PDA

View Full Version : Whats the little something you always forget to pack for a hunt?

Crazy_Farmer
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Just got to thinking while packing last night and tonight before we head out for a week backpack hunt. Whats something little you always forgot to include in your list or in your backpack??

I've got 2 pages printed out for a checklist for gear and food and pretty much have everything for it. But I know once we set up camp and empty some gear out I'll go awwwww sh#t how could I forget that lol. :mrgreen:

aliagha
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
extra batteries for flash lights and cameras...:)

quadrakid
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Nice pillow.

Crazy_Farmer
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
check and check... so far so good :-D

moose2
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I worked with a guy that drove 4 hours to camp to realize he left his bolt on the bench at home. Last trip I forgot the egg flipper.
MIKE

Alpine85
09-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Throw a deck of cards in your pack. Makes laying in the tent for 2 days cause of rain, a little easyier.

husky30-06
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
pillow and tooth brush!!!!!:???:

aliagha
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
shades/ eye glasses, tarpaulin, rope, compass,
last time i went hunting i forgot the top of my tent, and then it started to rain over night, then we had to sleep in the truck......

bigneily
09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
You got the wet-wipes?:mrgreen: a week's backpacking the ass rash will be fierce without em...good luck

Crazy_Farmer
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Got the cards, small crib board, and the wet wipes and the fly to my tent. I'll try to remember my bolt...or maybe I could throw a rock at the goat worst case lol.

Big7
09-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Gold Bond powder....never leave home without it!

sawmill
09-24-2010, 03:53 AM
A couple of paperbacks,makes the rainy days better.We got socked in once for 2 days and I only had one book so as I finished a page I`d rip it out and give it to my buddy to read.:mrgreen:

kastles
09-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Since I quit smoking I have not once but twice forgotten a lighter and had to open up my emergency pack to get at one. This involves unraveling a couple hundred feet of 550 paracord, cutting through my duct tape moisture barrier, then spilling out all the tightly packed contents where my backup lighter, flint striker and fire starters are kept. Twice.

Coffee filters, proper connections for propane and stove, I also forgot my bolt one trip, and once forgot the Baileys

NitwiT
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Haha, that day you forgot your bolt was funny!

As for myself, only done this once, but after a 5 hour drive to empire valley, woke up the next morning with the knowledge that I had forgotten my LEH mule deer doe tag.

Brambles
09-24-2010, 06:33 AM
camp shoes, nothing better then being able to take your hiker's off when in camp. Those light weight foam Crocs work great for that.

Ozone
09-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Trigger lock key

wayneec
09-24-2010, 10:00 AM
how about shit paper just i case you see that monster buck and you crap yourself lol happy hunting and hope you dont poop your pants :mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I have left a lighter (since stopping smoking) I have left Mtn Money ...sacrificed a sock ....I almost forgot a release ....
Once I grabbed the wrong arrows ... That sucked ...nothing like driving 2 hours get to buddys ranch and discover that you grabbed your Target arrow case instead .... I used some of Codys arrows that weekend ... had to resight first ... (all my target arrows are glue in points so I couldnt just screw in some Broadheads)

One thing that would make sure I have in case of socked in rain etc ... is a Sodoku book and pen

Other than arrows I have been fairly lucky ... If I didnt bring it my buddy had it or vise versa

newhunterette
09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I am always making lists for everything, as I think of something it goes on the list, once it is packed it is checked off, I keep the list for the next trip and start again adding to things it that I discovered I should have packed the last time (usually can get by without but would make things easier if had)

I haven't forgotten anything really important that would stop the trip all together, just small things.

Camp Cook
09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Last trip and first of the season was for 6 days with my 3 1/2 year old son.

I had everything packed made it 10 minutes from home when I realized I did not have my trigger lock keys so turned around went back home and got them, then 3 1/2 days later into the trip when the water tank in the camper ran out I realized I hadn't filled the tank before leaving home so headed to a buddies place in Princeton and filled the tank.

Continued on for the rest of the trip only reason we came home after 6 days was because I got tired of fighting the rain with my little guy.

The Dawg
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Camera, bandaids, moleskin for blisters, sunglasses.

branthunter
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Dental floss (waxed)--keeps your teeth clean,you can sew with it, it's strong enough that you can use it as tie up cord for a lot of things (eg. tying branches into place to make a leanto), or tie stuff onto your pack, or repair broken stuff, it makes a good snare, and you get a really long piece of it in a package the size of a matchbox (so you can double or triple it if need be---eg. for shoe laces). I always keep the large size Johnsons box in my fanny pack>

branthunter
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
And a can or two of sardines and a silver space blanket (weighs nothing and can save your life or keep you dry).

M@B
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Can't believe that no one has said "a knife"!.
I forgot a knife once, now I pack at least 3. one on my belt, one in my pocket, and at least one in my pack.

Jelvis
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't forget your lap top computer, and wire toaster for over the fire ..

dawn2dusk
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I always forget my lucky swedish girl costume....works better than camo.

Kody94
09-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Make sure to double check that you have your own ultra-lite sleeping bag, and not your 2yo son's little mini-sleeping bag. Seen it happen once. :)

laredo318
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Since I quit smoking I have not once but twice forgotten a lighter and had to open up my emergency pack to get at one. This involves unraveling a couple hundred feet of 550 paracord, cutting through my duct tape moisture barrier, then spilling out all the tightly packed contents where my backup lighter, flint striker and fire starters are kept. Twice.

Coffee filters, proper connections for propane and stove, I also forgot my bolt one trip, and once forgot the Baileys

How could you forget the Baileys???? Sheesh!!!

sawmill
09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I always forget my lucky swedish girl costume....works better than camo.
Unless you are a chick I am never hunting with you.Saw Gate in a pink Tu Tu,scarred for life now.:mrgreen:
However if you are a chick............Photo`s please!

wildcatter
09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I'm not the only one with the trigger lock keys:)

wolverine
09-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Just got to thinking while packing last night and tonight before we head out for a week backpack hunt. Whats something little you always forgot to include in your list or in your backpack??

I've got 2 pages printed out for a checklist for gear and food and pretty much have everything for it. But I know once we set up camp and empty some gear out I'll go awwwww sh#t how could I forget that lol. :mrgreen:

Katey Perry! :twisted:

Gunner Staal
09-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Extra screws and leatherman for your scope mount. Just had a screw snap on me waaaaay the hell back and it ruined my hunt. Rifle was useless over 50 yards.

Casagrande
09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
My bible and breathalyzer:twisted:

bigshooter
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
A good dressing kit. Lots of times I think of the hunt and forget that I might get something.

swampthing
09-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Dont forget your license. This sounds dumb but I did just that. I waited till the last minute to swap out all my gear into my new backpack and my license was left on the floor under my old pack. Went on a 2 week hunt. Past up some animals and coming home we were stopped in Dease Lk by the COs. I took a fine for that. Had it recinded when I got home and faxed my license in. Dumb, I know.

bearhunter338-06
09-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Ok this should make you all laugh and giggle all day. Last year when I was packing for my elk hunt up in Dawson Creek I put my boots on the stairs, packed my truck grabbed on pair of boots put the other pair away. the next day While getting ready to go hunting I discovered that I have 2 left boots.

Yup I got extremely harassed and told that I would have problems all day walking in circles. Good thing I had good heavy socks to keep my feet warm in my running shoes.