PDA

View Full Version : Good Moose Cow or Bull CALLS???

Ogopogo
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Going up to Prince George (7-7) with the outlaws for my first Moose hunt on Oct.9 for a week. By reading a bunch of forums on here i'm just wondering if theres any good brand or type of calls that you guys favour. Were going for spike fork or calf as non of us have a LEH. Is this even a good area? The father in law seems to like this area. Any info on types of calls cow or bull and brands would be greatly appreciated gentleman.

moosinaround
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Here moosey moosey!! :wink:

Ogopogo
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Here moosey moosey!! :wink:

I'll give'r a try. Or I might roll up some birchbark.

lip_ripper00
09-30-2010, 10:02 PM
http://usscouts.org/ab/ab2.cgi?action=view_activity&a_id=32

Simple and it works:wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/archive/index.php/t-151.html

heres a moldy oldie

s-dog
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I would say your only chance of calling out jr swamp-donkey would be a cow call,young moose could feel threatened by bull calls and dont want to fight [yet].I would get some calling cds or vids and take it serious and practise,its not that hard.Work the low lands hard and walk in quietly rather than drive,good luck g-bears r there so be smart and hang meat high if you score..:-D

shawnwells
09-30-2010, 10:29 PM
for ten years ive used budweiser beer box and duct tape for bull horn....works like a hot damn and comes with free beer...

moosinaround
10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
for ten years ive used budweiser beer box and duct tape for bull horn....works like a hot damn and comes with free beer...
Free beer??!!! I am going to giver a try!!!:) Moosin

TIKKA TIGER
10-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey Ogopogo,
I made a great moose call for about $4.00. It's "SIMPLY" Great! I took a 1.75 litre juice container of "SIMPLY ORANGE". I then cut the bottom off the container and put a couple of layers of heat duct tape around it for protection from the sharp edges. The mouth opening on this container is just the right size for calling. I used the call yesterday and can't believe how nice it sounds. I leave the cap on it when not in use. By the way... it doesn't matter which one you purchase... "WITH PULP" or "WITHOUT PULP"... they both work the same!!! I recommend calling with your own voice, it just takes a little practice. Watch some videos on calling moose and in no time you will have it mastered. It doesn't have to be perfect for moose to respond to your calling. Good luck with your upcoming hunt. :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/Copyofdcp_2135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/Copyofdcp_2136.jpg

boneswells
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Ill vouch for shawn he's called in more moose with a bud box then buds hes drank! HAHA seriously I use a homemade bud call as well and just called in 4 bulls in 3 days....you do the math..that S#&T works!

moose2
10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I would say your only chance of calling out jr swamp-donkey would be a cow call,young moose could feel threatened by bull calls and dont want to fight [yet].I would get some calling cds or vids and take it serious and practise,its not that hard.Work the low lands hard and walk in quietly rather than drive,good luck g-bears r there so be smart and hang meat high if you score..:-D

x2 If your looking for any bull stick with the cow calling. Many younger bulls have been beat up already by then. They may still answer bull calls but they probaly will be heading away. If this happens change locations and wait 15 min or so and go back to the cow call. I have done this a few times and have got them back. I just use the hands/pinched nostrals method to call. Good luck on your hunt hope to see some pictures.
MIKE

lightmag
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
called a small bull this morning with just hands cupping mouth and pinching nose off, small bull came running in!! came into 70 yards in heavy willow and must have winded me because he turned and left?? never was able to ID him as a immy, but he didn't have paddles?? back out there tonight!!

moosinaround
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
called a small bull this morning with just hands cupping mouth and pinching nose off, small bull came running in!! came into 70 yards in heavy willow and must have winded me because he turned and left?? never was able to ID him as a immy, but he didn't have paddles?? back out there tonight!!
Ya those willows in there are thick. You get out of my country Mr, and quit talkin on your cell while drivin too eh!! Passed you day before yesterday on the way back from the morning hunt! See ya out there! Moosin

rattle e 6speed
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I am also a fairly junior hunter, but all I did was watched a s#^tload of youtube, and practised a little, and was able to call in two bulls at the same time this year. They came in to a cow call, and we got them both(LEH any bull). I also wanted to buy a call, but Iguess I didn't need one. Besides, if you are walking at all, it's just one more thing to carry and bang off stuff when you are trying to be silent. If you see a cow, keep on looking, cause there is a decent chance there may be a young one near to her. Good luck. Calling is fun and effective.

