PDA

View Full Version : Grouse in Lower Mainland

nedarb2
09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Over the summer i got my core and pal. I just got a 22 today and am at school in vancouver (from v.island) and would like to get into the bush and hopefully track down some grouse in the next couple weeks.
Not being from the area, could anyone point me in the right direction on where to go? feel free to pm too!

r106
09-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I heard out in squamish area is not bad but don't know personaly. I have been dirt biking in the chilliwack - Hope area for 10+ years and have only seen 2 grouse. But up the coq if I don't see atleast 4 a day something is wrong
________
Og kush marijuana strain (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

Kyle84
09-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Chipmonk..

r106
09-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Chipmonk..

Thats were I seen the 2 over a 10 year period :neutral:.

lets just say if I go hunting in the lower mainland I don't bother with having a 22 or shotgun with me.
________
New mexico marijuana dispensary (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

jhausner
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
You'll be hard pressed. Too many ATVs and dirt bikes in the back country not to mention our weather is not the greatest for them. Your best bet would be either up Burke Mountain out in Coquitlam, or head up the 99 towards Whistler. The season up there is a bit short though.

If you want Grouse you're going to have to drive into the interior unfortunately I think, Kamloops/Cache Creek/Clinton, etc. It's not that far, make a weekend of it. :)

But hunting strictly Lower Mainland you'll have to go areas where there are no dirt bikes or ATVs so expect a good hike in. You start seeing them in Manning Park quite a bit so maybe head up that direction up in the back behind the park. You can hunt just the edge of the park outside the boundary, there are some horse trails up there. There are also some ridge lines and areas around Hope that the Grouse collect around, but again you'll be hiking and camping not just day trekking in which case you should just drive the extra 2 hours to the Kamloops region and hunt the FSRs up there. Make a weekend of it. :) Or get a bigger rifle and head in for Deer or Black Bear.

john g
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I've run across Blue Grouse in the upper elevations in the Chilliwack River Valley, but I wouldn't say that they are thick in there. Airplane Creek, Tamihi Creek, and the upper Slesse come to mind. Unfortunately, many of the FS roads are now gated and access to the high country is much more limited than it used to be.

Jelvis
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Chilliwack Mountain and Sumas Mtn with .410

TheDuckinator
09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Seen a few up chipmunk while quadding, and surprisingly spooked one up by stave while hiking. But your best bet is to just drive up the coq and take one of the off ramps to an fsr. If you do though bring a centerfire and a deer tag, you'll kick yourself silly if ya dont ;)

Best of luck!

gamer
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I have seen a few north end of Harrison Lake. Very few and far between. If you drive less than an hour past hope and hit the backroads you will find loads of them.

Kevin So
09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Go deep and high into Squamish Valley, buddy got 3 missed one last weekend. Not a shooting gallery but they are there.

09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
lets just say if I go hunting in the lower mainland I don't bother with having a 22 or shotgun with me.

poor guy doesn't shoot water fowl

what about ducks and geese???????

Derp
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM
x2 on the squamish valley, saw about 6 on a drive in

School Glue
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
If you go up between nahatlache and the top of harrison lake me and my buddy went in there and pulled each our bag limit for both saturday and sunday but you just got to get them while they're jumping up becuase once they start flying threw those trees it gets difficult to land a shot but we also found a few on the roads in too.

DGuest
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I've run across Blue Grouse in the upper elevations in the Chilliwack River Valley, but I wouldn't say that they are thick in there. Airplane Creek, Tamihi Creek, and the upper Slesse come to mind. Unfortunately, many of the FS roads are now gated and access to the high country is much more limited than it used to be.

Same here, I've seen a decent number at higher elevations....nothing down low at all. Particularly Airplane creek area.