PDA

View Full Version : Bella Coola Grizzly Hunting??

132mile
09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Well I have a Grizzly LEH for Bella Coola, and was planning to go mid October. Does anyone have any input if it will or even be possible to get down there due to the road wash-outs and recent flooding?

doubled
09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
You cannot get past Anahim Lake on Hwy 20. Talk is it will be closed for a while.

calvin L
09-30-2010, 08:19 AM
I talked to one of the boys my wife works with . he was told 8 weeks until he can get his truck out . Also the rental car . 2400. 00 later

4 point
09-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I heard yesterday BC ferries going to be running more trips in/out of Bella Coola so access will be there.

MB_Boy
09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
I heard yesterday BC ferries going to be running more trips in/out of Bella Coola so access will be there.

I was just going to say the same thing....posted and then saw your post at the same time 4 point.

132 Mile.....you're likely gonna have to get yourself to Port Hardy though. :-?

Sitkaspruce
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM
You will be hard pressed to go any where if you arrive there. Most of the logging roads are a write off, bridges gone, roads washed out and closed. I have first hand knowledge from work and it is not good up there.

Might have to look at writing the tag off.

Plus any bears around headed for the high country pretty damn fast!!!!

news release from yesterday

NEWS RELEASEFor Immediate Release2010TRAN0072-001168Sept. 29, 2010Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure PROGRESS ON HWY 20 REPAIRS, SUPPLIES TO BELLA COOLA BELLA COOLA - Highway 20 will soon be open as far west as Anahim Lake, emergency BC Ferries service to Bella Coola has begun, Bella Coola and Anahim Lake airports are open, and work is well underway to restore Highway 20 through to Bella Coola, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond announced today.

"With ferry service and an operational airport, there is some much-needed relief for residents in Bella Coola," said Bond. "In addition, we are making great progress in restoring Highway 20. However, there is significant damage and the work to reopen the road will take a couple of weeks."

Where work has been deemed safe, the maintenance contractor has been on site putting water streams back in their original channels, clearing out culverts and protecting the main structures on Highway 20. The highway is now passable in seven of the 14 damaged areas, including: * 30 km east of Anahim Lake, the Smoky Forest Service Road is being upgraded to bypass 4 km of damage around McClinchy Creek and will be open to light vehicle traffic this evening. * 27 km west of Anahim Lake, the Louie Creek Bridge has been repaired, allowing crews to move heavy equipment further west.

* Near Hagensborg, the water has receded enough over an 8 km length of Highway 20 to allow access from Bella Coola to Firvale. It's too early to provide a definitive time frame to restore the highway as some sections of highway are still under water and cannot be assessed and repaired until the water recedes.

Geotechnical assessments will continue as water levels allow. "The ministry is doing everything it can to reopen the highway as quickly as possible," said Bond. "Crews are working aggressively from each end of the closure and moving inward, and light plants are being utilized so work can take place around the clock." The ministry's maintenance contractor, Interior Roads Limited (IRL), will barge heavy equipment and supplies to Bella Coola, arriving Saturday, to augment local equipment already on the ground. Included on the barge will be 23 pieces of equipment and food and supplies for the community. BC Ferries is providing additional ferry service to transport stranded people and vehicles out of Bella Coola and bring emergency supplies, including food and other priority supplies, to the flood-stricken area. The ministry and its maintenance contractor are working closely with the Provincial Emergency Program and the local Emergency Operations Centres to ensure a co-ordinated response. Highway 20 leading to Bella Coola was closed due to washouts, rock falls and flooding caused by heavy rainfall on Sept. 25. Motorists are advised to check DriveBC (www.drivebc.ca (http://www.drivebc.ca/)) for updates. -30- Media Contact: Jeff KnightPublic Affairs BureauMinistry of Transportation and Infrastructure250 356-7707

Cheers

SS

132mile
09-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input, what you have all said is what I have thought. I will have to apply for another LEH Griz draw and hope to get another chance.

Ike
09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
hi folks,
Things are still a mess here, but I am seeing bear scat on the highway again as I drive to work so they are not all gone.
Haven't had a chance to poke around to see what the wildlife situation is but 132mile depending on where your draw is (valley or talchacko) your access may be really limited. Talchako has several bridges out and washouts.
Cheers

Access into here is limited to air or ferry for now.

wolverine
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Bella Coola Griz hunt... I've never heard of trolling for them before . Try a great big Doc Spratley and see if you can cast to them! :mrgreen:

LYKTOHUNT
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Bella Coola Griz hunt... I've never heard of trolling for them before . Try a great big Doc Spratley and see if you can cast to them! :mrgreen:
They will take a bucktail with the rest of the buck attached:-D just need a skookum bait caster

d6dan
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input, what you have all said is what I have thought. I will have to apply for another LEH Griz draw and hope to get another chance.

It all depends on how bad you want this hunt and what your budget can allow. What area is your draw for?. if its for zone B of 5-08 all you need is to fly in to a place like Taleomy or Washwash..I've seen grizzly on the tide flats at Taleomy..Worked on the ol' dryland there. Actually theres an airstrip at the old logging camp..It might still be usable..Anyway,just possibilities to consider.

Ike
09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
It all depends on how bad you want this hunt and what your budget can allow. What area is your draw for?. if its for zone B of 5-08 all you need is to fly in to a place like Taleomy or Washwash..I've seen grizzly on the tide flats at Taleomy..Worked on the ol' dryland there. Actually theres an airstrip at the old logging camp..It might still be usable..Anyway,just possibilities to consider.

Washwash is in Owikeno Lake (5-7) so no hunting bears there.

d6dan
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Washwash is in Owikeno Lake (5-7) so no hunting bears there.

I didn't know that. Sorry..