PDA

View Full Version : Reaching Out - Wife Says if I don't Fill Two Tags I Have to Sell My Guns!

PointMan
09-25-2010, 07:45 PM
My wife's loosing her patience! She told me today, "You've been hunting 4 years now and I STILL don't know what deer tastes like! Bring me two deer this year or lose the guns and buy a camera!" (I wonder if she remembers what my new Savage looks like, maybe I could sell the Lee and tell her it was my new one?!) LOL

Honestly though, she's been a trooper about it but she would like to see some deer this year, I know I can probably fill up on does this season, but at least ONE decent buck would be nice. The only one I saw today was a BEAUTIFUL 5 point WT, unfortunately it was pitch black (5:00 AM), on the highway, crossing onto private land. Nice huh, like he knew what the situation was. So, I know a couple of you guys sent me offers on a hunting mentor ship, might be a PM inbound soon. LOL

little moose
09-25-2010, 07:52 PM
there are alway other options

Jelvis
09-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey if you hunted four years in BC and dint get a single deer .. hang em up .. something wrong here
Jel .. that is pathetic lol .. where were you hunting?
PS My buddy killed two deer within a month with his car near Kamloops lol .. at two different times .. by accident ..
The deer are everywhere in a radius around Kammy town .. lol .. I'm serious .. I'd divorce you .. lol

nano
09-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Point Man I hear ya. I've been hunting around Vernon for 4 years know and still haven't gotten a deer. Thats just my luck.

BromBones
09-25-2010, 08:17 PM
So she threatens to make you sell your guns if you don't kill something??

That's sick. She's a sick, sick woman.

ElectricDyck
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
How much time are you in the bush?

PointMan
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
How much time are you in the bush?
Not near enough, I work day shifts most of the week and evening shifts all week, I can usually get in Fridays for most of the day though. I'm hoping to have a bit of better luck this year, I'm slowly getting my tactics worked out and I have a decent rifle. My old one was a 94 in .30-30, which is a good close range gun but hard to get close to a running WT. Now I have a savage .30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope. Lost a couple the first couple of years because distance was too great for the 94 and my stalking tactics SUCK! LOL. I grew up hunting moose in NF and we all know they're not too bright, and they're so plentyful there we call them the Newfie Speed Bump.

snowhunter
Here you go. You have now proven to yourself, that it is much easier to find a wife than a deer :)

PointMan
So she threatens to make you sell your guns if you don't kill something??

That's sick. She's a sick, sick woman.
LOL No KIDDING!

PointMan
09-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey if you hunted four years in BC and dint get a single deer .. hang em up .. something wrong here
PS My buddy killed two deer within a month with his car near Kamloops lol .. at two different times .. by accident ..
The deer are everywhere in a radius around Kammy town .. lol .. I'm serious .. I'd divorce you .. lol
*SOB* You have no HEART MAN! *SNIFF*

ElectricDyck
09-25-2010, 08:47 PM
If you are after a mulie, don't forget to get out lots just before and during the rut, your chances go way up.

If things go bad, let me know what your selling lol!

300wsm
09-25-2010, 09:02 PM
dude...that is a long time with no success.
I admire your persistence but i am afraid it is not your luck.
lol and you think your gun is hard to hit a running white tail with??? so is any gun.
do you hunt the same area? do you use the same strategies? do you have a stragey? do you have any friends that hunt? can you shoot? like i mean have you got a shot off at anything in 4 years?
i don't want to be an ass but i really do think that we could best help you if you tell us the answers and let us all comment.
and why can you not get a mentor?
i really do want you to get something this year. we can help. i was in jelvis' neck of the woods and saw 14 bucks in 2 days, plus i shot a bunch of grouse and saw my first red fox and saw a massive black bear. area is important. tell us where you hunt...hehe you don't have to worry about anyone finding your honey holes.

i really think that we should help this guy get his hands bloody this year. oh ya... i can kind of see your wifes point so lets get you a deer!

300wsm

PointMan
09-25-2010, 09:23 PM
dude...that is a long time with no success.
I admire your persistence but i am afraid it is not your luck.
lol and you think your gun is hard to hit a running white tail with??? so is any gun.
do you hunt the same area? do you use the same strategies? do you have a stragey? do you have any friends that hunt? can you shoot? like i mean have you got a shot off at anything in 4 years?
i don't want to be an ass but i really do think that we could best help you if you tell us the answers and let us all comment.
and why can you not get a mentor?
i really do want you to get something this year. we can help. i was in jelvis' neck of the woods and saw 14 bucks in 2 days, plus i shot a bunch of grouse and saw my first red fox and saw a massive black bear. area is important. tell us where you hunt...hehe you don't have to worry about anyone finding your honey holes.

i really think that we should help this guy get his hands bloody this year. oh ya... i can kind of see your wifes point so lets get you a deer!

300wsm
Most of my hunting is done either near Echo Lake or somewhere off Harris Creek. I am slowly learning that my old technique of tromping around in the bush is the wrong approach, I'm paying closer attention to wind direction, how fast I walk and the noise I make while doing it. I have been CLOSE to taking a few shots over the last couple of years, but they were either mixed in with cattle, hinding away on a run or a 3 point during the 4 point season. My biggest problems are time and truck access, most of the time I'm lucky if I can get out once every two weeks, and I'm cruising around in a minivan, so that makes WHERE I hunt a little more of an issue. I don't really know a lot of hunters, I do have one buddy who hunts, but it's tough getting together with him, time issues for both of us. I have been making connections with a couple of guys on here, even been out with Jon just yesterday.

newhunterette
09-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I am having some good giggle fun with your posts lol

Pointman - it's similar here in our house only I told my hubby I am tired of filling our freezer, so if he doesn't bring some meat home this trip he is on, not to come home at all :)

but all in good fun of course, I just want him home safe and telling me he had the time of his life

I am sure there are lots of cool guys here to give you a hand so you wont have to sell your guns, or better yet ask your lovely wife to join you on a trip and be your spotter.

Happy trails and straight shooten

ps: it took me 4 years before I harvested my first big game animal (moose)
and I am still trying for a deer and a bear
the more time your in the woods the better your chances of harvesting - dont give up

BimmerBob
09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey Pointman, how much do you think you will be asking for your guns?:-D

09-25-2010, 10:08 PM
You live in Vernon and can't find a shootable deer?

Get out there, get into the slashes early, stay away from wifey till you fill those tags, no excuse.

OR PM me on what you have for sale.

Your flippin surrounded by deer buddy !

CT

09-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Most of my hunting is done either near Echo Lake or somewhere off Harris Creek.

Have you been over the top of Harris and into the Kettle River drainage yet? Have seen mulie, moose and griz up near the summit.

Iron Glove
09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like my wife @ ten years ago.
I was amassing quite a firearms collection and she finally said "Are you going to go out and kill something or are you just collecting the damn guns".
So, off I went, got my CORE etc. and went out killing, albeit not much.
I keep buying guns at a furious rate tho'. "But dear, I need a different rifle now for the big deer, the other one is only good for small deer." :wink:

09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
pm sent
hope that helps.
good luck.

swampthing
09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Tell your wife that hunting isnt all about meat. Every time you come back from a hunt, talk about how awesome it was to be in the woods that day. Tell her that hunting is the stress relief that is needed after dealing with lifes duties. Tell her how much you like being home with her after your near death experiences in the wilds. When none of that works, hook up with someone who can put a buck in your sights. Any buck season is almost here.

Amphibious
09-26-2010, 08:47 AM
get a new wife :)

.330 Dakota
09-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Point Man I hear ya. I've been hunting around Vernon for 4 years know and still haven't gotten a deer. Thats just my luck.

Soooo whatcha got for sale? LOL

Fisher-Dude
09-26-2010, 08:57 AM
"Wife Says if I don't Fill Two Tags I Have to Sell My Guns!"

Yeah, I'm gettin' married really soon! :roll:

She needs a tune-up...start by taking the girly stuff out of the bathroom, and replace it with a stack of hunting magazines beside the shitter, and a pic of a bugling bull on the wall. Show her who's boss! :twisted:

Chuck
09-26-2010, 09:03 AM
The way I see it, you spend too much time working or not enough time hunting. If a man can't get by sufficiently by putting in five days a week, then something is wrong with your priorities.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!" - An old sage.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Whitey doe season is coming in October. If you can't get one of those in your area, maybe you should take her advice:wink:.

