PDA

View Full Version : New to Hunting BC

TEN22
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I am from Abbotsford, BC and I have Grouse hunting on my mind. My two boys and I have recently taken up hunting and there is no other way I would like to spend my time. Any tips or hot areas to go this year?

09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
welcome to the site,
i'm not from Abbotsford so i cant help you with areas. But if you drive some loging roads you will eventually find some birds.

maybe take an overnighter to Merrit or Princeton one weekend with the kids. See some new area's.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi, and thanks. We have done some hunting around Murray Lake in region 3-13. We saw about 10-12 birds and took 4 with head shoots :mrgreen:. 2 Blues & 2 Ruffed grouse, yum. We hope to get out this Monday again, I was thinking somewhere around Kamploops.

Brew
09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Head out to chilliwack and get up high on the hills. lots of grouse

TEN22
09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thank you. Up Jones Lake area or are you talking up Chilliwack Lake?

Phil
09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Welcome to HBC! I've seen a number of grouse on various trips out. Hit the gravel roads and side trails and you'll be in luck. While you're out in the back country get your kids to throw you a few skeet for practice and fun. (Don't forget to clean up your shells.) Your kids will get a kick out of it and your shot will improve. All the best.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Phil,

My son has his hopes set on a H&R 20 gauge. He has shot My 12, but he can barely reach the slide and I worry that he will get the biggest pinch of his life. Clays are another of my favorite things to do. Do you head shot with full choke or someone mentioned wing them?

Bow Walker
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Welcome to HBC. It's a zoo.....but a friendly zoo. :wink:

09-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Phil,

My son has his hopes set on a H&R 20 gauge. Do you head shot with full choke or someone mentioned wing them?

I shoot a 20ga at birds. imp / mod choke sxs. Grouse for a single choke it'd be a modifyed for me. My great uncle uses a full, But he lets everyone shoot first and goes clean up.

Standing bird, any choke, aim at the head. Weather the bird is in a tree or on the ground. Bird in flight swing through the bird and squeeze on the head and follow through.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. Where I live, You are lucky if you can get within 40-45 yards to take a shot. The birds scatter, hit the trees and land on a branch, 3 seconds later there flying deeper into the trees and don't seem to tree the way everyone says they do. No easy sitting shot unless it is at 40 yards. at that distance how much shot are you picking out of the breast?

TEN22
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
HI and thanks Bow Walker.
I like zoos for the variety of different species. Makes things interesting.

09-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Not much, you do get some and sometimes you get alot. This is just something you deal with. For the most part you can pick the pellets out with a knife when you clean the birds. I have shot my share of birds with a 12 and 20. And it is not very often i eat a pellet. I fillet the breast off the bone and get most of the pellets out. If you only shoot them standing or in the thick and at distance, bring out the .22. Just be sure of your back ground. Shooting the .22 will get you guys some good practice shooting.

Short awnser on avg. with the 20ga about 4 pellets in the breast AVERAGE ish..........

whitebirdfeathers
09-24-2010, 01:33 PM
A friend was up on the Coquihalla near the summit a couple weeks back and got ten. Might be an area worth checking out. And from Abbotsford it's only an hour and a half.
good luck!

shadow1982
09-24-2010, 01:47 PM
HI and thanks Bow Walker.
I like zoos for the variety of different species. Makes things interesting.

You will not be disappointed... lol

Welcome

TEN22
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
10-4. I bet it gets louder as night draws near!

Phil
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi Phil,

My son has his hopes set on a H&R 20 gauge. He has shot My 12, but he can barely reach the slide and I worry that he will get the biggest pinch of his life. Clays are another of my favorite things to do. Do you head shot with full choke or someone mentioned wing them?

I use a 12 gauge and I do take head shots. I use a short mossberg defender for grouse. It's nothing special but gets the job done.

pmj
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I use a 12 ga my brother a 16 ga. I use #6 or 7 1/2 shot . It is easy to follow the pellet trail trough the breast as the feathers get pushed in with the pellett. I just cut through any pellet trails and clean it out as I fillet the breast meat. I never worry about the number of pellets when the bird is in the pan.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Just so I don't scare you all, I do have years of gun safety & plinking/target experience( gopher hunting). It is good to see how everyone is on alert for beginners and the possible dangers associated with guns. Good advice is just that, but someone has to give it first to be useful. I have seen people simply shooting in a direction that was not cleared nor safe to do. Ignorance is bliss until someone shoots someone else and then some politician screams for tighter GUN CONTROL. Even worse a criminal shoots someone with an unregistered gun, so why not create a registry to control those guns that are smuggled into Canada. Huh, that makes sense. Sorry for venting, I saw the vote on keeping the long gun registry.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I would get a few more with the 20ga versus my 10/22. Feathers in the pellet trail, easy way to find and remove the pellets. I will have to try that on Monday.
Thanks.

TEN22
09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
That easy. I guess I would get a few more with the 20ga versus my 10/22. Feathers in the pellet trail, easy way to find and remove the pellets. I will have to try that on Monday.
Thanks.

09-24-2010, 02:32 PM
If yer sufficient with the .22 just use the 20ga.
There is a big divide on what is better for birds .22/ 20ga/ 12ga.
if ya's got's da' 20ga you should use da' 20ga!

IceClash
09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Phil,

I have that exact gun and while its light and so it kicks drop some money on a good pad and put some weight in the stock. I have shot other shotguns and liked them but that gun is still a great gun, very reliable and though it is a bit small but it works great especially for new shooters

TEN22
09-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I have that exact gun and while its light and so it kicks drop some money on a good pad and put some weight in the stock. I have shot other shotguns and liked them but that gun is still a great gun, very reliable and though it is a bit small but it works great especially for new shooters
Thanks, I will take your advice and apply it to the stock.