PDA

View Full Version : walking or sitting what do u prefer

buckmark306
09-24-2010, 04:45 PM
as it says what u think works better walking cover lots of ground? or sitting watching a water hole or and area of interest?

frenchbar
09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
i like sitting in the mornin and evening..and tramping around a bit mid day.

kennyj
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I love both and have had success doing both. If you do your homework and have a good idea where the animals are , sitting works great. I also like creeping along through the timber or on a old skidder road in the rain. Take a few steps, stop and glass. Put your binos down slowly and scan the area before moving in case something stepped out while you were standing still glassing.
kenny

brian
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I agree I like both. I like to sit when the animals are moving and walk when they aren't.

wolverine
09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
If I have good feed and water along with fresh sign in the area I prefer to sit. That produced an nice 4 point last year however, this year I also bagged a 4 point by walking and stalking so I guess it depends on what the deer are doing. I do both.

BromBones
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Depends on where, and what critters I'm hunting. Have had great success either way.

Mr. Dean
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a tough time sitting still. Rarely can I endure an hour of it.

ufishifish2
09-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I can't sit still for longer than 5 minutes. I'm either freezing to death, bored to death, or my ass won't stop itching cause it somehow got wet.

john g
09-24-2010, 05:38 PM
My favourite method of hunting is spot and stalk, but that's not viable in many kinds of habitat or for some animals. It seems to be most usable when the terrain is more open, and that's usually when hunting for caribou, mule deer, sheep, bears in the spring, etc.). When it's thick and forested, I do a bit of both. If an area has plenty of sign and I can find a spot with good visibility, like a clearcut or a trail crossing, I'll sit for a while. but if I don't have a book to read and food to eat while I'm sitting, I can't last for long. Still hunting is more fun for me, but isn't any more effective, and it's harder to do w/o spooking the game. I really have to force myself to go slowly and look carefully before I move along.

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Like some of the others have said here, it's hard to sit still for any length of time for myself, I am getting better at it though.
I am always wanting to cover more ground and see what's around the next corner or over the next ridge, curiosity gets me most of the time.

I also do the slow walk through the woods being careful not to step on to many branches, but sometime when things aren't being seen I give up and start walking/hiking at a normal rate of speed, I have had two successes waking deer up out their bed in the forest by crashing around, but man you got be fast on the draw before their done rubbin their eyes.

BearSniper
09-24-2010, 08:09 PM
I read a mule deer hunting article that said the most successful deer hunters spend hours upon hours sitting on their butts glassing.

Either from tree stands or just sitting watching a ridge or south facing slope, seeing the deer bed down, or come out at dusk from bedding down, got them a chance at a shot.

Also, the article said many hunters took a deer when it got up from it's bed and shifted position due to the sun arc travel at mid day

The article couldn't emphasize enough the importance of glassing.

I think I'm going to try that more often this fall, as opposed to pounding the bush.

They likely hear me coming anyways no matter how quiet I try to be.

twoSevenO
09-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I read a mule deer hunting article that said the most successful deer hunters spend hours upon hours sitting on their butts glassing.

yeah i will agree with that. My dad has a lot more patience to sit still and consequently is much more successful than I am.... :(

They likely hear me coming anyways no matter how quiet I try to be.

agreed. Not to mention smell you as well, even if they don't see you or hear you.

Jagermeister
09-24-2010, 08:36 PM
When I was younger, I would walk for the most part. Later in life, I took to sitting because I got lazier and found that, sooner of later, whatever you may be hunting is going to walk up to the area where you have your ass planted.
Of course, it is essential that you plant that butt where there are going to be animals. That is going to take some hiking to find the trails and areas that your game will frequent.
In reality, one cannot be done without the other.

bearhunter338-06
09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a couple areas I like to hunt that invlve sitting and walking, or sometimes driving. I have one big problem when sitting, I tend to fall asleep.....lol.

Caveman
09-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I like to walk awhile then sit and listen in an area I can see well in, then repeat the process. Cover 5-6 hundred yds, in the timber, and sit for a half hour or at least fifteen minutes.

Jelvis
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I walk for ever never sit to see deer .. never have yet anyways, but I am getting older so maybe in the future.
Jelly Walker .. I hunt mule deer for the exercise and walking the wild bush .. not just for a deer .. I live in Kamloops, I could nail a deer any day from an hour from my place .. but go deep woods for Mr.Big.

shawnwells
09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
sitting and calling is the best way for hunting ever...and in high country sitting and glassing is the best way for hunting ever...in my opinion...and im not going to argue about it...at all...but a lot of fellas can barely sit still as i can barely sit still....but lots of time i do it pays off...then you bring animals in on their own terms and get good shots as opposed to freaked out animal running shots...i miss every first shot...so i rely on animal relaxation ha ha

Brian011
09-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I enjoy doing both but I've had way more success from just sitting. I tend to scare more animals by walking and never seem to get a good look at them. By just sitting you don't make any noise and animals don't even know you are there.

Sooke Hunter
09-24-2010, 11:48 PM
I like to still hunt...seems to work OK and lots of fun!!

2SHALLOW
09-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Every moose i have ever shot was from sitting and calling early in the morning. But i must admit i did sit in a spot this year for elk for about two hours and got up and started to walk in a hundred yards from where i was calling and there was a bull elk standing there!!! should of waited another 15 min and he would of walked right out in front of me.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
It really depends on the terrain and conditions.It is crazy to still hunt when the snow is crunchy or the bush is tinder dry.I like to hike up to the the ridge tops at dark and get above the deer before shooting light and sit and glass.

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Depends on the terrain and area/animals hunting. As the above poster said, can be crazy to hike around with dry tinder cracking everywhere and snow crunching but that isn't a for sure defeat either. I was in Carpenter Lake area start of September with 4 points openned and a buddy and I were walking around where the forest fire was crunching and making loads of noise and were still able to track down and spot deer. No 4 points unfortunately.

If I can find a well travelled game trail or a watering hole I know has fresh and recent tracks, I may sit and watch. I tend to only sit on ridges or in cut lines where I have a good view point. Sit more hunting Moose on the river in spots where I can see up and down half a fair distance to catch them either drinking or crossing. For Deer I like to move around.