SSS

1/2 slam
09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Put your pants back on and tell her to pound sand. Plenty more fish in the ocean.

Tell her if she can't get any prettier she's going to have to sell her make-up.

recon
09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
You're so lucky, your wife's demand requires you to spend copious amounts of time in the field. Go hunting and go often!

j270wsm
09-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Lucky bast***. Your wife basically just told you that you can hunt your A$$ off. Mine complains that I am out too much.

eaglesnester
09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
No way would I allow my wife to make such a silly rule and follow it. My answer would be, if I did not fill a tag would be to go out and buy a nice custom safari grade 375H&H and a nice custom made Kimber 300wsm.

OOBuck
09-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Ya, lots of woman out there:mrgreen:

seatoskymiles
09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
get up early and go sit o a trail, got a big buck up around chute lake last year.

Paulyman
09-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Tell her you'll miss her ;)

ufishifish2
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I grew up hunting moose in NF.........
What exactly does NF stand for anyways??
Maybe Newfoundland???
Nuff said!!:):twisted::twisted::mrgreen:

yzchamp
09-26-2010, 12:37 PM

or grow some balls ! :mrgreen: lol

PointMan
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM
.... Honestly though, she's been a trooper about it but she would like to see some deer this year, I know I can probably fill up on does this season, but at least ONE decent buck would be nice. ......
Seems a few of you missed this part, she was kidding when she said I would have to sell my guns. She knows how much I love hunting and being in the bush, she just hates to see me come home empty handed.

PointMan
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
What exactly does NF stand for anyways??
Maybe Newfoundland???
Nuff said!!:):twisted::twisted::mrgreen:
I miss your point? Not a Newfie slur I hope. We can hunt and shoot as well as anyone else, I just need to keep adapting my tactics and pay closer attention to the signs and focus on a couple of areas instead of wandering all over the map.

thepitchedlink
09-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Sound like things are getting crazy at the PointMan house!! Hey, we'll go out again....I'm sure we can find you a WT doe when that season opens, as it cools off the bucks will start moving too. One thing you gotta do is bring your BINOS!!! Your really hindered by not having any. Glassing is really quite important here in BC and you really shouldn't be without binos at any time when hunting for safely identifying targets .

bsa30-06
09-26-2010, 01:51 PM

post up something you have shot recently instead of belittling other members, we havent seen one picture from you on a succesfull hunt just the usuall jelvis jiberish

Sundance1972
09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Haven't been up there for a couple years, but the Kettle Valley is an awesome place to hunt, and not too far from home. Lots of deer (mule and white) plus the odd moose or elk. Maybe you can get someone to show you around a little. I'd do it myself, but it's a bit of a commute from Van Isle.
Another good area is the Dee Lake chain. If you follow the road all the way through from the Kelowna side, it'll bring you out in Lavington, or vice versa. Not sure what it's like now, like i said it's been a couple years, but used to be some good fishing up there, too. Good luck!!

300wsm
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Most of my hunting is done either near Echo Lake or somewhere off Harris Creek. I am slowly learning that my old technique of tromping around in the bush is the wrong approach, I'm paying closer attention to wind direction, how fast I walk and the noise I make while doing it. I have been CLOSE to taking a few shots over the last couple of years, but they were either mixed in with cattle, hinding away on a run or a 3 point during the 4 point season. My biggest problems are time and truck access, most of the time I'm lucky if I can get out once every two weeks, and I'm cruising around in a minivan, so that makes WHERE I hunt a little more of an issue. I don't really know a lot of hunters, I do have one buddy who hunts, but it's tough getting together with him, time issues for both of us. I have been making connections with a couple of guys on here, even been out with Jon just yesterday.

ok i am really happy to hear that you have not been firing off pot shots and missing. when you are up there in your areas do you see fresh sign? do you see fresh beds?? where are they eating, drinking, sleeping and if it is novemberish...screwing. stay in one area with fresh sign.
this is not necessary but with your record i highly recommend that you print off a google earth map of your area. mark the beds, areas with a lot of scat, and where they are eating/drinking. when you get home (i don't do it on the hunt) input it and study it. it should soon start to make sense. take your best guess and set up for the mornings and evenings, keep in minds your wind and sight lines. in the midday i will scout out some more. remember this, every step is important. they can be anywhere. go slow and listen every step or two.

good luck and keep us posted.

