PDA

View Full Version : hunting going good so far

sparky300winmag
09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Well took my sons out for the beginning of the hunting season.I was driving down the road heading for the area i wanted to hunt , but was checking the timber as i drove . I looked forward at the road and both boys shouted bull .They proceeded to tell me i just drove by a nice bull standing in the timber.I hoped out with my crossbow but as we started toward the timber we heard the sob crashing off .The next day we saw some cows with a bull way up in a slide.A little too far for us to try for.
I headed up a road behind our camp and Mitch yells stop , nice whitey.I didn't get a chance to check it out before he pumped in a round and let fly. Sure enough he got a nice 4 pt whitey, much bigger than last year.
We got it back to camp and hung up by about 4 pm , and i told them we had better get going to the other spot where i wanted to check for elk.Well as we were heading up to the top of the cut block i was telling the boys that we used to see mulies up there but i hadn't seen anything the last couple of times i was there.
Sure enough we see a 2pt mulie , so i tell the kids keep looking around cause there may be a few more bucks around , sure enough we spotted a 3pt and then a 4 pt, so my oldest got out and was deciding wether to take him, but decided he would wait a while , so my youngest , Mitch jumps out and takes him.Needless to say he's tagged out for reg 4 for deer.We saw a ton of whitetails maybe around 60+ , it was after a big storm.

The next weekend Mitch stayed home , so Blake( my oldest) and myself went out for the day.
I went to a spot my partners have taken elk before. I went to a clearing and bugled, and all of a sudden i got a bugle back from in the timber.I motion to Blake to get out of the truck and bugled again, another response.i told him to grab his gear cause the hunt was on.We headed into the timber stopping every now and then to bugle, every time the bull answered.We were getting very close cause the bull let out a hell- of- a bugle and seemed mad.I figured he was less than 75 yds in front of us.I checked the wind again amd everything was in our favour, so we proceeded towards the bull. I could actually smell him we were so close , but do you think we could see him....no sir. That SOB shut his mouth and dissappeared.We were sooo close.We tried it again later in the day again got a response closer to the clearing,we could hear his antlers hitting trees , we thought he was coming towards us but later i think he was getting outta dodge again.It was awsome, especially for Blake to here the bull so close , but hopefully we will connect this weekend with either that bull or another one.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/2010%20hunting/IMGP0323.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/2010%20hunting/IMGP0322.jpg

ursus
09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
That's the way to do it! Well done!

wolverine
09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Way to go! Nice to see young fellas have success like that.

ufishifish2
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Man, that smile really is priceless! Good on you all!

Blktail
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Awesome! A dream season in the making.

Rattler
09-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Good on you for taking your kids out. Those smiles say it all...

Good luck with that bull...

kennyj
09-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Those are a couple of nice bucks for your son. Congratulations.
kenny