PDA

View Full Version : Region 3-41 Anterless Mule Deer LEH Tag Nov 2010

Camp Cook
09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I haven't hunted the Clearwater area in 20 + years but wanted to go there again this fall so this spring on a friends recommendation I applied for and scored an LEH anterless mule deer tag for region 3-41.

The plan is my 3 1/2 year old son and I are heading up for the last week of Oct while moose, any whitetail/mule deer bucks/anterless whitetail are open and the first week for the mule deer doe.

So I'm looking for some input on a recommended area to hunt which bridge is the best one to take to cross the river etc etc etc...

I'd appr any info want to make this a great fun trip for my little guy...

:mrgreen:

421fighter
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The easiest way is to cross at the Wirecache bridge and take the Homestead road, which later turns into road 30,then into road one, and out to Vavenby. Be sure to take a chainsaw and some chains,both tire and logging, plus an axe. Last year it snowed, and all the cottonwoods and birches were across the road, plus some lodgepole so it was a mess to drive through. We were the second vehicle, but the other one just plowed through. It may have been before all the load of snow , but it took a couple of extra hours to get through.Try google earth for a better view. Dave

Jelvis
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Go in at Birch Island up Foghorn Mountain fsr, it's got millions of deer all year round and will get you a buck or doe .. every local person hunts there because it's real good ..
Jel .. Birch Island cross river in Mu 3-41 .. bucks and does all over in there ..

Camp Cook
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks Dave...

Having my little guy along makes it so much more worrisome for me especially when I have to deal with poor weather/road conditions...

I really don't want to have to deal with running to far into the bush with the truck/camper/trailer/atv if I have to worry about clearing road to get back out especially after getting stuck this spring as bad as we did...

Took almost an hour of digging just to get the trailer/atv off the truck he still talks about the time we got stuck...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9287.jpg

4 point
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
OUCH!!!! Even with a winch you were still in trouble.

dana
09-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Just to give ya the heads up but it looks like Interfor is going to start logging in the Otter/Homestead area pretty quick here. If you are hunting from the Otter bridge side, make sure you have a two-way radio. And please, keep the quads on the non-busy roads. Don't need to end up on the grill of a loaded logging truck.

Camp Cook
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
good the roads will be clear if their working...