PDA

View Full Version : Tlinemans Ram

paw325
09-24-2010, 04:32 PM
In the event that my apology is missed on the last page of the "Poor CI Inspecting" thread.

Originally Posted by paw325 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=749354#post749354)
A few hunters on this thread and the Stone thread are attempting to justify killing non trophy game.

Who really needs to kill a ram? Just because you worked hard and climbed a hill or two doesn't mean you deserve a trophy. Sheep are hunted as trophy animals and are managed as such with horn, age and seasonal restrictions. If the horns don't break the bridge of the nose and you are unsure of your ability to age it based on annuli, don't kill it.

I've looked at the pics and cannot praise the hunters. I do not feel that the animals are trophy quality, based on maturity and size.

If we continue to praise every guy who kills a ram, bear, goat or other species managed as trophies, that doesn't meet the requirements or follow the intent of the restrictions, we are going to undermine the intent of the management practices in place. As we are the end users, it is our perogative to manage within and call a spade a spade.
After realizing that Tlineman and I are from the same town I took the opportunity to send him a PM and ask if he had the time and willingness to hook up with me in order to review his ram.

Whan actually looking at the horns it is apparent that in the sheeps deteriorating condition, due to its inability to chew, the ram only grew a very small bit of horn this year and last. The portion of horn above the last annuli remained dark and appeared as new growth, however it is definately annuli. This ram is, in my opinion, 8 years old and legal.

I apologise to Tlineman and his hunting partner, I was foolish and voiced an opinion that was unsolicited and ultimatley wrong.

Tlineman is a gracious person and deals with adversity as a man should.

Peter Walker

sapper
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
I've not followed that thread but good on you for manning up with a good apology. Dealing with adversity and apologising promptly when one is made to see the error of their ways are both signs of character in a man.

Mr. Dean
09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I've said it before in other threads; One CAN NOT put stock in ANY photograph. Be it one, or one thousand of them - It is simply impossible. The only way to conclude 100%, is to see it in person.

ufishifish2
09-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I respected the way Tlineman stood up for his beliefs for a long portion of the original thread before finally throwing up his arms and retreating into the depths of silence.
Legal or not - good on you just the same Tlineman. I like the way you stood up to the adversity.

Tlineman
09-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks Peter, you were extremely helpful and I fell fortunate to have met you today and shown you my ram. You're a true sportsman whose ethics, skills and demeanor is to be admired, and learned from. I graciously appreciate your help with this. :-D

wolverine
09-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Gotta give you your due... it's refreshing to see someone step up to the post and say I was wrong and apologize for comments they have made. Thank you for doing that. It lends to the credibility of this board.

Gateholio
09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
In the event that my apology is missed on the last page of the "Poor CI Inspecting" thread.

Originally Posted by paw325 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=749354#post749354)
A few hunters on this thread and the Stone thread are attempting to justify killing non trophy game.

Who really needs to kill a ram? Just because you worked hard and climbed a hill or two doesn't mean you deserve a trophy. Sheep are hunted as trophy animals and are managed as such with horn, age and seasonal restrictions. If the horns don't break the bridge of the nose and you are unsure of your ability to age it based on annuli, don't kill it.

I've looked at the pics and cannot praise the hunters. I do not feel that the animals are trophy quality, based on maturity and size.

If we continue to praise every guy who kills a ram, bear, goat or other species managed as trophies, that doesn't meet the requirements or follow the intent of the restrictions, we are going to undermine the intent of the management practices in place. As we are the end users, it is our perogative to manage within and call a spade a spade.
After realizing that Tlineman and I are from the same town I took the opportunity to send him a PM and ask if he had the time and willingness to hook up with me in order to review his ram.

Whan actually looking at the horns it is apparent that in the sheeps deteriorating condition, due to its inability to chew, the ram only grew a very small bit of horn this year and last. The portion of horn above the last annuli remained dark and appeared as new growth, however it is definately annuli. This ram is, in my opinion, 8 years old and legal.

I apologise to Tlineman and his hunting partner, I was foolish and voiced an opinion that was unsolicited and ultimatley wrong.

Tlineman is a gracious person and deals with adversity as a man should.

Peter Walker

I wondered the same, but I have an inexperienced eye....Your apology shows lots of class.

And it's a good reminder not to judge from photos on a website!:-D

steepNdeep
09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I will HOWL if willy has to EAT CROW!! :lol:

I thought lack of teeth might affect nutrition & growth as well, but don't know jack about judging sheep.

newhunterette
09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Standing ovation for the class shown by Paw325

Tlineman, ^5 on your beautiful ram :)

09-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Well Willy??

Still sure would like to see the smilen faces on those boyz in the pic's, goes well with legal Rams !

Hahha

Good on ya for the straightening up 325 !

Congrats to the hunters again.

CT

newhunterette
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Well Willy??

Still sure would like to see the smilen faces on those boyz in the pic's, goes well with legal Rams !
Hahha
Good on ya for the straightening up 325 !
Congrats to the hunters again.
CT

just a small side note:
in regards to people block out eyes or faces on their photos, in some cases the people or person's can not show their face due to the type of work they may do (undercover officer, high profile lawyer for examples) yet they still want you to share in the joy of their harvested animal.

Some could just be shy, some may just not want to show their face.

I for one posted a photo from a sheep trip Peter was on and the ram was gorgeous, I was asked to block out the hunting party, so I just showed the beautiful Ram they harvested. (They hunting party was blocked out because a member has a high profile job and didn't want his face all over the forum)

Its enough to know that if you harvested a critter that is beautiful, you would have a grin from ear to ear so its pretty much a given that Tlineman had a big ass grin as well. :):wink:

NaStY
09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I was hoping a thread like this was going to start. Good for you 325 for standing up and apologizing. Shows some real good character.

Maybe Ill reopen the other thread then.. :mrgreen:

Caveman
09-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Good on U 325, takes a good man to admit when a wrong is made. Congrats to the hunters that took these rams. I too look to one day to take a stone, and as long as it meets the requirements of the law, I too will be very proud of what I may achieved.

willy442
09-25-2010, 06:07 AM
I will HOWL if willy has to EAT CROW!! :lol:

I thought lack of teeth might affect nutrition & growth as well, but don't know jack about judging sheep.

Willy will not eat crow on Paw 325's ability to age sheep. Let me also add I stand my ground on the age of the Ram in question due to the reasons already explained.

Let me also add that the choice to shoot the Ram was a coin flip and Tlineman can live with that, after all he gets to look at it everyday.

I have in my possesion the lower portion of a rams leg that was broken in his fourth year. The leg fused back together, with the temdons running through a hole inside the fusion. This ram showed a rather small decline in growth that year and was back to pretty much normal a year later. These animals through mother nature do adapt to dealing with thier various illnesses. Yes many die, it takes more than a tooth ache.

GoatGuy
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Willy will not eat crow on Paw 325's ability to age sheep. Let me also add I stand my ground on the age of the Ram in question due to the reasons already explained.

Let me also add that the choice to shoot the Ram was a coin flip and Tlineman can live with that, after all he gets to look at it everyday.

I have in my possesion the lower portion of a rams leg that was broken in his fourth year. The leg fused back together, with the temdons running through a hole inside the fusion. This ram showed a rather small decline in growth that year and was back to pretty much normal a year later. These animals through mother nature do adapt to dealing with thier various illnesses. Yes many die, it takes more than a tooth ache.

A ram died two years ago from what started as one abscessed tooth.