PDA

View Full Version : My Moose hunt

henderson
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Well its been close to year now. January 2nd I passed my PAL course, the week after I got my CORE course. My spring was full of dreaming and watching this forum like a hawk learning everything I could. A summer of countless days to the bush and the range practicing my shooting. Finally what seems like an eternity my day has come!

In the next hour I will be leaving for parts unknown to hopefully cut my first tag thanks LEH. My group won a moose draw and I am as excited as I can be!! 5 days in the bush looking for that elusive swamp donkey.

Wish me luck! I hope I have a great story and a great animal to share with all when I get home.

kennyj
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Good luck out there. Have a great trip.
kenny

Caveman
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Good Luck! Lot of pictures is a must around here. :wink:

09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Good luck! bring'em back

swampdonkey
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
good luck what region you heading to

Jelvis
09-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Purrrfect timing slendor son the swamp donks in honky tonk rut .. Peak
Jel .. You're a peak freak .. do some heavy duty calling .. calf call .. little cow
pow

LYKTOHUNT
09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Purrrfect timing slendor son the swamp donks in honky tonk rut .. Peak
Jel .. You're a peak freak .. do some heavy duty calling .. calf call .. little cow
pow
Truly beautiful:confused:

doubled
09-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Good luck, I am off on the same pursuit in a few hours myself. Pics are a must!!!

4 point
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Have a great time on your 1st moose hunt.

porcupine
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Good luck. I hope you get a big one and make a nice clean kill. remember that the shooting is onlypart of the hunting experience and you don't have to harvest an animal to have the trip of a lifetime.

BlacktailStalker
09-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Have a good time, don't take the shot if its less than perfect.

peashooter
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM
good luck, have fun. hope you can fill the freezer with good eats and make a pile of memories.

henderson
10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Well Im back in town now. Didnt get the moose but had an awesome time none the less..

Did see some cows up higher than I would have expected but it was warm as hell!! Saw one bull that we spooked up a cut driving up to it :( Too far of a shot for me, I tried closing in but it didn't work out he must have smelled me and away he went.

Did have a close encounter with a cow! What a thrill that was! Walked up this cut walked by this pile of old logs and BAM right there standing about twenty feet away was this cow! She spooked, prolly as much as me and ran 50 yard up and stood by a tree! No antlers, no shot so I just had to watch! Man it was super exciting! Closest I've ever been to a moose!

But I did take my first animal a rabbit followed by a grouse both went into the stew pot! Felt good to cook for the wifey something I brought home worked for.

All in all it was a great trip and I'll be heading back out in a couple weeks to see if we can fill those tags!!

Well heres my first harvested animal pics are a must so here yeah guys go.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs002.ash2/33448_485565869256_502854256_6716840_6059018_n.jpg

Mik
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, it's been said many times, it's not always about the kill! Sounds like you are off to a good start, good luck on the next trip.Persistence pays off

10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
If at first you dont succeed........
Keep at 'er youll get it done. And you are right as long as you are having a good time.

swampthing
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
You are a better man now that you hunt.

henderson
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
You are a better man now that you hunt.

Haha thanks swampthing! Ill be back out as soon as work slows down again. Do you guys think the rut will be over if I head back out in two weeks or so? Either way I'm going, but it would be nice if rut was still on.

Anyways thanks everyone for the good luck wishes and encouragement means a lot.

Oh yeah guess I truely am a member now of this fine website got my first Jelly comment... :D

henderson
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Well off again.

LEH is closing on Sunday for me so out I go! Hope to have better luck this time! Im more determined and know the area this time. So more time in the right areas. Got the new bino's in tow and a pissed off woman. "its halloween we're supposed to go to a party." I told her moose don't know what Halloween is and I can party when I get home... with a moose hopefully!

Well wish me luck...once again! Thanks to all for the help in the last couple weeks! And Thanks for all the pics of the swampers (at least I know they exist!) Good luck to everyone else this weekend. Ill tell the tale on Sunday!