PDA

View Full Version : 18' Extreme Jetboat Performance with sportjet?

DiggsNWT
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I have been looking at pulling the trigger on a 18' jet boat with a heavy duty bottom with full UHMW. My only concern is the 200 Optimax SJ and how it will handle the heavier hull, especially loaded for a one week hunt trip.

I know many of you already are using this setup, so how do you feel about it? I did have a 18' Explorer Industries 186LE (18') with a V8 and a Jacuzzi Legend pump...a decent setup but the hull, while tough, was not extreme.

Also, I note that the manufacturers seem to be headed towards putting V8's in their extreme duty boats...ie. Outlaw Lynx, Firefish Hammerhead, etc.

By performance, I am more concerned about getting up on step, cruise rpm unloaded/loaded...top speed is not a concern for me.

Thx.
Diggs

JRG94
09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
aluminum small block and a hami 212!!!:twisted::twisted:

DiggsNWT
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
aluminum small block and a hami 212!!!:twisted::twisted:

Heheheh...was just looking at one of those setups on firefish forums. Would be wonderful...but a tad out of my budget...I am looking used, actually.

Diggs

DiggsNWT
09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess everyone is out hunting.

SHACK
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Of course it will handle but how much, the real question is how far in do you plan to go, how much fuel you need to pack, and how elaborate is your camp, and number of guys. All thats a no brainer, but your asking a fairly vague question. Guys have been running with 175's for years, and getting away with some decent loads in thier boats, and a 200 is excelent wieght to hp, but still going to a v8 with 320Hp + outwieghs the difference in by a fair bit. Thats 120 extra horse, for only a nominal wieght gain. No oil needed, extra Hp, easy as pie to work on, no annoying SJ whine.......... ;)
V8 all the way IMHO

Swamp Rat
09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
What rivers would you like to run with this boat? How far back do you intend to go? With the right setup, the 175 can pack the weight. Fuel consumption(packing fuel) should be a consideration. After a trip with a guy who had a 240 sj, I appreciate my 175 sj even more. I luv the sound of my sj :-D

stoneslinger
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
If you overload that heavy boat you will hate the performance. I know this better than you could ever possibly imagine.

Kapow
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Sportjets pack your camp and your meat no problem with a heavy-duty hull. Been there done that ( 2moose and camp 17'er). They are the ultimate hunting engine/pump for goin up shallow rivers. I dropped a vortech in my 17.5 because I like to play in the deeps aswell and I can't stand the noise from an SJ. If I could afford it though, I would have 2 boats: sportjet and a v8

BCRiverBoater
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Just got back from the very top end of the Muskwa. Actually went to the canyon one day for something to do. I have a 17' Firefish with 200 Opti. I packed 165 gallons of gas and half a camp and gear for two guys. Was heavy but made it up no problem.

I was with a 19' Hammerhead with 6.2l (not supercharged) and Hamilton 212. He was packing a little more gear and was on step in one boat length. On the way up loaded he burnt the same or even less gas.

After boating for 7 years with a 240 and a 200...my next boat will be a V8. I can not stand the noise of the 2-strokes and I like the extra power for carrying the weight. I have been up almost every river in the north including top end above Tuchodi Lakes, the Frog, Muskwa, Moberly, Halfway etc and the 19' and 21' have been everywhere I have been so far. Maybe late fall on a few rivers they stay at camp but all in all they can go as far as you want to go. Just do not get stuck but they all carry chainsaw winches anyways.

Once you have been in them you would not believe the performance and the great fuel economy. The only thing that would absolutely out perform them is an empty 14' center console. But when all boats are loaded right up...they both get to the same water. Empty maybe the small ones will go the extra few miles.

shallowH2O
10-01-2010, 09:33 PM
just came down from aligator alley on the muskwa with 4 guys, 6 point bull elk, camp and all our gear. tad heavy but we made it. 17' with a 200 opti

BCRiverBoater
10-01-2010, 09:59 PM
just came down from aligator alley on the muskwa with 4 guys, 6 point bull elk, camp and all our gear. tad heavy but we made it. 17' with a 200 opti

When were you up there? We came down on the night of the 23rd. Alligator alley was starting to show its teeth compared to the week before when we went up in high water.

shallowH2O
10-10-2010, 07:54 AM
were camped just below "the frenchmens" , oppisite side of the river( charen creek?? or something like that) from the 20th to the 25th. moved up on the 25th, came dowm the 30th! water came up over a foot while we were up there! almost could have take a bc ferry up the river! never seen that before at the end of sept. Were you the redish firefish we met at the bottom of the little shoot just above Olmsteads?)