PDA

View Full Version : New hunter!

09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Well my father and I took his 8 month old lab out to shot gun train her yesterday. She is a block head from Cedar brea. He brought out 12 wings and 2 whole ducks. We first put out the wings from right on the road side to 10 feet in the bush. With out Piper seeing where. Wings 1 and 2 she found and licked. Wing three she picked up and brought in. Thoes were the easy ones. The next 8 were exciting to watch. I can not believe how this little girl worked the wind at 8 months. You could easily see her use her nose, she worked slow but very methodical. Yes i can count 8+3=11...
we lost one!

Next Dad had her out at 100yds away from me. I pointed the 20ga away, 180 deg away from them and shot. As dad let go she ran 20yds and stopped looking at me. At this time i shot at 90deg, giving her a bit more boom. She ran to 20yds away from me. I loaded and shot again. This is the funny part. She on this last shot looked in the bush in the direction of fire and ran in there looking! She has never had the relation of shot to bird but she some how knew what to do it seemed.

We finnished with Dad throwing the bird and me shooting. This started with short throws and progressed to fast balling the bufflehead into the forrest! It was absolutly amazing watching Piper work it out. I have never seen a dog go from never hearing a shot to making me wonder if she was going to find a Blue for me while we were doing this.

I am really looking foreward to hunting behind Piper. And I know where my next lab is coming from!

Tikka270wsm
09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Right on! Sounds like a keeper for sure.

pappy
10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
That sounds like a good blood line,I love hunting with my lab. She came from hunting stock and it shows when she hears anything that sounds like a gun. She too instinctively runs the direction of the shot. Its cool to see a dog work the grasses and bush in a grid pattern all on their own. She also has "soft mouth" so that helps the training move along much faster. I sadly have only used her for upland hunting as I don't know anybody who is a waterfowler.

10-04-2010, 08:38 AM
You live right near Cowichan bay.
you should have a look around there. :)