PDA

View Full Version : More goat questions

Moose72
09-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Well being a rookie for the ol goat. I was just goin to ask you pros a few questions. I'm hunting an area that is known for goats, went up there and didn't see a one. Talked with a few others that have been there and they hadn't seen any either. Pretty sure there is a guide in there and also seen a big ol grizz. Do these goats move back and forth from range to range? Are they like a sheep and can be there one day and gone the next and back again in a week or so? Or? Do they just live on one chunk of rock and basicly stay there for the duration? Your thoughts and suggestions are well appreciated.

ufishifish2
09-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Firstly, I am far from a pro. Just killing time so I thought I'd weigh in. After a few goat hunts, I have found that they often roam from hill to hill, but seem to have favorite spots that they, or others can frequently be found at. The one thing I can tell you is that they do not "live on one chunk of rock" but feed from one hill to another. The snow will eventually push them lower down. Hope my little bit of info/opinion helps a bit. Best of luck.

Amphibious
09-25-2010, 07:03 AM
http://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Color-Winter-Mountain-Observed/dp/0803264216/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285423367&sr=8-1

buy this book.

300mag
09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
When you think you have looked everywhere, look again. Just came back from a similar experience. I have taken a few goats in the past, and I too was ready to give up on this trip. But I planted myself behind my spotting scope. I found them. Tucked away in a far corner of a distant valley. This is just one experience. I just remember being told by a seasoned mountain hunter, When you think you have glassed enough, glass more & when you think you have seen everything push over into the next valley, look in every bowl, crag etc...

Chuck
09-25-2010, 09:22 AM
When you think you have looked everywhere, look again. Just came back from a similar experience. I have taken a few goats in the past, and I too was ready to give up on this trip. But I planted myself behind my spotting scope. I found them. Tucked away in a far corner of a distant valley. This is just one experience. I just remember being told by a seasoned mountain hunter, When you think you have glassed enough, glass more & when you think you have seen everything push over into the next valley, look in every bowl, crag etc...

That's right! I once thought I knew everything about spotting game, until I met a guy who showed me the difference between "looking" and "seeing". Just thought I'd underline your advice. :)

goatdancer
09-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Doesn't necessarily have to be 'tucked away in a far corner of a distant valley'. On a trip to Mcbride many years ago we had 4 guys looking for the elusive creatures. 2 sets of Swaros, 1 Leica and a small set of Nikon travellers. After 3 or more hours of checking every nook and cranny, the little Nikons (superb animal enhancing optics) spotted a billy at about 250 yards. He was bedded down and only part of his head was visible. Every now and then there would be a little movement and that's what gave him away. The trick is to cover every square inch of the area and keep going over it again and again. Good luck.

huntcoop
09-25-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Color-Winter-Mountain-Observed/dp/0803264216/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285423367&sr=8-1

buy this book.

Very good advice, I bought that book and it certainly opened my eyes to goat behaviour and to look for certain things.....shot my goat on the second day of glassing :-D .

Moose72
09-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys. Guess i'll trek back up there and put the glass to work again.

Moose72
09-26-2010, 02:05 AM
And yes i did order the book Amphibious, thanks.

ryanb
09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
The first year I went goat hunting, it took me a little while to figure it out. I kept expecting the goats to just jump out at me through the binos, what with being an all white animals on green grassy slopes or dark cliffs. Sometimes they will, but especially in early season they spend a lot of time bedded, and when bedded have a tendency to disapear behind ledges and brush. Early morning and late evening are the most likely times to spot them up and about.

Also, don't overlook the areas of the mountain that don't even seem hospitable to goats, you will be surprised.

deano
09-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Any one hunting 5-04j inOct.?

thebigrig
09-29-2010, 03:07 AM
hunting 5-04E