PDA

View Full Version : Yummy

oopswasthatyourdog?
09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
A few pics from last week........Mmmmmm yummy!

http://i54.tinypic.com/nnpqhx.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/35mlaph.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/vysec9.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/p820n.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/est949.jpg

ChilliwackWinchester
09-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Should've got a pic of you winching it in :-)

.330 Dakota
09-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Okay wheres the story, did they charge?

killman
09-30-2010, 07:12 AM
LOL, great job Ooops.

nano
09-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Nice shooting and nice eating.

oopswasthatyourdog?
09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Okay wheres the story, did they charge?

Well, since you asked....I wasn't going to brag but the Male Spruce Grouse was stalking me!
It was a sunny day but for some reason as I was walking the logging roads I kept getting chills. I had been out for about an hour and had just shot a nice female Spruce Grouse. I was feeling good about the shot, at 25 yards I was pushing the limits of the 2 1/2" .410 shells but still made a clean kill.
Suddenly I felt like I was being watched. I've never suffered from Anatidaephobia, yet I was starting to understand what the folks that do suffer from it can feel........but in a slightly different way that I just couldn't put my finger on.
I found myself clutching the old single shot tighter and was a little relieved that I had left the #7 loads at camp and opted for the heaver #5 Imperials. In the distance I heard a eerie sound, like it was coming from the bowels of the forest TWWWWWEEEET! A cold sweat covered my face as shivers jolted through me. I had to talk to myself to calm my nerves....." This is crazy." I thought to myself, "I've spent years in the bush and never had the willies. I guess it's my imagination playing tricks on me."
I calmed down a little, and kept walking looking for another grouse when suddenly I caught movement on my right......looked around and saw nothing. Then I heard something rustling in the undergrowth to my left. I swung around and .......nothing. A few seconds later that same eerie cry a little closer this time TWWWWWEEEET!
Now it took all my nerve to keep myself from running. It was like a primal instinct was screaming for me to run and hide. Something from our past that dwells within us trying to warn me of a looming danger. Then it all became clear to me......I felt as one with nature. My senses heightened. I no longer felt the cold but the heat from the sun wrapped itself around me like a shroud. I noticed that the forest had become quiet yet my ears could pick up the telltale sound of a single set of wings beating, closer, and closer. My eyes focused like those of the eagle and I could see the male Spruce Grouse coming straight for me, TWWWWWEEEET!, closer now, I could make out the colors of his feathers, the sharp edge of his beak, and in his eyes the look of revenge that was driving him forward to a confrontation that no one but the gods themselves knew what the outcome would be. Without thought my body was reacting, bringing the shotgun up in a wide arc.....TWWWWWEEEEET!....the bead at the muzzle tracking the flight of this demon.........TWWWWEEET!.....I kept telling myself that if I ever wanted to see my wife and children again I would have to wait to see my reflection in it's eyes before pulling the trigger......TWWWWEEEET! Closer now, just about time.....TWEEEEET! Time slowed down to a trickle. I saw the beak open in a final cry, the reflection of my camo in it's eyes and the sound of my .410 as it barked BOOOOOOOM! and in an instant it was over.
At my feet lay the lifeless body of what was once a formidable adversary.

Later that evening as I was eating the remaining bits of his flesh from a fantastic grouse and cabbage stew I realized how close I came to knocking on deaths door. I had respect for my foe as I would have done the same as he did given the circumstances.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink:

Joel
09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Well told. Stranger things have happened...

aliagha
10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
beautiful birds

MichaelB
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Haha, I like it! Great story!

BCKID
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you had a touch of grouse fever!! Good thing you had the quad to haul them out.
Good story.

killman
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Jesus!!! I hate it when that happens.

PointMan
10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been looking for a new columnist for my newspaper...

oopswasthatyourdog?
10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I've been looking for a new columnist for my newspaper...

I'll take that as a compliment, Thank you. :)

PointMan
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Indeed you should, very well written, and as I'm sure you're aware from reading such stories as "Save the Endangered BC Black Bear" and any anti-gun or pro-registry article; verifiable facts are not always required. LOL

oopswasthatyourdog?
10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Indeed you should, very well written, and as I'm sure you're aware from reading such stories as "Save the Endangered BC Black Bear" and any anti-gun or pro-registry article; verifiable facts are not always required. LOL

Well thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Chuck
10-01-2010, 07:36 PM
A great tale! An Epic adventure well told.