not a big fan of it either, I don't think shooting bucks alone is going to hurt the overall population of mule deer. It certainly has a good chance to impact the buck/doe ratio however.

Far as I'm concerned right now when one considers mule deer and ungulate habitat conditions, the more cow elk and WTD that are hanging in butcher shops the better off we'll be in the long-term.

Kody94
10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I think cumulative ungulate populations (mule deer, white tailed deer, and elk) are at spatial carrying capacity in the Trench and the mule deer population cannot/will not expand any further regardless of mule deer management strategies until elk and WTD densities are reduced.

I don't know how successful we're going to be at accomplishing that? We're killing more elk now than in the mid-eighties when cows are included, and we don't seem to be having a huge impact on elk populations.

Many other jurisdictions have tried to reduce WTD populations through hunting and it just doesn't seem to work. It appears the only thing that's going to reduce the WTD population is winter kill, and even then they bounce back in 2 or 3 years. Right after a major winter kill event would be a good time to shoot the crap out of WTD to prevent another population explosion and give the mule deer herd a chance to grow.

Having said that, and even though I'm not a big fan of it either, I don't think shooting bucks alone is going to hurt the overall population of mule deer. It certainly has a good chance to impact the buck/doe ratio however.

Far as I'm concerned right now when one considers mule deer and ungulate habitat conditions, the more cow elk and WTD that are hanging in butcher shops the better off we'll be in the long-term.

I agree on all counts, including that the any buck season won't appreciably hurt the muley pop'n. In the places I'm familiar with though, they could stand less pressure rather than more if we ever hope to recover them.

Based on the number of whities I am seeing, I'd like to see the bag limit increased! As you say, hunting is not likely to do it...especially with a one buck and one doe bag limit.

After the numbers come in on the elk, I'm betting the impact on pop'n won't be great there either. If thats the case, I'm not sure what to do next to achieve the harvest targets. Making the bulls 3 or 5pt or better will just reduce the number of cows shot.

10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
After the numbers come in on the elk, I'm betting the impact on pop'n won't be great there either. If thats the case, I'm not sure what to do next to achieve the harvest targets. Making the bulls 3 or 5pt or better will just reduce the number of cows shot.

I'm guessing all we can do is increase the length of the cow elk GOS and increasing the WTD doe bag limits until objectives are met.

Kody94
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm guessing all we can do is increase the length of the cow elk GOS and increasing the WTD doe bag limits until objectives are met.

True. We could add 10 days (or even 15) to the cow GOS without impacting the migratory elk.

Anyhoo, will be interesting to see the preliminary numbers as soon as they can have them.

sawmill
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Trouble is though.....wife and I can take 4 deer but who needs all that meat after bagging 2 elk?I think if the winter is at all like this summer we will see traditional snow fall for the first time in ten years.An Assload of snow,that will impact a lot of game here.Ten years of super mild winters have allowed the game population to explode,it`s hard to find a doe that doesn`t have twins around here.Not complaining mind you,but hunting season isn`t putting even a minor dent in game numbers in the EK.Hell,the Hiway gets more than us,seen five roadkills last week between Kimberley and Cranny.

10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Trouble is though.....wife and I can take 4 deer but who needs all that meat after bagging 2 elk?I think if the winter is at all like this summer we will see traditional snow fall for the first time in ten years.An Assload of snow,that will impact a lot of game here.Ten years of super mild winters have allowed the game population to explode,it`s hard to find a doe that doesn`t have twins around here.Not complaining mind you,but hunting season isn`t putting even a minor dent in game numbers in the EK.Hell,the Hiway gets more than us,seen five roadkills last week between Kimberley and Cranny.

You are correct, winter kill will be the ultimate controlling factor.

10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
To get the thread back on track, I'm guessing from the stories around town that there's at least 10 to 12 (most likely more) cow elk from the Cranbrook/Kimberley area that ended up in freezers up here in the Golden area.

Kody94
10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I know of about a half dozen that were killed by "non-locals". Most of the elk hunters I know locally did not bother to hunt cows, or spikes, or were unsuccessful....maybe they were holding out for a monster WK bull? ;)

aggiehunter
10-01-2010, 06:31 PM
6616...and now your talking about increasing it...maybe your handle should be 666....FD...your 10% success ratio is waaaaay off!

rocksteady
10-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Agreed. Without eastkoot's local knowledge of the area, especially of the private property boundaries and the elk's habits in the areas we hunted, I think shithouse luck would be the only reason for success.

From what I saw there was so much pressure that the elk went nocturnal/ into hiding and I also noticed that a lot of the non-locals were driving/quading everywhere without using those two things below the waist to get anywhere... I think a lot of them figured just drive around til you saw the one you wanted, like the Clydes at Fort Steele....

Reality check....

The luck has little or nothing to do with the private land boundaries...

Elk habits ...Maybe...

Fisher-Dude
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
6616...and now your talking about increasing it...maybe your handle should be 666....FD...your 10% success ratio is waaaaay off!

That's funny Ern, I didn't see you there for two weeks to get an idea of the number of hunters in the area and an idea of how many had success.

Pulling numbers out of your ass again, or just crying the blues about a fantasized "slaughter" that should have been bow only for you and your pals?

Jelvis
10-01-2010, 07:21 PM
How many of those cows were pregnant with twin calves?
Jel .. What percentage according to you expert semi-pro wannabe bio's? lol

elkhunter1
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Was there got our 2 elk and 2 white tail.
Yes rick,s fine meats had to close down 1 day
way more than 300 animals.
saw lots of game.
pased up on black bear.

