PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seeing moose near Vanderhoof?

vanislehunter1
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
My dad has a draw in 7-13 for a bull moose, and we've been here since Sunday and we've only seen two cow moose. I'm not sure if it's the temperature, as it's been pretty warm here for the past few days, but its supposedly going to get cool tonight. We've been out from Dawn until Dusk, walking roads, slashes etc. and we have seen lots of tracks, but it's only in one area. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been seeing them at all.

We've seen sixteen grouse while we've been here, but we've only shot one. We also have been seeing lots of deer, but no four points. I'll just have to wait until October first, then i'll knock 'em down!:mrgreen:

mtnmanmike
09-29-2010, 04:54 PM
My dad hunts there almost every year and last year he said that he has never seen so much wolf sign in his life. He even seen a wolf without the chance of a shot. He hunted for eight days with five other guys and between them they only saw seven moose. One being a bull that they shot. It has typically held a good number of moose over the past years but he's noticed, along with many others, a steady decline in moose numbers.

Amphibious
09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I guide near Vanderhoof. trust me, the moose are there, you just have to work for them.

when it's hot out look for small dark depressions and swamps. they're going to want to stay cool. get into the timber and keep your ears open.

Sitkaspruce
09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Start calling and calling and calling....

They are there, have been and aways will be.

the rut will be peaking here in a week or so, so keep looking.

Are you in the south part or are you up where I suggested???

Cheers

SS

vanislehunter1
09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Start calling and calling and calling....

They are there, have been and aways will be.

the rut will be peaking here in a week or so, so keep looking.

Are you in the south part or are you up where I suggested???

Cheers

SSWe've been near the southern part mostly, because it's less of a trip for us and there were sooooo many hunters on just about every road that would've been good to walk where you suggested, and we never saw much sign there either - mostly just deer. It was also really muddy once you get about 3/4 of the way in, so we couldn't access any more roads/slashes after that point as we almost got stuck.

todbartell
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
there's one less moose in 7-13 now

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs668.snc4/60860_444790853306_647538306_5068341_7287200_n.jpg

probably not the last one though! :wink:

vanislehunter1
09-29-2010, 08:11 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs668.snc4/60860_444790853306_647538306_5068341_7287200_n.jpg

probably not the last one though! :wink:Thanks... I appreciate that :lol:

vanislehunter1
09-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Well i'm headed out the door... ill let you guys know what happens today.

StoneChaser
09-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I was about to throw you a bone, and then realized that you were sitting at your computron posting at 4:46 PM and 7:03 PM on one of the gamiest days we've had in the area all season....it wasn't even dark!

Moose are rutting, they ARE out there, and you're not....

Definately won't kill one indoors....find a secluded cutblock, sit and cow call (stay put for AT LEAST 1 hour...they're often slow to come in, and many times won't grunt much (if at all)).

MB_Boy
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I was about to throw you a bone, and then realized that you were sitting at your computron posting at 4:46 PM and 7:03 PM on one of the gamiest days we've had in the area all season....it wasn't even dark!

Definately won't kill one indoors....find a secluded cutblock, sit and cow call (stay put for AT LEAST 1 hour...they're often slow to come in, and many times won't grunt much (if at all)).

Ha ha....Stonechaser....I was going to say the same thing when the first post came up yesterday at 4:45 pm. :mrgreen:

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM

did you guys kill that moose?

or did the "wolves" take it down for you? :?

todbartell
09-30-2010, 08:25 AM
a friend killed it last week with a 30-06 rifle, butt smashed it right in the temple

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:31 AM
a friend killed it last week with a 30-06 rifle, butt smashed it right in the temple

COOL !:wink:,,,,,,,,,,,

maybe he should have used a "magnum"?, butt smashin moose in the temple is good, done it few times myself :-D,

I'm just really happy to hear the "wolves" didn't do it:neutral:

LYKTOHUNT
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I sure am glad that you used the words "in the temple" while you are busy butt smashin things :wink:

vanislehunter1
09-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Definately won't kill one indoors....find a secluded cutblock, sit and cow call (stay put for AT LEAST 1 hour...they're often slow to come in, and many times won't grunt much (if at all)).Well... the reason we weren't out was because we had to get more supplies and the liking, and we didn't get in until 10:30 that evening before, so we were a little tired. I have been calling, but i'm still not very good. I will try more of that tomorrow. We just got in from the morning hunt and it still is really hot. It was cold enough that I was cold with my outer shell jacket this morning, and we saw a cow and a calf in a block, but they didn't stick around for long. We're going back out there tomorrow morning and will stay from dawn until dusk again... We'll see what we can find.

