PDA

View Full Version : success in hunting pure luck or hard work?

miki
09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Since me and a couple of my friends are all new hunters with not much success in baging a first animal after 2 years of hunting,I wanted to ask you experinced guys IS A SUCCESSFUL HUNT A PURE LUCK(where an animal you are hunting jumps out in front of you on one of the logging roads or in a cut block around the corner) OR HARD WORK(where you have to go outside, in the thick bush ,look for signs and tracks and go after it on foot)
In my opinion it's a lot of hard work and that is the reason i got into hunting(looking for a challenge)
If you could tell me your opinion with your experience in the matter.
Thanx
MIKI

Barracuda
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
hunting is all about available resources.

It will cost you at least two of these.

for the average guy money is the biggest factor followed by time constraints (related to job normally)

Money .

Time

location.

Kody94
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I like to think that luck is when preparation meets opportunity, but sometimes hunting luck is just plain ol' capital L - U - C - K.

Most of the time, the old saying "the harder I work the luckier I get" is true, however.

dougal
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree with barracuda but it also includes experience. the more money you have the more time you can spend in the woods the better you are "with experience"at seeing sign and knowing the habits of the animals you are hunting hence better success rates

bsa30-06
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
In my opinion its a little of both.Just because you put the time in and now deer/any game are using an area doesnt mean they will be standing there when you come looking but you definatly will have improved your odds for sucess.

Steeleco
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
The hard work starts after you squeeze the trigger!! The job of learning an area is a matter of time. If your an accomplished shot then that isn't even an issue.

I think the biggest issue with new hunters is their ability to see animals. It takes some practice to be able to see only a piece of an animal. To many people I've met along the way are looking for the whole animal. Finding an animal in a clearing just standing there waiting to be shot is pure luck. Finding one just inside the tree line is work, but work you'll learn to enjoy.

Bow Walker
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
In a word? YES. 'nuff said.:wink:

sawmill
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
We got 2 elk last week because I had a pretty good idea of their daily patterns from being out a lot.That being said,I got lucky and they were where I`d hoped they would be.All the rest is up to you,well tuned rifle,steady hands and eye and sharp knives.

Jelvis
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Number one .... you didn't say what animal your hunting ..
Number two .... you didn't say where you were hunting ....
Number three .. you didn't say when you were hunting .....
Number four .... you didn't say how you were hunting ......
Jel ................. so how can we tell you anything? lol .......

ramron
09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
60 percent hardwork 40 percent luck.

DGuest
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I think it's about probability, the more time you spend out there the better chance you have of seeing something. The more experienced you are the more likely you are to be spending that time in a productive way... increase probability, increase success.

keoke
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I just started hunting last november and I have a few dozen ducks, grouse, a spring bear, and last weekend I got my first spiker. I like to say that I am a internet trained hunter, I have no mentor in the field. Mostly from this website I have learned to look for sign and when you find sign put in your time in that area. Last weekend I went up thursday night set up camp, friday I did my scouting, sat morning I took my shot. I like to think that it was my work ethic and not just pure luck.

JDR
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Let's assume you're referring to deer hunting. If you want a meat buck then you may very well be successful just driving the roads and glassing clearcuts. Lots of glassing is key. You may also get lucky and spot a hog by using this same method, especially during the early season or the rut. If you want a mature buck then you'll have to do more work.

Most large bucks I've harvested have been away from the beaten path, usually on semi open timbered ridges. You sometimes have to hike far and sometimes not, but the key is to be PATIENT, walk SLOW (if you prefer to stalk) and STOP often to listen for game. As well you should always be glassing and looking for fresh sign (trails, tracks, crap and rubs). If you see a lot of fresh large rubs in the area, you're in a good spot.

moosinaround
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
It is a combination of all things! I do still like to wear something new when I hunt, cause I will always ruin it with blood and guts!! Luck yes, superstition, yes, skill, yes! Moosin

pappy
09-28-2010, 07:17 PM
You got to have luck to be good and you have to be good to have luck. You don't need lots of money to be hunting where you live, just the time in the outdoors to learn about what your hunting for. A friend of mine just shot his first and second deer ever after 12 years of on and off hunting. He got a 2x1 and then a 5x4 blacktail, was it luck or did all those years of learning slowly and being stubborn pay off? I think it was both. Never give up the chase. I have shot island deer every year but not as big as what he has shot.