Kody94
10-01-2010, 07:30 PM

LOL. Who the hell knows. Their eggs may have just been fertilized (ie during the early part of the rut), or they may have been fertilized during the second eustrus, or maybe not at all. I doubt any of them would have had discernable embryos yet.

Jelvis
10-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Cows have babies lol .. Young bull do not have a womb but have other parts.
Jel .. Some elk anatomy for free lol ..

Kody94
10-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Cows have babies lol .. Young bull do not have a womb but have other parts.
Jel .. Some elk anatomy for free lol ..

What??:confused:

Jelvis
10-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Kody got it lol .. got yah 94 ..
Jel .. messin with your mind .. just a little bitty ..

Seeadler
10-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Nothing for me, I was only seeing antlerless elk during the old man hunt, once I got my turn, couldn't find one.

Fisher-Dude
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM

http://livingindryden.org/images/baby/sungivaSandbox05082010B.jpg

10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
6616...and now your talking about increasing it...maybe your handle should be 666....

What the sam hill are you talking about Aggie....????

aggiehunter
10-02-2010, 12:19 AM
FD...just pointing out the obvious. 6616 didn't you suggest an increase in Elk harvest numbers....why not take it cautious.

10-02-2010, 12:52 AM
What's so obvious about it, or is that just your latest catch phrase (see post in Rodd's thread on WK bulls). I'd call it your personal perspective rather than the obvious...!

10-02-2010, 12:57 AM
6616 didn't you suggest an increase in Elk harvest numbers....why not take it cautious.

I am suggesting a very basic wildlife management practice should be applied,,,,,, that is season lengths should be adjusted until populations objectives are met.
Isn't that obvious....?????

10-02-2010, 01:00 AM
...why not take it cautious.

Isn't that what we've been doing for the last 5 years and as several have pointed out,,, it's not working?

Fisher-Dude
10-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Maybe Naggiehunter needs to read this report (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/acat/public/viewReport.do?reportId=19918)and educate himself (if that's possible) about elk management. :?

sawmill
10-02-2010, 07:28 AM
And again he speaks but his voice is muffled because his head is so far up his ass.

Jelvis
10-02-2010, 08:02 AM
sawmill .. You really hurt me deep on that one sentence .. I'm walking wounded .. way down inside
Jelly Head Cheese

aggiehunter
10-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Don't take it personal Jelly....motto of da' day for deez guys...X the Zone X Elk.....cause I done read it in a repote! PS...And Dozys' gotta gozies ya know!

sawmill
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
sawmill .. You really hurt me deep on that one sentence .. I'm walking wounded .. way down inside
Jelly Head Cheese
Sorry man but some of the things you say are just...well.........you know.:confused:Any cow that got bred in the last few weeks will be carrying a few divided cells in her womb.It ain`t like we are hunting them in March!Besides pal,drive over here one day and watch 150 cows and calves bail across the Hiway every morning and watch the clean up crews drag the deaders away.I would way rather see folks put some of that bounty in the freezer.

Fisher-Dude
10-02-2010, 12:52 PM
And Jealous will vigorously defend their "rights" :roll: to do so.

Jelvis
10-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Never ever shot an elk or whitetail so your assuming wrong taco breath ..
Jelly .. fd's assuming again lol .. makin an (ass) out of (U) and (me) .. lol .. Detroit still sucks ..

duckhunt
10-02-2010, 07:34 PM
i got one also

Jelvis
10-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Everyone is getting a cow elk this year, it's amazing, and real good meat, second only to the moose meat ..
Jello .. ( Hunting fello ) .. Stairway To Heaven .. There walks a lady we all know who shines white light and wants to show how everything still turns to GOLD!
Led Zepplen .. Cowz N Calves .. Meat so Tender N Tasty .. Heavenly .. Wapiti R Cool .. White Rump

sawmill
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Never ever shot an elk or whitetail so your assuming wrong taco breath ..
Jelly .. fd's assuming again lol .. makin an (ass) out of (U) and (me) .. lol .. Detroit still sucks ..
Then why are you such an expert on everything?

dragonslayer
10-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Just got back from the ek 0ct 2 and we took a 6x6 bull and a cow on opening day about an hour apart in the evening

pescado
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Just back. 2 elk - cows, 2 mullies and a whitey. 2 of us. No trophies but good eating this winter. Fun hunt.

sawmill
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Just picked up the wifes cow on Sunday from the butcher,I had to buy another freezer!That`s a problem I can live with,scored a nice little one for 75$ and completely filled it.Couple more loads of firewood and that`s it for the winter.Sure are good eating,been on a straight elk diet for a week so far:mrgreen:

Kirby
10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I tagged one in the archery season. I'll be back next year dragging my dad along to try and take 2 next year.

Kirby

Buckmeister
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Three of us took the trip over and came back with 2 elk from the cow season. One of us saw a MONSTER whitey but didn't have enough time to get a shot off.

I'm under the impression that the cow season is an effort to get the LOCAL/RESIDENT elk population knocked down a bit, seeing as how the season is closed before most of the migratory elk come into the area. The hopes are to give some relief to the farmers in the area from the intrusive resident elk. Thats my guess anyways and I could be wrong.

Talked with a local and he was super happy that people were tagging out on cows. "Thats means there will be less hunters out there going for bulls!", he said. And he really likes hunting for bulls!

10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm under the impression that the cow season is an effort to get the LOCAL/RESIDENT elk population knocked down a bit, seeing as how the season is closed before most of the migratory elk come into the area. The hopes are to give some relief to the farmers in the area from the intrusive resident elk. Thats my guess anyways and I could be wrong.

you are correct.