PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with an ATV

Gun Dog
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Helmet or not?
Full helmet or open faced?

Iron Glove
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
I always wear a helmet. Safety first. I can't hunt if I bang my head on a limb, fall off or get whacked by a rock kicked up by the ATV in front of me.
I wear a helmet with a flip up half shield, works for me.
Probably takes 5 seconds to take the helmet off.

09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
check 2 for helmet. There are options out there to allow you to shoot fast enough. bring a plastic bag to put it in when you get off the bike to hunt, cuz it sucks to put on a wet helmet after a hunt!

hlram
09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I bought a half face helment and used it last year. Worked out great, can still mount the gun and shoot.
Road without a helment once and thought what the hell, all I need is one wipeout and thats it.

mark
09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Ive never worn a helmet on a quad in my life for hunting, never will!
Sport riding is one thing, but when hunting, Im traveling slow, and cautious, 0% chance of injury IMO.
Or maybe I just live on the edge???

Spuddge
09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Riding slow hunting = No Helmet

Sport riding = Helmet

Barracuda
09-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Riding slow hunting = No Helmet

Sport riding = Helmet

i kinda agree with this as long as you are an adult except that it is way to easy to suddely go fast or to be going slow on a difficult trail and still roll and bang your noggin.

in a perfect world putting on a logging road at slow speeds should not be any more dangerous then running on foot at those same speeds.

I ride a bike not a quad and the time it takes to set the stand, get off the bike and pull off a helmet is really not a factor.

Try to wear a helmet and if you do choose to not wear one accept the dangers.

Dont try to hide behind saying that it takes to long to take off etc .

If its a legal requirment then your SOL and you have to wear it but there are enough small lightweight helmets out there that really do work well.

You could also try shooting (practice)with the helmet on ? soldiers do it and so can you.

do you have to legally wear a helmet in a SXS?

Spuddge
09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
do you have to legally wear a helmet in a SXS?[/quote]

No, if it has 4 wheels there is no legal requirement for a helmet.

huntcoop
09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I never wear a helmet when hunting, like Mark said, when riding for fun and not hunting, always wear a bucket.

steel_ram
09-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought you guys only used a quad to get to where you hunt? That's what I've read?

Gun Dog
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm hunting as soon as I leave camp.

I forgot about the ATV act -- it specifies an ATV as having 2 or 3 wheels so modern Quads aren't covered.

I'll have to try shooting with my ski helmet. See if I like it.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree with Mark. I go slow.....not sure if it's because I'm old, carrying fragile optics and rifle or looking for game.

I do usually wear one when I'm with my daughter. If she has to wear one so should I.

SSS

Kiwi
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I take my helmet with me. First to set a good example for my kids and second because you never know if you might need to ride fast due to an accident or whatever. But if I'm riding the roads really slow "hunting" then, no I don't wear my helmet. I believe this is a judgement call and that "not so common/common sense" has to kick in.

Drillbit
09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Never have, never will.

I pay attention to whats going on when I'm hunting.
Some of the boys wear them hunting, so good for them

Not looking forward to when we'll have to wear them in our trucks/cars either. I bet it's not too far off.

Slinky Pickle
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I use a side by side with roll over protection for hunting and photography. I'm usually traveling slowly and watching the bushes. I don't wear a helmet for that.

If I plan on taking it up (or down) any kind of hill that my pickup wouldn't handle or if I'm running quickly on a road to get from point A to B then on goes the helmet, no question.

The simple rule is be smart and put it on BEFORE you need it.

Frango
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Ive never worn a helmet on a quad in my life for hunting, never will!
Sport riding is one thing, but when hunting, Im traveling slow, and cautious, 0% chance of injury IMO.
Or maybe I just live on the edge???
I must agree with Mark (who I have met)I have heard a bull elk bugle from the quad.If I was wearing a helmet I dont think I would have.

burger
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I take my helmet with me. First to set a good example for my kids and second because you never know if you might need to ride fast due to an accident or whatever. But if I'm riding the roads really slow "hunting" then, no I don't wear my helmet. I believe this is a judgement call and that "not so common/common sense" has to kick in.

x2 for myself

laredo318
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Slow is OK..any faster then a walk, it goes on.

Cyrus
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
No helmet for reasons as previously stated..i'm not agressively riding, almost as go as slow as I walk...I will often stand when I ride to get an elevated view of the bush. Think soon it will be law? That being said I have seen people killed on ATV's even riding slow but I will take my chances.....

jhausner
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Always wear a helmet. Interesting thing and I've done some research on this is that motorcycle helmets tend to be certified for high speeds aka being able to protect for impacts > 60kph. So that tends to lend itself to people above stating they wear them for sports but not hunting.

On the contrary though, ski/snowboard helmets are not rated for quite the same level of speed but with Snell certification on many brands, can protect you much better at low speed falls or accidents compared to a motorcycle helmet.

