PDA

View Full Version : son bags 4x4 muley

cinnabear
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Me and the kid head out sunday morning to our honey hole to look for a decent deer. Upon arriving we decide were going to walk in to our spot from the back way in just to try something different. We see from quite a distance back that a truck is parked right on the spot where we glass from. We usually drive in a ways then walk and spot. Anyway's we go to the opposite side using a different road. Were already seeing deer everywhere before we get out of the truck, a good sign.We park and walk in to what we call the bowl, we see 8 deer walking in and looks to be about 4 dink bucks in the group. We get to where we sit and glass and within minute's I spot a couple bucks on the far side, looks to be a couple 3x3's, they walk out of view to the side where that other truck is parked, we continue glassing. I usually get ansy sitting and want to move position's but today i decide to stay put because this place has told us good things happen if you wait.

Another 15 min go by and my son gives me an elbow and motions for me to look over at this hogback, there stands a nice buck silloeting himself, definetly a 4 pointer. Up goes the glass and indeed a nice 4x4. My son doesn't want to take a shot because it's beyond his comfort zone so we watch the buck feeding for a little bit then the buck lays down. We check the wind and its perfect for a stalk. IT's now 9:30 am, we make a plan to walk into the juvinile stand beside the block so we can get closer to him then use this knob thats between us to get closer. Everythings going perfect, I check on the deer as were going through the juvinile and his still there.

We get to where were going to exit the juvy and the knob is blocking our view from seing each other, we start up the little knob and drop our packs in anticipation. we get almost to the top and I'm peeking at him, his stiil there at 120m, I tell my kid to start looking for a gun rest, he tells me the deer is up, oh oh, something spooked him. I look at the deer but no there's 5 deer, one of them must have sensed us, get a rest and get ready for a shot. My son gets a half ass rest and lines up the buck thats starting to move away on the sidehill, take a shot when u can I say, the bucks not in the best position now he takes a shot!!!!!!! miss....all the deer run away.

We stand their a little bummed out, I ask my kid what he wants to do, you wanna walk over the top and see if we can see him or ya wanna go somewhere else, he wants to go after the buck. We start walking up this mound and we get over the top and more deer are running, just doe's. We get over to a spot where we can see quite a bit of ground and we spot a group of deer below us 250m eating and laying down, but no 4x4, so we walk over to the other edge and look over it, don't see anything. We decide to go look at the group of deer below us from a different angle, these deer know were there but don't seem to care, as were walking my kids says "dad there running now and the big one is with them" damn, should have just waited when we saw that group. We watch them run over to the other side of the bowl and start feeding again, there walking and feeding. It's to far for a shot, we start to walk toward them with nowhere to hide but we need to close some distance if we are going to get a shot. We get to a spot where we can take a shot, tell the kid to line him up and take a shot if you can, it's 175m uphill a little. No shot, the other deer are walking behind him and in front of him, all the deer are now cresting the bowl and we see him silloette again, dam his nice. He walks over the top and we can't see him anymore.

New plan, we need to get over there from the downwind side of this other knob so we can peak over and see if he's there, we know it;s wide open on the other side. we get over there and start slowly creeping on our knees to look over, I see a doe feeding still on the crest of the hill which tells me they haven;t gone right over. I know there all there, I keep glassing and spot a 2 pointer's horns laying down but can't see the other deer. We crawl in a little closer hoping to spot big boy, nothing, we wait still nothing. I wisper to my kid " lets back out and come in from the other side. We start coming in real slow and low and get to a spot where I can look over, I know were real close to that 2 pointer we seen lying down so I know we have to be stupid quiet. I ever so slowly peak over and THERE HE IS laying down 25m away with some doe's around him. I lip talk to my son and tell him his right there. We look over to our left and 15ft away there's this little knob of flat rock that he can crawl over to and set up. I tell him once his over there to slide his gun up to the top and rest it there and then your going to slide your body up and get into a shooting position prone, shoot him lying down if ya have to. I watch him do what I said, crawls over, slides gun up, slides body up to rifle and gets into position. BOOOOOM!!!! ,my kid jumps up totally excited and looks over at me and says I got him. I jump up and look and there his is down but stuggling a bit but his down. I walk 5m toward the buck and decide he needs one in the neck to finish him off, I tell the kid I get to do it... ha ha. We walk back to get the truck and see 2 more 3x3's. When we walk back in to get the deer a 2x2 is standing right beside the dead deer. we drag him out to the truck which is only 150m, thank god, if he shot him the first time it would have been 400m. I'm greatful my son is a lot bigger now at 14 than he was last year. This was his 3rd 4x4 in 3 years and his biggest. Needless to say he just topped his ol' man with this one. He got this deer at 1:30 pm so it was quite the long hunt/stalk I figure for a deer that should of took off. It was a long story, but it needed to be told as it was, hopefully u enjoyed.

cinnabear
09-27-2010, 11:00 PM
more pictures

cinnabear
09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
more pictures

cinnabear
09-27-2010, 11:23 PM
always have troubles sizing the pictures so their good

Buckmeister
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Congrats....sounds like a good time was had by you both!

valleycowboy
09-28-2010, 05:02 AM
congrats on a nice buck.
in regards to the pic. size....if you use photobucket,they resize the pics....copy&paste the IMG code or html code(can't remember which one),insert it into the thread.
would be nice to see a bigger pic.

jrjonesy
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Great Story and congratulations to you and your Son!!!!

Rodd
09-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Great Hunt! Sounds like alot of deer kicking around! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading that.

knighthunter
09-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Great story and the pic's arn't too shabby either, better than none.

nano
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice buck , congrats!

Steeleco
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Good going guys. Dad if you want to fire the first 2 pictures to steeleco@gmail.com we'll make them "much bigger" !!

coach
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Great going guys. Congratulations!

BimmerBob
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Way to go, congratulations on another successful muley hunt!

rifleman
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
great story. I read the whole thing- it was exciting. congrats to you guys.

steepNdeep
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
That's awesome - great buck!! I can't wait 'til my boy is old enough...

demlake
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the story, and the pics.

dl