PDA

View Full Version : Hunter accident in Skagit

303Fan
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
On saturday the 25th my brotherinlaw and i happened across an accident at the 23km bridge on the Silverskagit fsr.It happened to be a younger lone hunter on a blue newer dirt bike we had run into a couple of times on friday he,d wave as he went by we,d do the same anyway saturday we came across him and some good people trying to help him at the bridge as far as we can figure he lost control of his bike on the slippery wooden deck and crashed head first into the steel guard rails his helmet was split apart pretty good and his head was beginning to swell up we left after the ambulance arrived and later noticed life flight come in and leave roughly 45 minutes later.
Just wondering if anyone knows who this person is and how he is making out i,m going to call the Hope R.C.M.P. and see if they can say if he is going to be allright or not i wish him luck.
Larry.

Steeleco
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
That sucks, hope he's going to be alright, but he's definitely fortunate you and the others were there of his fate would be sealed. That can either be the busiest road around or a ghost town for days on end. Let us know if you hear any good news.

kgs
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Yea hope he is alright, sucks to get hurt during hunting season

303Fan
09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Called the Hope RCMP they could not find the file so i was told to call back tommorow during buisness hours and that they should be able to find it then i,ll let you know how that works out.

coquitlam
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
He is smarter than most, he wore a helmet. I have seen very few on quads and side by sides that have been wearing helmets while hunting. I raced motorbikes for years and know what a good helmet will save you from. I always have one on when hunting on my quad.

Hopefully he will be fine and just have a story and a scar

keoke
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
What time was this at, I was up there that day. Hope he is okay.

303Fan
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Would have been the early afternoon we had just come out of the Upper Silverhope fsr on our way back to camp and didn,t have a watch with us.

keoke
09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
it was weird reading it cause I was on a newer blue dirt bike too. I left around 1030.

aliagha
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
we were just entering that area at around 11 when we saw a ambulance and chopper but didn't know what happened.
hope the guy get well soon.

TyTy
09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I had a helmet save my life this year on the ski hill. will always wear one. everyone should.

ufishifish2
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah but the extra 3 seconds it takes to whip the helmet off to look through your rifle scope could be all the difference between McDonalds or a dink buck for dinner!!!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot......" Hoping he is doing fine".... of course!

Lone Ranger
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
His name wasn't Shawn or Jaime is it? About late 20s? Sounds like a buddy of mine up there, guess I'd better give him a call to check. LR

MuleyMadness
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah but the extra 3 seconds it takes to whip the helmet off to look through your rifle scope could be all the difference between McDonalds or a dink buck for dinner!!!

There are plenty of DOT approved half helmets/caps out there now. I don't need to take mine off to use my scope, and while it won't protect my face, it does a pretty good job of keeping the brain pan protected....and it's cozy too!

Very lucky there were people to help...I can't imagine lying there for hours unable to help yourself.

domyalex
09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
+1 on the helmet

I probably wouldn't be alive today if it hadn't been wearing one (Yamaha 600cc, collided with car @90 km, I flew over the car and across the intersection).

tim3500
09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I was at the pit when he arrived in the ambulance Soon after the air service landed he looked in tough shape. We didnt want to get to close and wached from a distance The paramedics and all that helped this guy sure didnt waist any time getting him out I hope hes OK its a reality shock when you see somthing like that I would want those guys on my side if I ever need it Good work and wish the guy a speedy recovery

Cdn-Redneck
09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Sea to sky in Langley sells a DOT approved quick release bucle for the chin strap.

shadow1982
09-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Any updates on the individual?

Lone Ranger
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
The who I thought it was is in FSJ for work, but I sure hope the guy is fine. Hunting or not, there's no excuse for not wearing a brain bucket. Most of my ATV accidents have been less than 10 km/h. LR

jhausner
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
The who I thought it was is in FSJ for work, but I sure hope the guy is fine. Hunting or not, there's no excuse for not wearing a brain bucket. Most of my ATV accidents have been less than 10 km/h. LR

I mirror the above, hope the guy is ok. Helmets are great but can't prevent everything. 10kph though doesn't mean you can't be killed. Can take very litle direct impact to the head to cause brain hemorrhage and in the bush where ambulances can often be 30+ minutes away, a brain hemorrhage can be a death sentance.