Brambles
09-28-2010, 07:17 PM
What is often confused with Luck is the culmination of years of experiances coming to an end in a favorable outcome.

pnbrock
09-28-2010, 07:48 PM
knowing where tghe animals should be learned ,animal walking in front of you luck.

swampthing
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
You need to hunt smart first, hard second and luck comes at the end. I have hiked all day on a big mountain and come back with a full pack. Other times I have hunted hard all day, got back to my quad or truck and shot somthing out of it. Each time you get an animal you seem to learn more and success comes more frequently. Lastly, you need to spend lots of time out.

kennyj
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
The harder you work the luckier you'll get. Thats the truth.
kenny

dana
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
One old saying goes "I'd rather be lucky than good any day." Another saying goes "You have to earn your Luck".

bigshooter
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Location is huge.
It can be easy if the area is crawling with game or it can be hard if you are trying to find 1 animal in 10 km square.

Jelvis
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
You gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good ..
Jel .. Lady Luck .. a Mallard Duck ... a Big Buck ... a Pick Me Up Truck ..

cavebear
09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Im a strong believer that we all create our own path. I hunt with one guy that could shoot his gun in the air and a 4x4 will land in the truck. :-D Seriously even my kid has noticed, hes 8 and says why dont we see as much when uncle ---- isnt with us he always gets deer. He sounds like a horse going through the bush but hes always in the right place at the right time.

I on the other hand openly admit i feed of his luck sometimes :-D but most of the time its putting in the time studing the terrain, and the prey. Then sometimes it just all works out. :-D

09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
BLOOD SWEAT and yes .... TEARS, lots of homework, hard work and pure luck too.

CT

bridger
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
having sucess hunting is easier if you live in an area that has lots of wildlife as some of the previous posters have noted. getting a whitetail or mule deer here in the peace is mostly just a matter of being here. elk and moose are a little more difficult, but usually attainable. having said that it is easier to be sucessful if you develop good hunting skills. sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you work your tail off depending what you are hunting.

tomahawk
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Its a combination of both hard work and luck for most harvests except for the rare time someone just gets real lucky and an animal just walks out in front of you!!

rocksteady
09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Learn the country where you hunt (feed/water/populations)... Ie. preseason scouting...

Learn as much as you can about your quarry (ruts/habits)

Learn different techniques for hunting (spot and stalk, tree stands, walking very slow, lots of glassing)

Learn how to put the stalk on (downwind, yada yada)

Put in your time and effort...

Throw in a bit of luck... SUCCESS.....

Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of what appearred to be sh%thouse luck, however, being that I had done all of the first few steps (area/game/techniques) maybe it really was not luck.

It is rare that you hunt a new area, new species with no clue what you are doing and you score... Now that is luck...

dawn2dusk
09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I believe in the 80/20 rule with fishing and hunting. Where 20% of the hunter population gets 80% of the opportunities, and then the remaining 80% of the hunting population sees only 20% of the opportunities.

Hard work = patience (time), focus, self discipline (physical/mental condition ie. not drunk from the night before still), resources (cash), committment to honing your hunting skills and powers of observation and learning (continuous improvement)

Bottom line hard work overrides luck any day. Luck may get you the occasional opportunity. Guys that work it can usually find them.

But come on is it really hard work? not if your passionate about it.

09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
is hunting rolling dice? or playing cards?
no
hunting is about where you go, what your after, what time of day, all that stuff.
if you found and shot a goat while goat hunting in the bottom of a valley at 500 feet above sea level that would be luck. Driving a road and shooting a moose in a cut block even takes a bit of skill. Because if you were hunting moose on an 7000' mountain top you got no chance.