300wsm

quadrakid
09-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Find an area you know has deer,learn to sit quiet without as much as picking your nose,no movement at all. Eventually you will see a deer that has not seen you yet.Raise rifle and shoot deer!:-D

fuzzybiscuit
09-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Just tell her the reason that you haven't been able to get a deer is because you haven't been actually going out hunting, but instead have been having a steamy affair with her fat cousin Patty!

At least you would be able to still keep half your guns!:mrgreen:

Oh, and if you're looking for sympathy, it's somewhere in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

Hope this helps.

elkdom
09-26-2010, 09:01 PM
maybe if you drove a little bit FASTER ?,,,,,,,,,,

at least you could hit ONE with your car!:?

troutseeker
09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
post up something you have shot recently instead of belittling other members, we havent seen one picture from you on a succesfull hunt just the usuall jelvis jiberish

Ah crap, you had to post some of that Jelvis blah blah blah... Please be more considerate to those of us who have blocked him:wink:, no need to quote him!!!

I think Jelvis mostly hunts in bingo halls anyways...

jhausner
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Tell your wife to start working more so you can take more time off work and thus spend more time in the bush getting better. ;)

My advice:

1: Try to get her interested in hunting and bush trekking, did that with my GF and it's the best move ever

2: If you get her interested, you have a hunting partner and I find hunting in pairs to be vastly superior to solo-hunting

3: If you can't convince her to pick up a rifle or maybe pick up a camera and come with, find a hunting buddy with a bit more experience and knowledge of the area

4: Really study the maps and areas around you and try to locate the best chances

5: If hunting deer, make sure you're getting to your locations before or near sunrise and not leaving the hunting grounds until sundown. Deer in many areas bed down during the mid-day and you'll only find them out of pure luck so if you're getting up there after like 9am and leaving at 4pm you'll probably go 20 years only seeing Does. :P

6: eHarmony, they say you can find the perfect match there....... oh we're talking Deer sorry....

bsa30-06
09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Ah crap, you had to post some of that Jelvis blah blah blah... Please be more considerate to those of us who have blocked him:wink:, no need to quote him!!!

I think Jelvis mostly hunts in bingo halls anyways...

my apologies troutseeker.:-D

Jelvis
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Thank you thank yah very mush ..
Jellyvis .. Under the B .. lol ......... what's green and shakes? jelvis parsley
.... Who wears the pants in yer whole fam damily ... lol ...if you weren't a cop I'd give yah a bad time lol

alecvg
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM

This is one of the better things I have ever seen on this website! I dont spend alot of time here, but he always seems to be talking about how awesome he is at hunting, and I have not seen one bit of proof. I think he is full of shit.

huntcoop
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Let me know if ya have anything in stainless, me like shiny guns :mrgreen: .

elkdom
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
what YOU have to do is?,,,, put her in her PLACE!,, selling your guns and quitting hunting is NOT an option,,,

my "WifeeTM" has been putting up with my wilderness ramblings for 20 years plus! she accompanies me a lot, and is great at spotting game and reading weather and game sign, although sometimes she gets a bit piss'd at my dedication to Elk Hunting especially, so recently after she(WifeeTM) was a bit perturbed with my fervor for Elk, she did complain a bit,,, SO,,,,,,,,,,,??? I had NO Choice but to put her in HER PLACE!:twisted:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

so 2 days ago, I bought her this,,,,,,,,,,

now that she knows HER place,,,,

all is well, :wink:

Mauser7x57
09-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Tell your Wife that it is not always about the Killing aspect of Hunting it is the Social aspect of Hunting, because if us mean didn't take a holiday(hunting) from our wives every year we mind loose more then our rifles. :)

PointMan
09-29-2010, 04:41 PM
what YOU have to do is?,,,, put her in her PLACE!,, selling your guns and quitting hunting is NOT an option,,,

my "WifeeTM" has been putting up with my wilderness ramblings for 20 years plus! she accompanies me a lot, and is great at spotting game and reading weather and game sign, although sometimes she gets a bit piss'd at my dedication to Elk Hunting especially, so recently after she(WifeeTM) was a bit perturbed with my fervor for Elk, she did complain a bit,,, SO,,,,,,,,,,,??? I had NO Choice but to put her in HER PLACE!:twisted:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

so 2 days ago, I bought her this,,,,,,,,,,

now that she knows HER place,,,,

all is well, :wink:
LOL
I won't even post what I've bought mine, I know there are other wives on this forum!

Deer Sausage
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
four years around here and no deer?:shock: wow! thats not good man:-D...hahaha
well heres some ideas that might help you out:

1 turn the foglights off when youre driving into a block..ditto for the stereo

2 try an alarm clock

3 smoke cigars AFTER your hunt not so much during

4 when sighting in your rifle two for three into a tin pieplate at 50 yards might not be enough accuracy

5 take off those dang bearbells!!

6 there are better makes of binocular than "fisher price"

7 keep number in hunting party under 6

8 leave your highstrung border collie at home

9 doublecheck that deer grunter doesnt go "quack" when you blow in it

10 at first light when you get to your hunting area the first thing you do is shoot a grouse with your .303...not a solid start to your morning

if that doesnt work then look at the paper...butcher boys has regular sales on pork shoulder...when that comes round again then fill the freezer and tell your better half that it's MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

thanks for the laughs! GOOD LUCK!!

09-30-2010, 02:40 PM

1 turn the foglights off when youre driving into a block..ditto for the stereo

2 try an alarm clock

3 smoke cigars AFTER your hunt not so much during

4 when sighting in your rifle two for three into a tin pieplate at 50 yards might not be enough accuracy

5 take off those dang bearbells!!

6 there are better makes of binocular than "fisher price"

7 keep number in hunting party under 6

8 leave your highstrung border collie at home

9 doublecheck that deer grunter doesnt go "quack" when you blow in it

10 at first light when you get to your hunting area the first thing you do is shoot a grouse with your .303...not a solid start to your morning

if that doesnt work then look at the paper...butcher boys has regular sales on pork shoulder...when that comes round again then fill the freezer and tell your better half that it's MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

bloddy hell im screwed! i got at least four or five of thoes as regular hunting tecniques :mrgreen: specially the morning bird!!! its so hard when their necks all stuck out.

Rodd
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
This thread is hilarious!
My wife was my hunting partner for years, some of it good, some bad.... Suddenly i found myself sharing time, weekends etc... while she was out with my hunting partners hunting, I was at home looking after the kids... I thought something wrong with this picture?? Taught her all the in and outs I knew, got her within 15yds of 6x5 whitetail that scored 155, and she shot in the elbow, I finished it off at 200yds, running like the wind.. Took her up north Stone sheep hunting and got her a real decent Ram 37 incher carried it out, and took her into the high country around here and she shot a cranker Mulie...... Now heres the stupidest part, when the firearms rules came into effect years back, we decided that she would get her POL and register our existing rifles, meanwhile I would write the PAL, and be able to get new rifles..... Somewhere inbetween she decided to leave the whole family and move into the big city, there went all my guns too..... So I guess be careful what you wish for.... Now life is good again, and have rebuilt my collection of guns, and now hunt with my kids as partners.... Don't miss any of the bullcrap! Now I hunt when I want, and whenever I want, and I like it that way better! I don't feel guilty taking time off work anymore....
Hunting partners are better when you don't live in the same house! Lots of fish in the sea, don't put up with anything that makes you un-happy...

Go and get her some deer Pointman, your planty capable, I've hunted with a newfy's before, and they can hunt believe it or not! LOL

Funniest thread I've read on here.... :)

PointMan
09-30-2010, 05:07 PM

1 turn the foglights off when youre driving into a block..ditto for the stereo - No foglights, stereo is crap

2 try an alarm clock - Deer keep ducking it

3 smoke cigars AFTER your hunt not so much during - cigars make my eyes water, a pipe is more manly

4 when sighting in your rifle two for three into a tin pieplate at 50 yards might not be enough accuracy - I'll work on that!

5 take off those dang bearbells!! - They're piercings and my wife likes them

6 there are better makes of binocular than "fisher price" - What about Tonka?

7 keep number in hunting party under 6 - That's easy, I don't have any friends

8 leave your highstrung border collie at home - It's a Dalmation THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

9 doublecheck that deer grunter doesnt go "quack" when you blow in it - CRAP! New one on order!

10 at first light when you get to your hunting area the first thing you do is shoot a grouse with your .303...not a solid start to your morning - It's a .30-30, and it's for rabbits

You were THIS CLOSE to being a friend too! LOL

ufishifish2
09-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't want to see you post a damn thing while the sun is up this weekend Pointman. Go get one.
I saw 6 bucks while simply driving the roads to work up the Kettle out past Cherryville last week. Granted, every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be out blasting anything that moves, but atleast "any buck" is finally here.
Best of luck. Come November, as I stated a couple months ago, I'll be happy to take you out if you are willing.

rocket
09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
pointman i could be worse, a couple of years back i thought it would be a good idea if the wife hunted you know some together time. more so i could hunt more. Well come september i hunted hard i mean really hard. Wife has doe draw i think it was november anyways take her out first morning and sure enough she cancels it with an hour. after i gut it and drag it like 500 yards to truck. she says so this is hunting pretty easy what have you been doing out here for the last 2 months. I told her she could skin her own dang f#@$ deer. I told her must have been the great guide and jumped in truck never said a word all the way home

PointMan
09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Toooo Funny!!!

KingdomMajesty
10-08-2010, 06:03 PM
As PointMan’s wife I would like to mention that the alleged conversation that brought on this discussion never occurred in reality. Although there is a possibility he dreamt it happened one night while feeling ashamed of coming home empty handed; I had absolutly nothing to do with it. Also in my defence I would like to say that (with the exception of this gross lie) my husband is a wonderful man who is extremely talented in all that he set’s his hands too, and I support him EVEN in hunting (well... mostly haha)... More so on the day’s where he takes one or two of the children out on the day trip with him.

Congratulations on your first kill today babes, and no, that doesn’t mean you need another new gun. :)

Camp Cook
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
My 25 year old son came up to join me and my 3 1/2 year old son on our hunt Sunday we were all going back home Tuesday afternoon.

We spotted and shot two mule deer bucks 5:15pm Monday evening.

Thats with a 3 1/2 year old along making all kinds of noise we even had to hoof it 130 yards up a cut to get set up on them...

I'm thinking you should be buying a camera as well... ;-)

leadpillproductions
10-09-2010, 08:30 AM
there are alway other options

DIVORSE PAPERS LOL

uraarchr
10-09-2010, 03:46 PM
thats funny.my wife buys me guns.and i dont even punch a lot of tags.ya gotta keep em happy!buy her some roses and go find some roadkill.

PointMan
10-09-2010, 03:54 PM
thats funny.my wife buys me guns.and i dont even punch a lot of tags.ya gotta keep em happy!buy her some roses and go find some roadkill.

Should check out this post. LOL

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56591

PointMan
11-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Thought I would resurect this thread with an update, since starting this thread last year my luck has improved a fair bit. I've since bagged 2 mulie bucks, a wt doe and a black bear. So things are getting better! Wife is happy, kids are happy, and I'm REALLY happy (still no truck yet though).

For next year, I want to start developing better tactics and an actual stratedy, an resources out there worth while? Something that will help me track down some of the bigger bucks, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the freezer full of meat, can't eat antlers. But would be nice to drop some with a decent set of horns.

Moose Guide
11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Meat is where it's at, antlers are a bonus!! Hope you smack a bruiser next fall!!!

Singleshotneeded
11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Glad to see you're eating venison finally and you didn't have to get a divorce! :-)

Wrayzer
11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Seasons not over, go bag a whitie, not hard finding a decent sized uncle buck right now.

markt308
11-23-2011, 06:40 PM
good on ya! wheres the pictures?

uraarchr
11-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Be out more when they're ruttin .Like right now!Snow is good when it comes to hunting.Get on some tracks and go.This time of year try to find where the does are and be nearby to catch the bucks cruisin for the does.Happy to hear that you didnt get divorced!

finngun
11-23-2011, 07:16 PM
hi pointman-- they are selling elk meat meatstore in salmon arm...wink-wink-hint-hint--

PointMan
11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
hi pointman-- they are selling elk meat meatstore in salmon arm...wink-wink-hint-hint--

Funny Bas*$&d! LOL

hunter1947
11-24-2011, 04:10 AM
If I was in your shoes I would say to your wife OK you want deer then help me out lets get a babysitter and with both us out there looking we will have a better chance at seeing one 4 eyes are better then two.

Then if you don't get a deer she has nothing to bitch about because she was out there looking with you :wink: and don't forget deer don't always move at first light I took my WT deer mid day on Nov 14 this year meaning you can head out latter on in the morning with the little women :mrgreen:.

Walksalot
11-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Tell her that if the rifles are sold that will give make available more time to stay home and screw.

PointMan
11-24-2011, 08:50 AM
If I was in your shoes I would say to your wife OK you want deer then help me out lets get a babysitter and with both us out there looking we will have a better chance at seeing one 4 eyes are better then two.

Then if you don't get a deer she has nothing to bitch about because she was out there looking with you :wink: and don't forget deer don't always move at first light I took my WT deer mid day on Nov 14 this year meaning you can head out latter on in the morning with the little women :mrgreen:.

LOL
I think you missed some of the thread my friend, when I first started this thread I stated that she was only joking about me selling my guns, I have since posted that I have overcome the skunking and picked up 4 animals, 3 of them this year. Now I'm looking for suggestions on how to move up to something bigger with a decent set of horns.

hunter1947
11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
LOL
I think you missed some of the thread my friend, when I first started this thread I stated that she was only joking about me selling my guns, I have since posted that I have overcome the skunking and picked up 4 animals, 3 of them this year. Now I'm looking for suggestions on how to move up to something bigger with a decent set of horns.

You will not get a big set of horns or antlers if you shoot smaller ones hold out for a good set of antlers or other.

Yusuf
11-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Put your pants back on and tell her to pound sand. Plenty more fish in the ocean.

rough, i wonder how that would go over

FirePower
11-24-2011, 06:46 PM
My wife's loosing her patience! She told me today, "You've been hunting 4 years now and I STILL don't know what deer tastes like! Bring me two deer this year or lose the guns and buy a camera!" (I wonder if she remembers what my new Savage looks like, maybe I could sell the Lee and tell her it was my new one?!) LOL

Honestly though, she's been a trooper about it but she would like to see some deer this year, I know I can probably fill up on does this season, but at least ONE decent buck would be nice. The only one I saw today was a BEAUTIFUL 5 point WT, unfortunately it was pitch black (5:00 AM), on the highway, crossing onto private land. Nice huh, like he knew what the situation was. So, I know a couple of you guys sent me offers on a hunting mentor ship, might be a PM inbound soon. LOL

A fellow I met recently through this site told me his wife said to him "It'seither the horses or me"he replied very calmly "Don't make ultimateums like that" She said "well I just did"

Oh sorry I should have said his ex wife .

lovemywinchester
11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
You are screwed buddy, don't you see the trap she is setting. She bitches because you don't hunt enough and bring home food. As soon as you start spending more time hunting she will bitch that you are never home. Screwed, better start vacuuming.

RoscoeP
11-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Why not save up some time off and go out for a week or so. Find a hunting partner. Try going in Nov during the rut, the deer are moving more, so more chances. Put in for some LEH tags in the spring to make your chances even greater. I am sure you have a great gal there that wants you to succeed. Keep trying, make a plan and you will have a full freezer. I always have a good time out hunting weather I get something or not, if I do it is just a bonus. Good luck Cheers Ross

.330 Dakota
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey thats funny considering how many you can just hit with the truck...lol

curt
11-25-2011, 09:56 AM
well if that was my wife I'd sell her and buy a few more guns if thats how she wants to play!!! :)

blindcast
11-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Hey, don't listen to the other guys. Just send me a list of the guns you have for sale. LOL

Ltbullken
11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Stop loading your balls into the chamber...

Sometimes a person is allowed a hobbie in a relationship. Does she have anything that takes time away from the marital union? And if I'm out of line, tell me to FO... All advice meant with good intentions. Just saying what I would tell my wife. Good luck with it mate!

PointMan
11-25-2011, 09:02 PM
You guys obviously only read the first bit of the post. This is an old one I reopend because I was looking for tips on finding some bigger bucks for next year. I cut one tag last year, 3 so far this year. Besides, as I said before, my wife never intended for me to sell anything, she was just kidding, she loves to see me hunt because she knows how much I enjoy it.

lovemywinchester
11-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Are you the same guy that that posted on the Alberta forum about shooting a big bear in Pemberton?

PointMan
11-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Are you the same guy that that posted on the Alberta forum about shooting a big bear in Pemberton?
ME!? God no! Only bear I've shot lately is posted on a thread here, along with a photo of my son next to it. If I was going to attemt poaching something, and I wouldn't, I wouldn't post it online.

11-26-2011, 08:40 AM
PM me on a list of guns you have for sale, as likely my wife and daughters will prove what they are to be used for.

CT

PointMan
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
PM me on a list of guns you have for sale, as likely my wife and daughters will prove what they are to be used for.

CT
Funny, maybe you should read the whole thread instead of just the title.

huntwriter
11-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Three years ago a Wisconsin hunter approached after my seminar and said the exact same thing to me. He's been hunting for 4 years and wife gave him the ultimatum. "One more season without a kill and you give up hunting, we have house and car payments and three small children."

Personally I found that ultimatum reasonable considering the financial obligations of that young couple and the lack of hunting success. However, I was prepared to help that young man. I had a few days between the end of the Wisconsin date and next appearance in Alabama and decided to show that young man how to scout properly on his hunting land. We spent two days scouting and hanging stands on the farm he had permission to hunt. Since then he's killed every year two bucks, he could have killed more but there is only so much meet his freezer will hold.

PointMan
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Three years ago a Wisconsin hunter approached after my seminar and said the exact same thing to me. He's been hunting for 4 years and wife gave him the ultimatum. "One more season without a kill and you give up hunting, we have house and car payments and three small children."

Personally I found that ultimatum reasonable considering the financial obligations of that young couple and the lack of hunting success. However, I was prepared to help that young man. I had a few days between the end of the Wisconsin date and next appearance in Alabama and decided to show that young man how to scout properly on his hunting land. We spent two days scouting and hanging stands on the farm he had permission to hunt. Since then he's killed every year two bucks, he could have killed more but there is only so much meet his freezer will hold.

Sounds like the kind of services I might have a use for! LOL

r106
11-26-2011, 08:26 PM

hahahahhaha That sh*t 's funny right there That made my day

Caveman
11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
My wife one gave me an ultimatum. I told her I was putting in for a Bison hunt and she told me and I quote. "If you think you're buffalo hunting you got another thing coming, I'll be leaving". I told her, "it's likely a once in a lifetime opportunity and if you don't think I'm going you may as well leave now because I Will be going" True story! It took me 16 years to get drawn and I went. We're still happily married, by the way!

hunter1947
11-27-2011, 04:21 AM
My thoughts are why I went through 3 divorces is because of my hunting years ,like others have said there are plenty of fish in the ocean and I am still looking for the right one.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Pointman, I bet the one thing you got more than good info to boost your success was smart-ass rants from dudes who only read the title of the thread and felt like the world needs to know how they "wear the pants"! Lol. Good to hear the tides have turned.

Be careful what kind of info you ask for on the site! Lots of crusty sharts on here.

Thankfully, lots of good dudes too. Just gotta figure out who has constructive stuff to say and disregard the others.

ufishifish2
12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Okay Pointman, Congratulations on the successful hunts you had this year. You say you want to graduate to larger bucks next season. That is going to be harder to do than your spikers and two points because those big guys are fewer and further between, plus they got that way because they are either very lucky, or much smarter! In the Vernon area, which I have hunted for a coons age, I have found two generic traits. If you want the big ones you either have to hunt low, or hunt high. The middle ground that you are probably hitting is the shits for the big guys - IMO only. The low elevation is generally out unless you own excellent property out past Lumby, or have a good friend out there! The high up stuff is likely going to be hard for you to get to unless you sell that frickin' mini van!!!!
You have basically stacked the deck against yourself since the begining. It doesn't mean you can't kill a huge buck, because you can! It just means that you are a little more limited than a lot of other hunters out there.
Sell the minivan man!!!! :)

PointMan
12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Keepin' the minivan for the wife (she can sell it if she wants), picking up a truck next year. Maybe we can do a little scouting together come sometime next year.

ufishifish2
12-06-2011, 07:46 PM
You betcha pardner!!!!!