PDA

View Full Version : 7A South of Vanderhoof Fire Kill

stinkfish
09-28-2010, 06:15 PM
We are heading up to hunt cow moose soon in 7A between Vanderhoof and Keeney dam. I here there was a major fire that ran through that area this summer and around 170 moose were shot (destroyed due to the encroaching fires)
Any info on the fire areas, moose kill, moose population etc would be of great help as I have never hunted this area before and just got lucky in a group draw.

What about mulley populations? doing well or not?

Thanks as allways friends.

Rod

stinger
09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
When are you going? I`m heading up there tomorrow for ten days if you have not left by the time I get back I`ll post some info for you.

308Lover
09-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Where in the name of God did you hear about moose being shot? It was sure a secret here, if it's true. Let's have some facts here! (There are no moose there, by the way)

stinkfish
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
O.K. The fact is, I am heading out for the opening of the 10th. I would greatly appreciate any reports you can give me when you return. Thanks

The fact is I heard of the moose shooting from a meat cutter in the area while enquiring about hanging.

The reason I am "asking" the questions are because I don't get it myself why the moose would be shot and I am looking for any details from people who might be in the area, are part of forestry management, game management, farmers, ranchers, you name it, people who actually know!
I seek to learn what the fire has done and how the game has managed.

By the way, weez gots lotsa mooses out der

todbartell
09-28-2010, 07:59 PM
should be a few moose around. I seen a nice 40" bull taken in 7-12A last week

born2hunt
09-28-2010, 08:05 PM
any where down the kluskus can provide some decent donkey's at times

moosinaround
09-28-2010, 08:19 PM
We are heading up to hunt cow moose soon in 7A between Vanderhoof and Keeney dam. I here there was a major fire that ran through that area this summer and around 170 moose were shot (destroyed due to the encroaching fires)
Any info on the fire areas, moose kill, moose population etc would be of great help as I have never hunted this area before and just got lucky in a group draw.

What about mulley populations? doing well or not?

Thanks as allways friends.

Rod
Based on this information I would head north to the peace for the GOS for moose and elk. Sounds like those crazy Vanderhoof buggers went a little "Gun Happy" on the ole rubber nozes!! I have heard that about those Vanderhoof folks, I think personally it is because they are the geographical center of the province, and there is a strange magnetic pull 'round those parts! Head north for a bountyful moose and elk hunt, and fill yer boots with whities and mulies too! Good hunting, Moosin

:wink:

stinkfish
09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I hear ya, I got a 6X5 bull up that way last year. The thing is we have a shared hunt for cows so if there then its meat in the freezer and I can look for deer if they are there in numbers.
We be commited..

VINDOG
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Stinkfish, I have a good friend who lives up that way and has done a "recky" of my honey hole in 7-12a and has mentioned that there is fresh cow and calf tracks right through where the fire burned through. who in there right mind would say such a thing about killing 170 moose. These animals have more rights than we do! LOL...... I will be up there 10 Oct myself, good luck on your trip !

rocksteady
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
From the fire point of view, I was there earlier this year on the Greer Creek Fire 6200 has in size, from about 21 to 40 km on the Kluskus was burned... Never saw a CO out killing wounded moose... Was there 10 days

The other big fire I was personally involved in was the Binta Lake fire, wnet from Bintal Lake eastward all the way to the Holy Cross/ Binta 200, all the way to Hallet Lake... 45 000 has... Was there for 14 days and saw 2 dead moose (cow and calf) who did not escape the flame front... Never saw a CO out there either...

I do know there were a couple of other fires down near the bottom of the Kluskus, but not super big.... Call the Zone office out of Vanderhoof for Wildfire Management Branch and they can provide you some basic details/advice....(I can pm you the phone number, if you wish), or just ask Bartell, OSFS is like the Tourist Information Booth....:-D

I honestly believe that the 150 moose shot cause the fire was coming was a big old load of BS !!!

mxracer328
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
i was cruisin around 7-12 one afternoon and seen 3 cows and a bull, they are in there

308Lover
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Don't you dare use a LEH tag on a spike fork! My son will hunt you down! Saw a pic on this site just the other day. Made me wanta cry! LOL

todbartell
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't you dare use a LEH tag on a spike fork! My son will hunt you down! Saw a pic on this site just the other day. Made me wanta cry! LOL

I had a bull LEH for 7-12 in 2006, seen a nice tasty fork bull on opening morning, but filled my GOS spike/fork tag on it:wink:

stinkfish
09-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Well thanks for all the help. Great data to work with.

I gotta tell ya, if I see a spiker fork he is dead as soon as he is identified and within range. Just have to! gotta, gotta, gotta, yum, yum, yum, I can taste him now. I gotta go now . I am way too excited!!!