PDA

View Full Version : Moose transporting??

walnutz
09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Just wondering that when you shoot a spike-fork and choose to only leave the twig and berries attached for transportation do you need to keep the rack attached to the head or can it be removed for transportation.

specbelly
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
you sure do

d6dan
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Testicles do not prove its a 2 spike..Rack goes with the animal..

coach
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
The regs are clear that antlers must accompany the species license.

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
What the above said. Also if you have to quarter a Moose, remember to leave a patch of fur on each quarter as in that case you have a piece with antlers, a piece with testies, and a few pieces with nothing.

Need to leave that patch of fur, 2 inch by 2 inch roughly so they can confirm all the pieces are the same animal if it comes to that. But yes if you had the testies only on the animal, how can you prove it was a spike-fork? :mrgreen:

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh also since your question stated that you couldn't find it in the regulations, the regulations are found on page 22 bottom right corner:

When a season is based on antler or
horn size, hunters are reminded that
the antlers or horns of male big game
animals must accompany the carcass
to a residence, a meatcutter or a cold
storage plant

Similarly, the lower jaw with incisor
teeth must accompany the carcass of
a calf moose, where General Open
Seasons exist.

And in each region under the bag limits and regions table you will see a note under the species. For example in Region 3 if you look under Moose, at the bottom it will state something like:

MOOSE 3-34 to 3-44, 3-46 ✽Spike-fork Bulls Sept 20 - Oct 31 1
3-12 to 3-20, 3-26 to 3-33 ✽Spike-fork Bulls Oct 15 - Nov 15 1
✽ See Definitions section: Moose. Antlers must accompany the species licence

Note the section I bolded above.

I strongly urge you to re-read ever section of the synopsis again. The big giant green boxes are very important and if you're skipping them or glancing over them that quickly then you may be missing some vital items. I still run into Moose hunters that don't know they have to keep the bottom jaw of a calf moose.

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Thats what i thought i must have read the regs wrong.Now does the head have to remain with the animal all the way to the butcher of your choice??

Not technically as long as the antlers can be identified as being from the same animal. Again if you leave a patch of fur and such all over the place then you basically fullfill the requirements. Let's face it, many butchers don't like you showing up with head attached still.

Regardless though just to be safe I've always just left the head attached while transporting unless I've had to quarter in which case just cut the head at the neck and transport that. If it's a really big Moose that's just the price you pay for such a nice animals. They have big heads. ;)

f350ps
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
What the above said. Also if you have to quarter a Moose, remember to leave a patch of fur on each quarter as in that case you have a piece with antlers, a piece with testies, and a few pieces with nothing.

Need to leave that patch of fur, 2 inch by 2 inch roughly so they can confirm all the pieces are the same animal if it comes to that. But yes if you had the testies only on the animal, how can you prove it was a spike-fork? :mrgreen:
If I'm not mistaken you only need a patch of hair on one quarter. K

MuleyMadness
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM

You are correct...there is no requirement for every quarter to have a patch of hair. They want a patch for species ID, so unless you get stopped with 6 quarters that you claim are the same animal, it's fine. They can puzzle it together and despite what a lot of people think, the vast majority of CO's are common sense people. If they really want to dispute it, DNA works just fine for proving if it's from the same animal...a bunch of quarters with fur doesn't.

Have had that exact experience, and was told that one patch is fine, as long as it's there and the berries (and antlers of course - was a 4 point or bigger season).

MuleyMadness
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh also since your question stated that you couldn't find it in the regulations, the regulations are found on page 22 bottom right corner:

And in each region under the bag limits and regions table you will see a note under the species. For example in Region 3 if you look under Moose, at the bottom it will state something like:

Note the section I bolded above.

I strongly urge you to re-read ever section of the synopsis again. The big giant green boxes are very important and if you're skipping them or glancing over them that quickly then you may be missing some vital items. I still run into Moose hunters that don't know they have to keep the bottom jaw of a calf moose.

The big green boxes are changes from last year. Guessed you missed that when you were studying it cover to cover. Give the guy a break, he was asking a question to confirm what he thought, nothing wrong with getting a consensus.

willyqbc
09-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Now does the head have to remain with the animal all the way to the butcher of your choice??

In the regs it states that when transporting a carcass or PART of a carcass you must have attached

(i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis AND the animals tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6cm sq.

To me what this means is if you can cut the horns out of the head as long as you leave the skull plate intact as that is the "portion of the head which bears antlers". If you quarter the animal each quarter each piece would be considered a " PART of a carcass" and should therefore have a peice of hide attached.

The regs can be somewhat confusing for sure so I just err on the side of caution and leave a patch of hair on all 4 quarters. not a big deal, just leave a cuff of hair just above where you cut off the lower leg then wrap it in duct tape to keep hair from going all over the meat!

Chris