PDA

View Full Version : Best time for hunting bear?

Rhys
05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Me and my brother-in-law are heading out for bear on monday between Yale and Boston Bar. What time do bears usually start moving around? I hear they dont start moving until late morning, and then again just before dark, is that true? Or will they be out and about looking for food most of the day trying to bulk up?

This will be our first bear if we connect so any tips will help.

Thanks

Rhys

Barracuda
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Rhys we saw 4 today they seem to get busy from around 4 olcock on but we did notice soft scat from the morning.
came across him today but we decided to let him go
http://www.hunt101.com/img/404089.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=404089&c=500&z=1)

Foxer
05-09-2006, 11:23 PM
In the afternoon - i usually see 'em from about 3 oclock on, more as the afternoon goes on. But you never can say, and of course weather plays a role.

In the morning, i think for the most part they're out pretty early.

Gateholio
05-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Afternoon is always the best, but I see them first thing int he moringin sometimes.

But don't feel bad about sleeping in, spend most of the day being lazy and glassing and stuff. then really get serious around 3-4pm.:D

Best time seems to always be the last hour of daylight.Which makes it the least conveinient for recovery/tracking etc.;)

ratherbefishin
05-10-2006, 08:39 AM
I used to go out first thing in the morning-and we saw a few-but when we switched to hunting late afternoon, we saw a lot more.

bigwhiteys
05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
I am on the road hunting usually by 10am. And spend most of my earlier morning time searching the clearcuts and recountoured roads and have spotted several bears this way.

I also find that after it has rained really heavily the bears all of a sudden seem to just start piling out of the woodwork at any time of day.

At least thats what I have experienced hunting the far west coast.

We do have more frequent sightings as the day progresses but I wouldn't sell yourself short by waiting till late afternoon to hunt.

Bears are moving at pretty much anytime of day.

Right Place - Right Time.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Rhys
05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Okay thanks for the replies guys, I think we will get out there early and spend the whole day up until darkness. It will be good to be out anyways.

Rhys

Elkhound
05-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I am on the road hunting usually by 10am. And spend most of my earlier morning time searching the clearcuts and recountoured roads and have spotted several bears this way.

I also find that after it has rained really heavily the bears all of a sudden seem to just start piling out of the woodwork at any time of day.

At least thats what I have experienced hunting the far west coast.

We do have more frequent sightings as the day progresses but I wouldn't sell yourself short by waiting till late afternoon to hunt.

Bears are moving at pretty much anytime of day.

Right Place - Right Time.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Sounds right to me......but don't you mean the far "wet" coast:biggrin: