PDA

View Full Version : New to Hunting BC & looking for grouse.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I am from Abbotsford, BC and I have Grouse hunting on my mind. My two boys and I have recently taken up hunting and there is no other way I would like to spend my time. Any tips or hot areas to go to this year? We have hunted up around Murray Lake and bagged 2 Blues and 2 Ruffed grouse.

Thanks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

aliagha
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
any where north of hope is good for grouse.
squamish is also a good area for grouse, went there last year for a days trip seen alot of grouse in the morning but we were deer hunting on our way back we shot 4.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I have never hunted anywhere other up the west side of Harrison Lake , and from Murray Lake all the way up to Gillis. Saw 10-12 birds. Is that considered a fair amount of birds for a day trip? It seems that there are some areas from the hunters I do know) that you can limit-out every time you go.

wolverine
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Watch the roadsides on the FSRs and skidder tracks especially at first light and later in the afternoon. They eat and then they gravel. Got to have a little grit in the gizzard to process the groceries.

aliagha
09-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I have never hunted anywhere other up the west side of Harrison Lake , and from Murray Lake all the way up to Gillis. Saw 10-12 birds. Is that considered a fair amount of birds for a day trip? It seems that there are some areas from the hunters I do know) that you can limit-out every time you go.

seeing 10 to 12 birds is on a single trip is great, you would find grouse almost every where you go. when i am hunting deers i usually see 2-4 birds per day, but when i am out to hunt grouse i get very picky on deciding which pocket to hunt. if you are getting 10 to 12 birds per day i'd say you are doing great but don't just stick to that single area try to explore in other directions and try to find that pocket which holds all the grouse.
good luck.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I never seem to see more than 2 or 3 birds together. Should I be searching the area more discreetly?

TEN22
09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
[quote=TEN22;752098
time you go.
]I never seem to see more than 2 or 3 birds together. Should I be searching the area more discreetly?[/quote
Originally Posted by TEN22 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=752041#post752041)
]

ElectricDyck
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Never got more than a couple in a day locally (chilliwack/harrison). I've had lots of luck east of boston bar on sunny days, east of manning park, or east of the toll booths. Grouse hunting is great for keeping the kids interested.