PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a Spotting Scope

mnholt
09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
wondering how many guys actually pack in a spotting scope & tripod to glass hill sides, ridges, etc..? I assume very few hunters use a spotting scope and are more likely just to use bino's. curious as I've never seen a hunter with a spotting scope setup.

thx.

bridger
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
i use mine a lot sheep hunting also for moose and elk and deer hunting makes counting points a lot easier.

porcupine
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I used on for sheep and goat. I also bring one along in the truck or ATV when hunting moose. It can reall save a lot of time when you spot someting in the distance. Or it can keep you entertained on a really slow day.

Phil
09-30-2010, 08:15 PM
I pack one on my ATV from time to time when I know it will get used. I've been trying to pack it more often in a pack when hiking too but less often on that account.

Steeleco
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm of the opinion it's time to get one. Glassing is good, but nowadays I'm finding my 10x glasses just aren't enough for those long searches.
I know what I want, just have to sell one of the kids guns to pay for it. LOL

Bear Chaser
09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Once you start using a spotting scope you'll wonder how you ever did without. Matter of fact if I could only afford to buy binos or a spotting scope I'd go with the Leupold 12-40X or equivalent. At 12X it's a bit of a bulky monocular but still handy enough to pack in your hands. Mount it on a tripod and you can get serious about long range glassing. A friend of mine did just that for several years.

mnholt
09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
ok good to know, i'm going on a goat hunt this weekend and I'm packing in the spotting scope & tripod for an overnight hike n hunt. should be useful as I plan to glass the ridges and peaks to find them. I can see long range glassing useful for alpine type hunts. thx.

Rattler
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Never leave on a hunt without it...I spend more time behind my spotter than my binos.

BromBones
09-30-2010, 08:50 PM
For mountain hunting, obviously it's a must have.

For the usual moose/deer hunting, I don't see too many guys using them. A decent pair of 8 or 10x binocs and a good compact spotter in your daypack can do wonders to improve your success.

Can easily be the difference between finding an immature bull, or passing it off as a cow because you couldn't see any antler with your binocs.

wos
09-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Its a must have piece of gear for hunting any open area

knighthunter
09-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I've been using mine for many years now, only instead of a tripod, mine is taped to an old .22 rifle stock.I've found that is a lot quicker to get onto a spot than if it was mounted on a tripod.

Lillypuff
09-30-2010, 10:33 PM
never leave home without out saves many miles and many hours,

Brambles
10-01-2010, 12:34 AM
I alway pack my spotter, doesn't matter if I"m in the truck or backpacking in the bush. A discriminating hunter needs the ability to see the particulars and the added benefit of being able to pick appart the bush at distance is well worth the weight in the field.

landphil
10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I know what I want, just have to sell one of the kids to pay for it. LOL

There, I fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

Or at least that's what I'd have to do. No spotter for me for the cost reason alone.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2010, 03:38 AM
I don't pack mine when hunting whities, grouse and rabbitts:wink:...but other than that it, it always in my pack.

SSS

BCrams
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Always pack mine. Never know when I'll need it to check something out closer.

BCfishguy
10-01-2010, 07:31 PM
My Bushnell Elite 15-45 is always with me; sheep, elk, deer, even bear. Many times it has been the difference between a sighting and a kill (or avoiding a wasted stalk).

stattonrock
10-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I always have my spotting scope with me. I use it very regularily when hunting open terrain. Makes it easy to count to 4 from far away. Then I can decide if i want to go over and make a play or not.

1/2 slam
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't leave home without it.

kennyj
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
My spotting scope stays in my day pack from the beginning of summer until the end of hunting season.
kenny

Iltasyuko
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I started packing mine last season and now its always with me - defenitely worth it when viewing distant animals and also makes for some fun sight seeing of distance mountains when things are slow sitting in a spot for four hours waiting for dusk to come.