Sangstercraft
10-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been doing one long call followed by two shorts, and waiting for at least 5 minutes (and up to 20 minutes) between sets.. I've heard from others that they do two longs, then a few shorts. What works for you??

shawnwells
10-14-2010, 05:31 AM
i mix it up...i guess for the most part 2 long and 1 short....10 minutes between the first set and 15 between after that...i wear a watch....sometimes its hard to wait cuz i get bored...and if i get answered i shut up totally and try to bring him past as opposed to letting him pin point you...it works well...if he hangs up then it can get a little stupid...and you'll have to try all the other tricks to get him to pop...if its getting dark you got nothing to lose....fix bayonnets!!

Sangstercraft
10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey Shawn how long would you wait once he seems to get hung up?

I was calling to a bull in a thicket, he'd grunt back, I'd wait for 5 or 10 minutes and then do a call again.. grunt grunt, but wouldn't show his face. And it was just at dawn, when you'd think he would be ok with coming out...? Eventually he stopped replying, and later that day I went in for a stalk, but no luck.

moose2
10-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I am almost opposite from Shawn. Once I get the bull answer I stay at it hard. After his grunts are done I use one long cow call. He will usually start grunting agian. I continue this until he shows sometimes they come quite close.
MIKE

Sangstercraft
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I am almost opposite from Shawn. Once I get the bull answer I stay at it hard. After his grunts are done I use one long cow call. He will usually start grunting agian. I continue this until he shows sometimes they come quite close.
MIKE

The one I was calling had a cow in the vicinity, so I figured he was happy with what he had and wasn't going to bother leaving her and coming out to see who I was (my moose-psychology attempt):-?

shawnwells
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
if you got good cover and little wind i guess that would work...i been sticking with the same method for my whole career...its how i was taught by my moose mentors and its worked well so why change ya know? but whatever gets the job done is great...ive called in lots of bulls that hang up tho too...whether theyre with cows ( ive had some exciting call offs with cows)or nervous or not all that excited to mate or young or what i dont know...if its morning and they seem like theyre not coming out or farther away....a guy can work in...like move to them and try and get a look at em...and if its evening and its close to dark...i dunno...i usually would just try in the morning...as opposed to freak em out...im no big expert...its just whats worked for me for 10 or 12 years...Sangstercraft.. as far as how long to wait...i cant say...case specific...but usually if you wait just until the last twinge of shooting light....theyll show..

mudNblood
10-14-2010, 08:31 PM
This years moose was the 2nd of three bulls that we had a tease off with. They were snortin and poppin back at our combo cow and young bull calls. We walked in to the tree line at day break and set up 100 yards apart and my buddy did cow calls and I did young bull calls. The three were excited but wouldn't show for fifteen minutes of calling back and forth then first a small paddler peered down over the edge where we could see him and a minute later this mature tri palm took his turn peaking down to see what all the commotion was. I did not hesitate to shoot as his "three in the tree"was very visible at 65 yards!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0841.JPG

shawnwells
10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
15 minutes thats pretty good...one night i had a standoff for 2 and a half hours with a bull...was getting to think he won because the last grunts i heard were pretty far away and it had been 20 minutes...or so since i heard a peep...then just at the last twinge of shooting light...he drifted in silently into my shooting lane about 110 yards from me...one second later boom 6x5 bull...and i was 2 seconds away from giving up for the night....hey wait a sec...i was 2 seconds away from giving up when my elk came in bugling this year....i think i just taught myself something...thanks to this thread...

BCLongshot
10-14-2010, 08:44 PM
This years moose was the 2nd of three bulls that we had a tease off with. They were snortin and poppin back at our combo cow and young bull calls. We walked in to the tree line at day break and set up 100 yards apart and my buddy did cow calls and I did young bull calls. The three were excited but wouldn't show for fifteen minutes of calling back and forth then first a small paddler peered down over the edge where we could see him and a minute later this mature tri palm took his turn peaking down to see what all the commotion was. I did not hesitate to shoot as his "three in the tree"was very visible at 65 yards!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0841.JPG

I use my hands and sometimes a birch bark.

Dude I took the twin of that bull.

Beauty