PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH region 5

billjc33
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Headed out thursday for a week to region five for my leh and got home sunday night so it was successful. Got out thursday afternoon set up camp cut some firewood as fast as we could and headed out scouting around a bit. Haven't been in this area for 18 years so things have changed alot. (plus 18 years ago I was 9 haha) First night out saw lots of fresh track but nothing standing in any of them.

Friday morning it was decent outside and morning started with a cow, then a cow calf. One bull call at the cow and she got pretty excited and made a puddle on the road for me, so i knew the rut was going to be picking up. Still trying to get a feel for the area and find some spots to concentrate on we had to follow the boundary or our area for a bit. Well what do you know we come down a hill and see 2 small bulls and cow standing on the wrong side of the road after just crossing seconds before. Well we got on to the road we were looking for from the maps were we could hunt both sides and came into a cut with fresh bull and cow tracks, made some calls to stir them up a bit and headed on. Hour had past and we were heading back to camp for some breaky and not 100 yards from the fresh tracks we had seen earlier is a 50 inch bull and a cow are trotting along with a black wolf standing 50 yards behind them. Out i go get ready for a shot to present itself, well it doesnt happen, the cow runs perfectly between us for 300 yards till they dissapear into the bush. Now that a good women hey! Willing to take a bullet for him. Evening was spend in the rain and wind uneventful.

Saturday was alot of wind and rain saw one more bull and a cow calf. 2 1/2 days 11 moose 4 bulls and still have 5 more days till my tag runs out on the 30th

Sunday morning we wake up to clear blue skies frost on the windows and NO WIND!!! Having been calling all day everyday with no responses that i could hear of with the terrible weather anyways, things were looking up. Out to the cut block that we had seen the huge bull in the day before we go. I find some high ground and let out a cow call and almost immedietly i get a response. Wait i get 2 responses there are 2 bulls. about 5 minutes of playing they seem to be held up in the old timber so i mix in some bull calls and they get a little more excited. Now for the first time I can hear a definite difference in the bulls calls one is young and timid and the other is loud and deep. Well the deep one is heading away from me working its way down wind along the tree line not willing to expose him self that easily. The young one uses this as his chance to get to the cow first, its just to bad for him that cow happened to be me. One shot from my 30 06 with 180 federal noslers at about 100 yards and he never took another step. Could have held out and waited for the big one but he would only look good in the pictures this guy is going to taste good alot more.

Did i say I was going to kepp this short??? haha

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/billjc33/004.jpg
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/billjc33/003.jpg
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/billjc33/007.jpg
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/billjc33/009.jpg

Cyrus
09-28-2010, 06:40 AM
congrats...my moose LEH starts Friday in Region 5 and this got me a little more pumped up about it..looks like a fine area...Region 5-1 by chance????

hlram
09-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Good tender meat! And nice pictures! Congrats

d6dan
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Great hunt.Congrats on the moose. He will be a great eating bull. I see in your camp picture there's no shortage of firewood. Did you try any fishing?..

knighthunter
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
That's a great eatin size. How far did you drag him with all that rope in the pic?

whitespringer
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
:biggrin:Way to go! Our hunt starts in 5-4 on Friday. Now you got me really stoked! Good call on the sure thing. Bull in the hand is worth two in the bush!:wink:

shantz
09-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Congrats. mine starts in 3-30 on friday.

billjc33
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
it was tough to find anything in that block to tie a snatch block to so we had to groove out around a stump so the rope wouldn't slip. The road is the ridge behind me in the 3rd pick so only a 75 yard hard it wasnt to bad. Gutted draged, put in the truck and back for breaky in 2 hours. Not region 5-1 quite a ways north from that.

rifleman
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
awesome that sure gets me excited. we are leaving Saturday for my wifes moose draw in 5-2.

Andy83
09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice one. We got one in 5-4 last saturday.

killman
09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Congrats! He will be yummy.

nano
09-28-2010, 09:09 PM
That bull will be good eating, congrats!