PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get out with kids - need help

JAFA
09-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks for looking appreciate any help or general advice.

Taking my daughter out for the first time and my son, an avid hunter.

He is 9 she is 11. We will be out for the weekend. We are looking to get a Mule Deer.

I am thinking to go to Lawless/ Tulameen Fsr.

I have a couple questions;
Is this a good area to go from Burnaby?
Is there a better area to go about the same travel time?
How far in should I travel before I set up camp?
What elevation would the bucks be this time of year?

I am relatively new to hunting (5-6 recent years) but have lots of the basics down, if you can help me get to the general productive area we should be fine.
Thanks Jim.

specbelly
09-27-2010, 07:58 AM
I take the kids to the Tunkwa lake area between Merrit and Kamloops. heading there myself this weekend

Leaseman
09-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Fair amount of logging going on in there Jim!

For the closeness, hard to beat the location.... been hunting it myself for 25+ years and like the area! Biggest thing to do is pick an area and hunt it! There is probably 300+ kilometers of roads and trails in there, lots of animals around but the bush is thick, tons of new growth 1year-20+ years. Most people make the mistake of trucking all over the country in there..... Use to hold many huge bucks from the days beofe the Coq. highway, still some brutes to be found, but most are dinks...

A couple of good forestry campsites around Vuich Creek, also a good trail (old road) that runs up the side of the creek and takes you way back in to a big basin..... seen/got some nice bucks in there but was a pain to get out (never had a machine).... glass all the old fire/skidder trails in the many slashes you will see and good luck!

I do the trip up there many times just as a day trip! Enjoy the sites, many deer, seen lots of grouse, 5 bear last trip and the odd moose!

I will be up roaming this Saturday for the day, taking my Dad and son!

Mike

Steeleco
09-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Just spent the weekend in that general area. It's huge!! There's so much to see and learn. We did see deer but ALL of them were does. I'd suggest looking at a good set of maps and Google earth and pick an area that strikes your fancy. Go there and hunt it, you may not see things every time, but you will sooner or later!

If your inclined to spend the night, the Murphy lakes is a good place to spend the night!! :wink::wink:

nano
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Was up there to this weekend and really like the area.driving time was quick we left bby at 4:30 am and got there by 7AM.

JAFA
09-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much for helping out, will post when we return.
Jim

Iron Glove
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Ditto what the others have said.
A couple of suggestions:
1. Oct 1 - 31 is "any Buck" so your chances go up.
2. Oct. 10 - 31 is Antlerless for Whitetail. You would need to go at least to Tulameen for any real chance for a whitetail but it provides another opportunity. We'll be sending Thanksgiving and the next week at our Tulameen cabin and hope to take advantage of both opportunities.
Good Luck. :)

Leaseman
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
And don't forget the immy's.......:mrgreen:

sparkes3
10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
pm sent let us know how it goes

sawmill
10-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Wishing you good luck!

curt
10-02-2010, 08:51 AM
if you ask Jelvis he will fill you into to the exact spot the deer will be standing!:)