Martin_Hunter
09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Since me and a couple of my friends are all new hunters with not much success in baging a first animal after 2 years of hunting,I wanted to ask you experinced guys IS A SUCCESSFUL HUNT A PURE LUCK(where an animal you are hunting jumps out in front of you on one of the logging roads or in a cut block around the corner) OR HARD WORK(where you have to go outside, in the thick bush ,look for signs and tracks and go after it on foot)
In my opinion it's a lot of hard work and that is the reason i got into hunting(looking for a challenge)
If you could tell me your opinion with your experience in the matter.
Thanx
MIKI

It's just the location.When you're at the right place,you'll see legal game to shoot.I've been a hunter all my life,but I chose the wrong places in region 8 for a while and I could rarely see anything legal to shoot.I remember once I was driving all day long for 8 days and I couldn't find legal game.Then I switched to region 5.I found legal game to shoot each and everyday there,when I was hiking or driving.Then I just had to choose which animal was the best one to shoot.
Good luck

elkdom
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
at 6:30am this morning I was amongst a herd of 9 elk, several cows, a couple of rag horn young bulls and a heavy 5x5 bull, deciding to wait another day and maybe get "mr Big"to show his ugly head, I passed up on the heavy 5x5 bull,,,,getting back to the jeep a walk of 1 klm I was near a several moose, they are grunting and moving a lot right now,,,, this is all a culmination of scouting and experience,,,,:wink:

the "LUCK" part is,,,, there were NO other hunters in this area this morning, end of story! :mrgreen:

300wsm
09-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I think it's about probability, the more time you spend out there the better chance you have of seeing something. The more experienced you are the more likely you are to be spending that time in a productive way... increase probability, increase success.

well said IMO

300wsm

Angel
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Its definitely a little bit of both. You need to put your time in and learn new area's, which is hard work. But you also have to be lucky to find lots of legal game.

Time
money
persistance!

BimmerBob
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
It is 100% completely luck... UNLESS you get something and then it is 100% skill...:mrgreen:

Caveman
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
A combination of both hard work and dedication to your sport mixed with some luck. Some guys just have sh*t happen others make it happen. The first guy in the right spot at the right time. The second guy knows his prey, its habits, where, when to look and makes his own opportunities to be successful. Therefore yes with horseshoes up your ass pure luck for some guys and they get their game. For others hard work and dedication. Which one are You? I know I have and most guys been on both sides of that coin.

BlacktailStalker
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Pure luck in a new area unless you applied learned technique/knowledge to make it successful.
The best thing you can do is learn areas well and your success will improve year after year.

Jelvis
09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Hunting deer is like bar hopping looking for a date. Is it luck or is it skill? lol .. Squaring It Up .....
... One guy can get a date every time and another goes home lonely .. A Man This Lonely ..........
... Whiskey do my talkin .. Brooks and your Dunn, like dinner ...... Think It Through .................
... Hillbilly Deluxe .. Slick Pick Em Up Trucks .. One More Roll of the Dice .. Play Something Country
... Country girl cuddled up .. Hillbilly Deluxe .. Just Another Neon Night .... It's Kinda Funky ........
Hey baby what's your name .. Big timing in a small town .. Double Whammy In Kammy .. Put on the smell good .. Burn a little rubber when the red light change .. Black denim and chrome .. Hillbilly Dee Lucks ..
( She Likes To Get Out of Town ) Again ... Red Dirt Road .. Neon Moon .. Right About Sundown .. Believe
Jelly .. (George Straight Junkie) One more roll of the dice .. You Just Got To Try .. Never Enough .. 1 more shot!

yzchamp
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
its is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to love the hunting game !!

paw325
09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Luck is when preparation and opportunity meet........

M.Dean
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't think Luck or Hard Work describe hunting at all. If I though hunting was hard work I'd take up Golf! If I though success was pure Luck, I'd start gambling! I love hunting too much to try and define it much more than what it is to me,pure enjoyment! And something I'll probably die doing!

Jelvis
09-29-2010, 05:34 PM
M Dean the Professor of Philosophy scoring high ratings for a red hot post ..
I like it ... If it's all work forget it or all luck wtf? .. I dig it ..
Jel ( The Dean of Mean ) Mr. Dean .. Write This Down .. Remember what I forgot to say .. Every word is true
... Write This down .. Take a little look .. George Straight .. You can find the chistle I'll find the stone ..
... Don't let em fade away .. Baby Write This Down ... George straight Folks .. Check Yes or no ..

sawmill
09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Calm down Jell,take your pills.

VINDOG
09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
For me it is lots of scouting, a lot of luck, lots of hard work, time, money and the most important thing you can learn in becoming a good hunter is "Patience" "Patience" and did I say "Patience". Learn that fine art and you will see animals and you will get your table fare or trophy whatever you are after.Happy hunting!!!:-D