As people above have said, lots of open faced helmets and if you hunt < 60kph, consider taking a look at full cap ski/snowboard helmets with high Snell ratings. They would definately be loads better than no helmet and are light and completely unrestricted for scope use. I almost never take mine off even if I get off the ATV and do a bit of trekking.

coquitlam
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
SNELL is a higher approval than DOT for helmets. Important note as I have found that DOT seems to be lowering it`s standards from what I have seen on the market

huntcoop
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
...I almost never take mine off even if I get off the ATV and do a bit of trekking.

I'd love to see that :mrgreen: . Does your jacket name tag say "Hi, My name is J Hausner" as well :lol: .

303Fan
09-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Hoping to have a chance to call the Hope RCMP today to see as to how he made out i didn,t have a chance to yesterday.

Ltbullken
09-29-2010, 05:51 AM

Try a half helmet design... you can shoulder a rifle and still fire.

huntcoop
09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Try a half helmet design... you can shoulder a rifle and still fire.

Like this...?

http://www.extremesupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/600x600/AFX_Helmets/AFX_FX75_Helmets/AFX_FX75_Camo_Helmets.jpg

urbanhermit
09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
on the other hand it only takes a split second for something to go terribly wrong. A brain injury could make it impossibly to hold a job at mcdonalds or needing some one to feed you your dinner. Talk to a few ambulance guys and see how they feel about it.
I would suspect that more than a few brain injury victims would pass on a hundred Boone & Crockett animals to have their life back.
Just a thought.

303Fan
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Update just waiting to hear from the constable handling the file and one of my customers brother is a pilot for the air ambulance he has a call into him for some info i,ll let you know how this pans out.

1/2 slam
09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Like this...?

http://www.extremesupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/600x600/AFX_Helmets/AFX_FX75_Helmets/AFX_FX75_Camo_Helmets.jpg

Nope....thats a 3/4 helmet.

shadow1982
09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
thanks for the update

303Fan
09-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Another update i have heard from the Air Ambulance chopper pilot who has to remain unknown.The person involved in the accident was seriously injured he was having a very hard time breathing when he was brought to the chopper at the gravel pit at this time i have been told by the pilot that he is still in critical but stable condition.The pilot will be checking into his condition again and will let me know more then and i can then let you know.
Larry.

Steeleco
09-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Critical still after 5 days, not a good feeling I'm having. Hope I'm wrong in so many ways.

bsa30-06
09-30-2010, 06:45 PM
was hoping the news would be better.

tim3500
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
When I seen him in the pitt before the flew him out of there he was in bad shape and the paramedics were moving fast to stabalize him thanks for the up date and lets hope he gets back hunting soon

Jelvis
09-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Good thing you can't buy a three wheel atv anymore, many necks were broken .
Jel .. Maybe try walking and hiking more when hunting instead ..

Slime green cat
09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Good thing you can't buy a three wheel atv anymore, many necks were broken .
Jel .. Maybe try walking and hiking more when hunting instead ..

You really are a media/news whore eh :confused: Yeah those damn 3 wheelers might have wiped out the whole human race if they weren't outlawed :wink:

I would bet money there were more people injured and/or killed on regular 4 wheel atvs last year, than there were in all the years the 3 wheelers were on the market .
What do "those neck breaking 3 wheelers" have to do with the poor fellow that crashed his bike ?
$hit happens .... doesn't matter what your riding .

Yeah we should all just walk more so this doesn't happen anymore .... infact, lets not leave the house either because I heard the sky is falling too :mrgreen:

As for the guy that crashed his bike up the Skagit, I hope he is ok and wish him well :icon_frow

Jelvis
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I heard most accidents with quads are when loading or unloading on and off the truck used to transport the quad from town to the spot ..
Jel .. I fear for the first timerz .. scares the H outta me ... We need education and awareness ..