PDA

View Full Version : Immy Moose Hunting Techniques

Sooke Hunter
09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I am sure this has been posted many times before.....however couldn't find anything from the search menu!! Will be hunting west of Adams Lake early next week and would appreciate any tips regarding finding these guys!!:-DThanks!!

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
the best way to be assured you will see an "immy moose"????

is to be packing a LTD entry Mature Bull Moose only tag,,,,,,

Sooke Hunter
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
That's true for sure....but I do not have an LEH draw for that area. Just wondering if I should use a call (cow) or what other techniques I should exercise.:-D

hunter7413
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
bring along a stove pipe for a moose call and if the moose starts comin to fast just turn down the damper.thats my two cents

Sooke Hunter
09-30-2010, 08:48 PM
bring along a stove pipe for a moose call and if the moose starts comin to fast just turn down the damper.thats my two cents
Awsome....thanks man!!

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:54 PM
read the last few replies on thread "any moose around Vanderhoof",

same moose tactics all over at this time of year! good luck!:wink:

.300WSMImpact!
09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
keep the windows down, sometimes if they are up while driving for a long time in the woods they can fog due to elevation and climate changes,

thompson steel
09-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Moose are where you find them, weather thay are big bulls or immys. You would not be wasting your time by calling. Look at 15 year old boys if they hear a hot chick that they cant see they will try and get a look.

tomahawk
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM

That's frickin hilarious, thanks for making my day!! LOL

tomahawk
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Just wondering if I should use a call (cow) or what other techniques I should exercise.:-D

Cow call works better then a bull call on the little runts.

Sooke Hunter
09-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Cow call works better then a bull call on the little runts.
Thanks, Tomahawk!!:-D

Sooke Hunter
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I am sure this has been posted many times before.....however couldn't find anything from the search menu!! Will be hunting west of Adams Lake early next week and would appreciate any tips regarding finding these guys!!:-DThanks!!
Hey Jelly...tried sending you a PM but to no avail....any help regarding 3:37 immy moose hunting?:-D I appreciate your help!!

Laurence_Erickson
10-02-2010, 08:46 PM
where will you be camping to hunt this area ??

coach
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
It's been posted here many times before.. Often a spike bull stays with mom even after he's grown his first set of antlers. When you see a cow, pay attention to the surrounding area - he might be with her. I shot a nice bull in region 6 a few years ago that was in the company of a perfect fork horn and a cow. After I shot the mature bull, the cow and immy stood and watched for a good half hour while we went to work. I saw a nice 2 point a year later in a completely different area of the province who was with a mature bull and cow - prior to the immy season. Guys are right, moose are where you find them. Just like deer, however, they often aren't alone. Pay attention to animals you spot first, they will often inform you of other animals in their presence by pointing their ears in the direction of an animal that isn't immediately apparent. Cow calls definitely make more sense as an immature bull isn't in any position to get into a battle with a mature moose and his hormones aren't going to be raging like a big guy's.

Caveman
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
It's been posted here many times before.. Often a spike bull stays with mom even after he's grown his first set of antlers. When you see a cow, pay attention to the surrounding area - he might be with her. I shot a nice bull in region 6 a few years ago that was in the company of a perfect fork horn and a cow. After I shot the mature bull, the cow and immy stood and watched for a good half hour while we went to work. I saw a nice 2 point a year later in a completely different area of the province who was with a mature bull and cow - prior to the immy season. Guys are right, moose are where you find them. Just like deer, however, they often aren't alone. Pay attention to animals you spot first, they will often inform you of other animals in their presence by pointing their ears in the direction of an animal that isn't immediately apparent. Cow calls definitely make more sense as an immature bull isn't in any position to get into a battle with a mature moose and his hormones aren't going to be raging like a big guy's.

You're absolutely right on many points here. I have had uncanny success with these little guys. You almost always find them in the company of cows or in small bachelor groups. I don't even bother to call. Search out the cows and they are usually close by. During the rut, the mature bulls may chase the little guy off but he will tend to stay close

adamgarbett
10-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm going hard for the little fellas this year. Thanx for the advise all

tomahawk
10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Check the creeks in the area you choose.http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09024-2.jpg

Sooke Hunter
10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Makes sense to me....really appreciate your help!!:-D

Sooke Hunter
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey Jelly...tried sending you a PM but to no avail....any help regarding 3:37 immy moose hunting?:-D I appreciate your help!!
Well Jel.....any input...love reading your stuff!!:)

hoho
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
That's frickin hilarious, thanks for making my day!! LOL

Me too...:mrgreen: