PDA

View Full Version : 4-22 Bull River valley

jonz
09-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Thinking of checking the area out in a week or so, never been there. How is the hunting in there these days? Will be mainly after deer but have an elk tag in case. Might try some river fishing too.

Brambles
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM
watch for grizz

jonz
09-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Yea I heard about the grizzlies there. And cougars. Havent heard of any attacks there though. We will be camping in a tent trailer I hope that's safe enough. Probably shouldnt do too much cooking inside it lol.

Brambles
09-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Yea I heard about the grizzlies there. And cougars. Havent heard of any attacks there though. We will be camping in a tent trailer I hope that's safe enough. Probably shouldnt do too much cooking inside it lol.

make sure you don't set up camp on any "clear migratory paths",

The attcks usually happen after you've shot an elk, rifle shots sound a dinner bell, and the grizz come to have a look. Post a guard while working on your kill

steepNdeep
09-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Actually there were 2 hunters that were killed in that area by a grizz. Just like Brambles said... they had an animal down in and it came in and killed them both while they were working on the animal...

Rattler
09-26-2010, 09:59 AM
I called in a Sow Grizzly with a cub three years ago and luckily for me she went the other way, but not before she was 20 yards from my partner and I. Lots of G-bears in that valley!

ELKOHOLICBC
09-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Its a good spot I just got back from two weeks in that area. Like everyone says lots of Grizz, and lots of hunters. Every one of my spots I went into this year had Grizz sign and there was a Grizz shot at in the valley this year by two hunters at ten feet. I called one in and heard of at least half a dozen more called in this year. In twelve years back there thats the most Grizz sign I've seen. We also called in a nice wolf to about 20' in the timber.

twodog
09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I just got home from fishing the ELK river. The river was unfishable with flies as too muddy. A lot of rain lately.

kennyj
09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Nobody has mentioned that there's tons of elk and deer there. Great hunting.
kenny

killman
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Nobody has mentioned that there's tons of elk and deer there. Great hunting.
kenny

Trying to scare everyone off with the Bear stories first!:wink: Maybe some should start to die.:wink:

finish
09-27-2010, 06:41 PM
nothing up there anymore, been scared away! But ya, lotsa fuzzy faces

killman
09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Grizz and elk live in the same country... just a fact of hunting... if someone is scared of bears they're in the wrong sport... :wink:

Here is the story from Gary Shelton's book "Bear Attacks the Deadly Truth" about the 2 elk hunters killed by a grizz:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5031439267_a74da102b8_b.jpg

If someone was trying to scare someone they would post something like this nasty pic... *Warning - graphic pic* :eek:
http://forums.steroid.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27227&d=1074574821

LOL nice pic! Relax steep I was just funning ya. hence the :wink:.

steepNdeep
09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Trying to scare everyone off with the Bear stories first!:wink: Maybe some should start to die.:wink:

Grizz and elk live in the same country... just a fact of hunting... if someone is scared of bears they're in the wrong sport... :wink:

Here is the story from Gary Shelton's book "Bear Attacks the Deadly Truth" about the 2 elk hunters killed by a grizz in the Koot's:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5031439267_a74da102b8_b.jpg

I've never hunted up there, so couldn't care either way... if someone was trying to scare someone they would post something like this nasty pic... *Warning - graphic pic - you are sick if you look* :eek:
http://forums.steroid.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27227&d=1074574821

steepNdeep
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
LOL nice pic! Relax steep I was just funning ya. hence the :wink:.

Whoa.. how'd that happen??? I was just funnin' back, hench the :wink: :rolleyes: :wink:

killman
09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
How is the Grizz season there?

Crazy_Farmer
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Just came out of that area after 4 days. Saw grizzly footprints going in.

We were sleeping in a tent so we were pretty ready if anything happened. Anyways on the hike back to the truck after not being able to get up to my goats that morning we followed a set of grizzly sow and cub tracks for probably a km down the road. Very fresh from that night before as we walked that road the day before.

Needless to say we held our guns a little tighter and looked back and sideways too. I almost thought we'd run into them on the trail but they turned off into the creek.

Didnt see a single deer or elk though, not lieing either, I thought we had overgrown thick forests down here in the lower mainland. I always thought the EK was alot nicer but damn I didnt expect the terrain like how it was.

GoatGuy
09-28-2010, 12:50 AM
It's good country, lots of elk, wt, goats and muleys in some spots. Hike 20 minutes and you'll have the place to yourself. There's bears just like everywhere else in the EK and most of the province.

If you aren't seeing game or sign try another spot, it's a big valley.

Tyler21
09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
yeah, lots of bears and people, there is better places to go, and three outfitters up there, might want to look for a more quiet place to go

Tyler21
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
four outfitters actually but the one guide got the boot!!

sawmill
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Pretty busy up there,been a few times but never again.

J_T
09-28-2010, 07:07 PM
We hunted the bow season there. Ran in to 8 grizzlies in a relatively small area. On the 8th, my Dad was followed into his stand at close range by a nice boar grizz. With kills (bow kills, no noise) the bears were on the leftovers immediately and had them buried.

jonz
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Ok 8 grizzlies in a small area is too many for me. I better start planning for a new area.

GoatGuy
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok 8 grizzlies in a small area is too many for me. I better start planning for a new area.

The south thompson is about the only region you shouldn't expect to run into grizzly bears. Wouldn't be too concerned.

j270wsm
09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Come over to 4-23, I see a max of 3 during the fall. LOTS of elk. Send me a pm and I will even tell you some spots to look

killman
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
We hunted the bow season there. Ran in to 8 grizzlies in a relatively small area. On the 8th, my Dad was followed into his stand at close range by a nice boar grizz. With kills (bow kills, no noise) the bears were on the leftovers immediately and had them buried.

Sounds like "Thinning" is in order.

j270wsm
09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Sounds like "Thinning" is in order.

Can't do that, Grizzly bear numbers are too low, might push them on to the Endangered species list............SHOOT THEM.

Jelvis
09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
MU 4-22
Bull River -- Pickering Hills ... (Good Elk Hunting Country) ...
The Bull River road runs north to East White main, east of Whiteswan Lake in MU 4-24
Another branch eastward runs across to the Sulphur Creek road which joins Hwy 3 just east of Fernie.
.... Watch for Motor Vehicle Hunting Access Closure on Iron Creek road, and on Quinn Creek road.
.... This is good elk hunting country, with some deer and moose.
Very heavily hunted. Also access from Hwy 3 behind Jaffray, Galloway and Elko.
PS ... there's more grizz in MU 4-24 from Canal Flats a rat a tat tat .. Grizzly abundant in 4-24