PDA

View Full Version : Pics of portable garage

cmac
09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Looking at modifying a portable garage for my hunting camp was wondering if you guys who have done it could post some pics especially of stove setups and custom doors. Thanks

ratherbefishin
09-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I can't post pictures,but what I did was make plywood ends with a door and plexiglas window on the front end and plexiglas windows on the back end.I cut a piece of galvanized tin for a stove jack and that is on the front,the other side of the door.The heavy duty tarp goes over the middle and is secured to the pipes with PVC pipe clamps[cut out about 1/3 and they snap over the pipe frame holding the tarp].The ends are a bit under 10' wide so I have 3 sections,and they are held together with drywall screws onto a 10' section of 2x3 which forms the threshold.I drilled holes about 2' apart around the side and top of the end pieces and this is attached to the pipe frame with zap straps.I cut a couple of4''- 6'' logs 20' long and lay along the outside sides and attach the tarp to it with those elastic ball ties,so that holds it down and keeps drafts out.Remember to trench the perimeter and when it rains, the belly in the roof of the tarp makes for a handy way to get clean water thats safe to drink and cook with

The whole thing was pretty cheap, I think I paid $200 for the 10x20 tarp garage and I had some 3/8'' plywood and some plexiglas around and with an airtight oval stove from Surplus Herbies inside keeps us warm and dry and is big enough for 3 or 4 guys to sit around,dry clothes,cook,and sleep.I stack wood at the side beside the stove[at a safe distance] to dry.Sure-I'd like a proper canvass wall tent with an internal frame-but this serves the purpose at a fraction of the price

It assembles and comes down pretty quick-a couple of guys can handle it nicely.I'm heading up to PG a week today with my boys with 2 ''any bull ''tags and that will be home for 10 days.

killman
09-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Friends set up. Garage on the end of a wall tent.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2033.JPG

MuleyMadness
09-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Friends set up. Garage on the end of a wall tent.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2033.JPG

Damn...that is nice

Is it natural to have dirty thoughts when looking at a hunting camp setup? :mrgreen:

ratherbefishin
09-26-2010, 05:56 PM
thats a heck of a smart idea-having a rain shelter in front of the sleeping area,doesn't cost much and greatly adds to the comfort and convenience

Lone Ranger
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Very nice setup! Especially with more than a couple guys, it makes for an awesome hunting (or camping) trip when you're set up like that. Most of the guys I hunt with build setups like that whereas I tend to pack light and sleep in the truck. I sure do appreciate the convenience, though, when we're out for a week and its -20 outside. I think even the hardiest of us would grumble a bit when waking up every morning for a week in a frozen vehicle with frozen condensation hanging from the roof waiting to thaw and drip on everything :icon_frow.

I got lazy enough a couple of years back and broke down and bought a camper. Just as easy to keep warm, and enough cubic space so that you're not breathing your own breath all night.. which is a good thing after chilli and steak night mixed with some beers! Camper's are no good for sittin' back enjoying beers around a fire after hunting all day though, tent setups are much better for socializing in. LR

Woody
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
that set up is very similar to the one i have except that instead of useing the tarp it comes with we just tarp the wall tent and garage with one tarp and poly the sides lets free lite in and built a front door for it works great. Also the garage poles were free as someone is always throwing one away.