Gus
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
A real nice bull got knocked down just this morning also, so they are around. Just curious, vaislehunter1, what is the extent of your guy's experience as far as moose hunting goes?

vanislehunter1
09-30-2010, 06:34 PM
A real nice bull got knocked down just this morning also, so they are around. Just curious, vaislehunter1, what is the extent of your guy's experience as far as moose hunting goes?This is our second year moose hunting. My dad has been on a few moose hunts but not many.

Gus
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
This is our second year moose hunting. My dad has been on a few moose hunts but not many.

Fair enough. So here is my advice, and pardon me if it seems obvious but I will throw it out there. I have to agree with these guys when they point out the times your at the computer. This week is going to be prime for moose and calling so make sure your out there at first light and last light. If staying out until 10:30 at night is going to make you too tired to put in the effort the next day, well so be it but it depends on how bad you want a moose I guess. If that is the case, instead of hunting from dawn to dusk, hunt hard at dawn until late morning, then have a nap or have a break during the mid day heat, then giver hard again starting late afternoon. If it was me, I would make sure I was on foot by the time it was light, and I wasn't in the truck until after it was dark.

Anyway, make sure you keep calling and good luck. The bulls are there you just got to put in the effort and you WILL get one!

You can PM me if you have any other questions and I will do my best to help out.

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Fair enough. So here is my advice, and pardon me if it seems obvious but I will throw it out there. I have to agree with these guys when they point out the times your at the computer. This week is going to be prime for moose and calling so make sure your out there at first light and last light. If staying out until 10:30 at night is going to make you too tired to put in the effort the next day, well so be it but it depends on how bad you want a moose I guess. If that is the case, instead of hunting from dawn to dusk, hunt hard at dawn until late morning, then have a nap or have a break during the mid day heat, then giver hard again starting late afternoon. If it was me, I would make sure I was on foot by the time it was light, and I wasn't in the truck until after it was dark.

Anyway, make sure you keep calling and good luck. The bulls are there you just got to put in the effort and you WILL get one!

You can PM me if you have any other questions and I will do my best to help out.
some good points,,,but during the rut, moose bulls will travel over open areas, long distances at all times of the day and night, many bulls after gettin-a-woopin from a bigger bull head off for new rewards, cross country, trekking , many young bulls wander aimlessly looking for a new momma or some action, during the rut see as much open areas as possible, clear cuts, regrowth after logging and swamps and meadows!:wink:

BCrams
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I had a good chuckle when SC pointed out the times on the computer. He pretty much nailed it. You want to be out there hunting.

If you have a quad / boat ... ferry across the river at the Stuart crossing and run up towards Margarett Lake. Really good moose hunting back in there along the smaller lakes as well. Access is an issue unless you have a boat / gear to get across.

Otherwise, put some time down the Blue Mountain Road north of Vanderhoof .... a quick glance at google and I'd be parking myself within the cutblock and meadow by Breadalbane Lake and calling around Shanly should produce.......then again, patience and knowing where, how and when to call and what hunting method best suits the area all come into play.

moosinaround
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/713bull.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20553&size=big&cat=500)

Here is a 7-13 Bull that was still alive 5 days ago!

Moosin

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/713bull.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20553&size=big&cat=500)

Here is a 7-13 Bull that was still alive 5 days ago!

Moosin

OH! MY! :shock: look how SMART they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-|

moosinaround
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
OH! MY! :shock: look how SMART they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-|
Smarter than your peace moose:grin: They seem to swim right to a fellow hey?????

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Smarter than your peace moose:grin: They seem to swim right to a fellow hey?????

wasn't really a fair chase,,,,,,,,,,,

I was holding a bath towel :wink:

moosinaround
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
wasn't really a fair chase,,,,,,,,,,,

I was holding a bath towel :wink:

Funny Shit Elkdom!!!!!:)

elkdom
09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Funny Shit Elkdom!!!!!:)

amoozing for sure!:wink:

todbartell
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
a video of a 7-13 bull a few weeks ago, he was right with another bull about the same size. Closest vehicle access 2km though! Also video of a spike elk I called in to 20 yards

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/Jxk3Jn1BQdg/default.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxk3Jn1BQdg)

tydel
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Watch out for the natives. They will be out there shooting anything and everything at all hours. Just follow them around, they usually don't retrieve all their kills, especially if it's more than a couple hundred yards off the road.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Your trailcam take that pic??:-D Looks like a similar bull?

SSS

vanislehunter1
10-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Well I don't know where you guys are seeing all these moose... I spent three hours this evening and 2 hours this morning calling and sitting in a cutblock... and I didn't see a thing all day either.

todbartell
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
seen a beauty 58" bull this AM go through town. What a hawg!!!! incredible mass and long tines

vanislehunter1
10-07-2010, 11:00 PM
seen a beauty 58" bull this AM go through town. What a hawg!!!! incredible mass and long tinesThat would be just our luck... we left yesterday morning and just got home :lol: