PDA

View Full Version : The morning hunt -

BromBones
09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
It was around 9:00 am when I spotted some movement, off to the north at the end of the field. A quick check got my excitement level up - there were two of them! And they were staying put, for now at least.

Sllinking back to the house, I went inside and grabbed my 300 WSM and a couple rounds. Now for the difficult task - I had 25 yards to cover in open ground and I'd risk being spotted. But I had to cover that ground to get into a shooting position. No point holding back, just do it, I thought to myself.

Creeping across the front lawn with the skill and silence rivaled only by a barefoot indian, I made it safely to the woodpile. Getting the rifle set up and ready to make the shot, I followed by a quick check with the rangefinder. 129 yards, an easy shot with these conditions. Settling the crosshairs, and holding just a hair low, I touched off the trigger.

My 300 WSM barked, and launched a 150 grain Barnes TTSX down the field. At the bullets impact, the crow pretty well exploded. There were chunks and black feathers flying everywhere. A well placed shot, but there was no time to celebrate. At least not yet.

His partner, at the sound of the shot, took off and flew back to the west. I watched and waited, only to find the dumb SOB landed in a tree some 200 yards away. "Not far enough, Bonelips", I mumbled to myself. I swung the rifle over, and again took a reading on the rangefinder. Nothing. Try again... still nothing. What a piece of shit. Gotta be 240 yards away. One last check with the Leupold and bingo, 229 yards. Whew, good thing I had the rangefinder!

Holding a wetted finger in the air to check the wind, as often seen in the movies, I concluded that the wind was indeed blowing. Couldn't really tell which way though. :? I settled the crosshairs in the upper 1/3 of his body and fired. I could hear a faint 'thwack' as the bullet found its mark, and the crow did a slow tumble out of the tree. Perfect, I thought. That'll put an end to their cat-food thievin' days.

I sent the dog out to retrieve the second crow, to use as a warning sign for future cat-food thieves. He came back 12 minutes later with a worn out leather glove. Close enough.

Cheers :-D

bcfarmer
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
OMG......now that will make apple picking so much easier this afternoon..:grin::grin:

thanks for the story

BCF

slicky72
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I sent the dog out to retrieve the second crow, to use as a warning sign for future cat-food thieves. He came back 12 minutes later with a worn out leather glove. Close enough.

Cheers :-D

Haha well written story. :-D

fuzzybiscuit
09-25-2010, 12:24 PM
BromBones...I think you and I would get along just fine.:smile:

wunderboy
09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
LOL awesome story. I would say you were a bit under gunned. Good thing you used a bone smashing bullets. Any bullet recovery pics?

BromBones
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Good thing you used a bone smashing bullets. Any bullet recovery pics?

Surprisingly no - I figured I'd find the bullets stuck in the offside feathers, but they were complete pass-throughs! Tough to do on a crow.:wink:

Sitkaspruce
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Too funny!!!

Good use of the Mag as well. You need that on those food stealin crows!!!!

I used to get one every spring and hang it in the tree, never had them steal the dog food again.

Cheers

SS

Stone Sheep Steve
09-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Should be some good eats!!

Inviting Willy over for dinner??:wink:

Thanks for the chuckle!!

SSS

trigger
09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Haha good story

tuffteddyb
09-25-2010, 03:49 PM
was w3on dering how thw ttsx would perform on the large game!!lol!
great story! thanxs!

BromBones
09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Inviting Willy over for dinner??:wink:

:mrgreen:

Thought about it, but I'll wait until I get the results from the Compulsory Inspection. The first crow wasn't quite full-curl, and counting annuli on his beak was tough to do with my 2-7 Leupy, so I just fired anyways. The second crow may have been a nanny.

Willy would not be impressed if he showed up for dinner and was offered nanny, with a side of dink.

wunderboy
09-25-2010, 06:26 PM
I always thought the 375 ruger was min in this situation. But at least you won't have to sew up the offside feathers. Full mount?

BearSniper
09-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Well done Brombones....

You had me going there for a bit. You should consider writing as a career:wink:

Chuck
09-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Now that's how to make an ordinary story humorous and interesting. I only wish I could write like that, but alas, I have few fans and even less that want to know what I have to say about anything. Oh poo!

BUCKJR
09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
HAHAHA nice work! Very entertaining!

Tlineman
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Love it, the whole works. Can't wait to hear about tomorrow mornings adventure. :-D

tufferthandug
09-25-2010, 09:25 PM
The second crow may have been a nanny.

Hahahahahahaaaaa