PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP - Roads washed out 5-12

doubled
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
We were going to leave Thursday and head up to 5-12 where we have a number of moose tags but learned today that Hwy 20 is washed out in four separate places from this damn rain this past weekend. We were going to be camping just past Nimpo Lake but the highway has washed out south of that. Does anybody know if there is a back road to the east that will get us through. Bear in mind that we have trailers.

shortroot
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
There is nothing that will get you to Nimpo Lake, until the roads are navigable. You can hunt 5-12(your zone) north west of Tatla Lake. Not as many moose, but it would still get you out and able to use your tags. Good logging road on the RHS, across from church, will get you almost back to Nimpo, but no connection where you could come out between road issues and Nimpo.

Good luck

doubled
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks Shortroot, kind of fiugred that but wanted to hear some local knowledge on the matter.

Cyrus
09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
My girlfriend worked forestry in Anahim Lake for a couple years...I will ask if she knows of a route..where abouts is the road washed out on Highway 20? I heard Kleena Kleene bridge was gone....

d6dan
09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Check out this website for all roads.

http://www.drivebc.ca/map.jsp?mapId=1769522&viewFinderMapId=0&navMode=&scale=1800000&mapImageX=30&mapImageY=67&eventId=&district=&ferry=on&camera=on&planned=on&current=on&roadConditions=on&trafficIncidents=on&chkbxRoadConditions=on&chkbxTrafficIncidents=on&chkbxCurrent=on&chkbxPlanned=on&chkbxCamera=on&chkbxFerry=on

doubled
09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Somewhere around there. The girl I taked to from the emergency op centre said there is a 1.5km stretch where there is no road. Tough to believe that.

Cyrus
09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
well I know Bella Coola is a real mess right now...heard the road won't open for a couple months...

jml11
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
http://www.bchighway.com/report/highway-closures.shtml

Only information I could find on the highway closures, updated only 1 hour ago too. Not familiar enough with the area to help though. The smaller of the two washouts closer to Tatla Lake says that only the westbound lane is closed which means they may be letting traffic through with traffic control.

Ike
09-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Somewhere around there. The girl I taked to from the emergency op centre said there is a 1.5km stretch where there is no road. Tough to believe that.

She was correct.
The first washout is at McLinchy Creek and you won't get further west than that on Hwy 20. The roadway on both sides of the bridge has been taken out, the western end damage has washed the entire road away in some sections that looks to be more than a kilometer long. It is raining there so there may be more damage before things improve. These are not small damages and will take a long long time to repair.

There are other impacted areas further west as well. I think there are going to be a lot of people who will not get to use their LEHs because of these damages......last year it was fire and this year it is flood, pretty crazy.

Cheers

Stresd
09-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Doesn't sound or look good
http://bc-interior.blogspot.com/2010/09/flooding-in-chilcotin-along-highway-20.html

Summit 512
09-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Have a look at this link http:www.resortsbc.com/wilderness-Adventures.html

Summit 512
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
http://www.resortsbc.com/wilderness-adventures.htmi

doubled
09-28-2010, 07:36 AM
This sucks hardcore. Been planning this for months, first trip with my Dad and Father inlaw together. Now the father inlaw is talking about not going.

jml11
09-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Again not too familiar with the area but 5-12 is quite a big zone there must be some access into it? Can you not drive to Tatla Lake even? I've seen many moose up the Chedakus Road and north of Puntzi Lake.

doubled
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
The father inlaw has a tag for 5-12A which has approx 60 tags given and the only road in looks like the one just past Chilanko River so could be pretty busy.

The boys will still be going but the oldtimers wanted to hunt the original location we were going to. Also, they do not like to walk as much as they would have in their younger years.

We will still have fun regardless but it just won't be the hunt we thouht we were getting into.

shortroot
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
They are supposed to be opening up a route to between Tatla Lake and Nimpo lake via a couple of logging roads that are not currently joined, but run adjacent to eachother. They have connected the roads at the moment, but I don't think that they are allowing public traffic through just yet. Calling Interior Roads (250-742-3436, or 250-476-1206) may help you get an idea of when it will be open.

You may be able to get to nearly all of your zone Doubled.

doubled
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I checked the Drive BC Website at 11:45 and it said the road was opened. I was hooting and hollering and everybody at work was wondering if I had won the lottery. I checked back at 12:30 and it was closed again. WTF!!!!