So because of that:

1. I always wear a helmet when on an ATV hunting
2. If I'm ripping around at > 60kph which isn't often on an ATV but can be often on a Snow Mobile, I'll wear a motorcycle helmet
3. If i'm simply hunting back roads where I'll rarely get above 30 or 40kph on the FSRs for short spurts, I'll wear my ski helmet
4. Ski helmets offer far less restriction than even open faced motorcycle helmets, are far lighter, and much easier to take off/put on

And why do I wear a helmet in all cases? Hunting at low speed is 1 thing, but many accidents happen at low speed and/or are not due to you being the cause. I have been on back roads many times when farmers or other hunters come ripping around the corner at 50+ kph on the left side of the road (wrong side) almost hitting me or sending me down a cliff side. I have yet to actually get into an accident in this case but it just takes once for me to go flipping down into a canyon and while most dropps are < 10 or 15 feet, smashing your head on a rock even from 5 feet can kill you.

Not to mention just last year me and a few friends were Grouse hunting and going between spots not too quickly. My two friends behind me on a double ATV hit a rut in the road at about 20kph and took a spill into a ditch. One of my friends slipped off the back and smashed his leg on a tree breaking it. The other friend flipped head over the handlebars and smashed her head on the ground. Both wearing helmets.

While the helmet didn't protect against the leg breaking the fact the impact was enough to break a leg means had the gal smashed her head without a helmet on, very likely could have busted her skull and or been killed or severely injured.

That was 20kph on a straight stretch clear and dry weather, all riders with 10+ years of experience. Crap happens no matter how careful we are. I'd rather miss on 1 or 2 animals once in a while than be dead at 30.

Ltbullken
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
I wear a half helmet, no visor, just sun glasses, clear or amber depending on light conditions. The half helmet is good because it doesn't interfere too much with shouldering a rifle in a hurray. Also, when it's nippy out, you can get ear flaps for the helmet or wear a balaclava type cover to keep the ears warm. It do bite when it gets chilly out driving a 30 kph!!

coquitlam
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I have ridden quads, 3 wheelers and raced motorbikes all my life. I have seen and had the misfortune to get into accidents with and with out a helmet. I can tell you from experience that the result without a helmet is not very fun, being woken up in emergency not knowing what`s going on and not being able to figure out what`s going on for awhile because your brain cannot tell you what is happening and not being able to speek to ask what`s going on. That accident was from just sitting on a motorcycle in the bush doing 0 miles an hour and getting plowed into from another bike that I did not even see coming.

The moral of the story is that there are alot of dumb asses out there and you may be the result of there bad judgement. So for the sake of being a good role model for kids and to lower the possibilities of another emergency room visit I always wear a DOT and SNELL approved full face helmet. (SNELL is the higher approval)

steelheadSABO
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I do just when I need to get were im going or if im just riding to hoist up a deer or move something a very short distance i don't wear it

yamadirt 426
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Always ...

Polonez
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
no helmet on my quad when hunting

laredo318
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
http://thatwillbuffout.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/funny-car-photos-this-is-why-helmets-are-always-a-good-idea.jpg
He is only going a couple of mph.....

M.Dean
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I worked with a young fellow who drove his quad to the edge of some sand banks in Alberta some where, he was going to watch the high marking with Dune Buggy's, the bank gave way, he fell over the bank first then came his quad! The handle bars went inside his full face and tore half his head off, he made the trip but passed away some years later. I have a friend who's blind from the same thing, handle bars went into the full face, a friend's friend had the same accident a while back, he needed lots and lots of surgery to get this face back I heard. I wear a hat or a toque when riding, when it's really cold, I wear 2 Toques, but then again I drive pretty slow compared too some!!!

kodimack
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I wear my helmet it keeps my noodle warm when it gets real cold and safer until I get where i'm going.

swampthing
09-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Does no one know its illegal to ride on a public FSR without a DOT approved helmut. The COs are giving out $350 fines. You gots to have your insurance as well. Smoothbor was in a camp in the east koots and saw two of these issued. The COs seem a little nastier over there. I used to race atvs as an expert, so I felt a helmut wasnt required. As I was lying on my back with my tippy arctic cat mashing teeth through my lips, I changed my opinion on this. I have kids as well, so I have to be a good example. There is some pretty cool camo helmuts out there. Have fun.

born2hunt
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
i wouldn't think that the c/o's have the authority to write motor vehicle tickets? unless it's due to a motor vehicle road restriction implemented by the wildlife branch or shooting from a atv .correct me if i'm wrong , but i think there only jurisdiction would fall under the breach of a wildlife act and not under the motor vehilce liscensing ?

Brian011
09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
when i'm not hunting i'll wear my helmet cause i drive pretty crazy sometimes but once i'm hunting i dont wear one cause i go slow and take it easy

moosinaround
09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I donot wear a helmet when hunting. When I am joy riding I do! Moosin

Gun Dog
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
i wouldn't think that the c/o's have the authority to write motor vehicle tickets? unless it's due to a motor vehicle road restriction implemented by the wildlife branch or shooting from a atv .correct me if i'm wrong , but i think there only jurisdiction would fall under the breach of a wildlife act and not under the motor vehilce liscensing ?COs are fully authorized law enforcement officers. It might not be a normal part of the duties or training but they can enforce the MVA if they're inclined.

coquitlam
09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Fisheries and other agencies also help out the CO`s including the police especially on long weekends to ticket you

Mauser7x57
09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
I Have never wore a helmet myself but i don;t fly around fast anyways. I'm always slow going. you can't see animals flying by on a Quad.