PDA

View Full Version : empire valley

09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Anyone been there yet this year?
thinking of going soon? too early?
any tips? or areas I should take a good look at?
thanks guys.

lilhoss
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Too early,cold weather late Oct before they close it for the Rut.Not what it used to be though,overhunted in the past and a few too many wolves.Hunt towards the Churn creek area of the valley near the breaks and plateaus.Good binos and a pack board and get off the beaten path.

tinhorse
09-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Lots of wolves is what I have heard. I plan on hunting it again in about 2 or 3 years. With the reg changes it should start to produce some good bucks again in the future, but for now look closer to the mountains.

09-26-2010, 07:48 PM
thinking of hiking down to the river from the calving barns and staying the night down there. don't the deer cross the river down there?

shawnwells
09-26-2010, 09:25 PM
i love i there...been awile since i been there...i managed a brown bear and a nice buck...but i stayed by myself for 5 days in a tent....you ever heard a cougar scream?....by yourself in a tent at night there...you hear some weird shit...

M.Dean
09-27-2010, 07:32 AM
We always stayed at the Hay Barns, I counted 49 different trucks, trailers, horse trailers, campers, tents Etc. I hiked across the road passed the washroom and took the trail up from there. In 4 days of hiking I never met another hunter! Some incredible country, I seen more deer in a day than some do in a life time! Found a truck load of sheds, left them where they were for all to see, never fired a shot but one of the best hunt's of my life! When you hike back down to the road, make sure your on the right trail, as you go down it get's real steep, if you miss your mark you end up looking over a cliff 200 feet down, then you hike back up a mile and try again! Did that twice! Try to get up top before day light, take a real good set of boots, a good day pack lots of water etc, and hike lots before you go, it's brutal on a few trails but well worth it! Have a great trip!

09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I spent a week up there last year but I just couldn't find a four point. I glassed and stalked tons of deer every day but no luck. and we only saw one 4 point get harvested while we were there.

has anyone hiked down to the river???

BCrams
09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I spent a week up there last year but I just couldn't find a four point. I glassed and stalked tons of deer every day but no luck. and we only saw one 4 point get harvested while we were there.

has anyone hiked down to the river???

Like most, you're hunting too low in the pretty open grasslands. There are more 4 point bucks the higher you go into the timber up Blackdome and no hunters. It takes a lot of cold / snow to drive those bucks down low where everyone is camped. Be a few legal bucks down low at any given time, but more are higher up.

shawnwells
09-27-2010, 08:18 PM
i noticed the bigger deer were popping out when it was damn near dark....like theyre nocturnal....or smart i guess...right on the edge of the flat coming up for the river ....i as usual missed a dandy right at last shooting light...i miss a lot...ha ha get too excited i guess...

pnbrock
09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
do you have to be mennonite to hunt gang ranch?lol

09-27-2010, 10:38 PM

what??????

pnbrock
09-28-2010, 07:00 AM
every monno hunter i know from lml hunts the gang.it was a joke.

deerstocker
09-28-2010, 07:48 AM
i run away from that place now --- way over hunted

David Heitsman
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM

Is it not owned by Saudi interests?

As to the Empire, this is the first time in many years we won't heading in there. Haven't seen a good one or seen a good dead one now for three years.

You might try up at the Chilcotin / Fraser confluence. You get away from the spike and doe hunters up there. Find a friend with a jet.

09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
well I'm off. to hunt region 3 and 5 for a week. if you see a green 90's f250 with a camper stop buy for a cold one and a bullshit.
good luck guys.