PDA

View Full Version : caping while doing gutless meathod?

Brew
09-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I know its method not meathod. Ordered some taxidermy video but they have not showed. I have caped out deer before but never did on any of my elk or moose. When doing the gutless method when you want to cape the animal do you cape the animal first then proceed to skin and quarter the rest. Do you skin and cape the 1st side then remove meat then roll over and repeat. If I go with the first method I risk getting meat dirty but if I go with the second method I get the cape off and cooling quicker. What is the best way?

saddlemaker
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I do second method. works well.

kennyj
09-28-2010, 05:24 AM
One side at a time.
kenny

Wild Images
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Take an 8x10 tarp, cape one side- roll onto tarp cape other
everything stays clean :-D

Good luck :mrgreen:

swampthing
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I just did a goat at long range with high winds and a pack of wolves circling me. Seriously though, I made the rear cape cut around the whole body. I then peeled one side of the unwanted hide off the rear quarter and boned it out. I then tube skinned the cape up as far as I could and removed the loin. I rolled him over and repeated. I tube skinned him out to the front leg joints and up to the joint where the skull connects to the backbone. I then severed the head at this joint. Oh yeah. When I got each front quarter skinned out I boned it as well. I took a lot of rolling it around to acomplish this, but it got lighter and easier to move as I went. This paticular job was a bitch as it was steep and I had to tie the carcass off so it wouldnt roll away to the valley bottom. I dont carry a tarp. I place the meat on a game bag as I remove it and place it in another one after. I do get some dirt on it with this method, but this was a backpack hunt and everything takes abuse on this type of hunt. Have fun.