PDA

View Full Version : Finding Elk in 8-5!

Polonez
09-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey guys

Well after comming down from a weeklong hunt in chetwynd. Ive come home empty handed. I went on opening Aug 15th. I saw lots of game. Lots of cow moose. seen a few bulls but to far to take a shot. I was able to take a shot at one at 200yard but as it apears it hit the ground below him and he was gone into the bush. I went to the range and found out I was 8 clicks low on the scope ??? WTF??? I had it dialed in a week before... very strange... anyways while I was there I ran into 2 beautiful 6 and 7 point elks!!!! To bad there was no opening for elk then :(

Well the wife wont let me go for a longer period so im stuck staying close to home and I was reading some stuff on here about elk in the 8-5 area? I have my mule tag so at least ill get one of those (hopefully) but I was wondering if anyone can guide me into the elk areas around tulameem/Lawless?

Thanks
My freezer has been empty way to long!!!!

Steeleco
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
With all due respect, I don't think your going to get tips like this here!! There are Elk in area, but those hat have put in the time to learn their secrets aren't about to share so easily. I can recommend getting out there and seeing what you can. I know where I've seen them before, but this past weekend, couldn't find a thing. I've hunted that area for some time and I'm still learning.

Any buck starts on Friday, you should have no trouble cutting that tag.

Leaseman
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
I hunt the higher country up there... in the last 25 years have seen a bit of sign, never seen a elk.... I know that they are seen down lower and up the valley from tulameen, past otter lake......

3kills
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
they are there like steeleco said u wont get guys given u the info. iam just startin to hunt elk and i know of a few spots that are good for elk in 8-5 but even those spots that are normally good that i have knowen there was legal bulls there ealier arent producin now.

LOC
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
They are around, but like 3kills and Steelco have said the areas I've seen them before (even as recently as this earlier this month) I haven't seen them around the last two weekends.

Kudu
09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
The bugling I have heard along with the sign I have seen, is all behind locked gates - good luck mate - post pics when you nail one.

Elkhound
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Damn it man I want to know where they are too. LOL........I have just started hunting that area due to the fact my family bought some property up that way. I am looking for an elk in the worst way. But so far...I have not even seen one.

BlacktailStalker
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Find the freshest 'sign' in the area and hunt that relentlessly.
THAT is how you kill elk, ANYWHERE.