PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding insulated hicking boots

09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I’m looking for a pair of good quality insulated/Gore-tex hiking boots for late season deer hunts. I want something with enough insulation (800gr thinsulate or other equivalent) that will keep my feet warm enough to stay out all day whether I’m walking or holed up some place glassing /waiting, but not too bulky so that I can cover fair bit of ground if I have to.
I have a pair of Irish setters right now and they are fine for truck or quad hunting but they aren’t what I would call hiking boots. Do you guys have any recommendations?

No Tag Soup Please
09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Danner boots are pretty awesome, can get lots of different ammounts of insulation in them. Grouse River carries them.

Hydrojet
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I have the irish setter elk hounds and I find those work well for a hiking boot...not heavy lots of ankle support and a great and repairable outsole, but only 200gr thinsulate....what is it that you are looking for in a hiking boot? I personally didn't like 800gr even in cold temps as it was too hot and my feet ended up sweating during the hike and then were wet for the sit. I would go lighter on the thinsulate and more on a whicking sock / wool sock or insulating sock combo so you can change socks due to wetness or change in conditions ( more or less sock for warmer or cooler conditions)...the most thinsulate I have is 600 gr and at -20 they are more than warm, but not sweaty hot.

Brew
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I got a new pair of Danner canadians. there great. they have 600 grams of insulation. You might be able to find some with more though.

09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
The pair that I have now has 400 grams and I find that my toes get very cold if I'm out in -15 or less all day, that's with good wool socks. My Irish setters are from 5 or 6 years ago and I find that they don't have much ankle support. The sole is way too soft too. Last year I stepped on on broken branch that was covered with now and a stub twig went through the sole, goretex liner and the insole but didn't puncture my sock!
I have a pair of Red wing(same company as Irish Setters) steel toes and they are great, walked on many miles of uneven railroad ballast in crap conditions and they never leaked and no sprained ankles so maybe I just have a crap model.

09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Brew,

How is the traction on ice or snow with your boots? The soles seem to have a unusual pattern to them.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005236811102a.shtml

Brew
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
To tell ya truth I have only worn them in a dusting of snow. The tread pattern is actually almost identical to my sorell snow boots though. You can get them resoled also

Hydrojet
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
270 that tread pattern is rather populair in non-chaulk logger boots....we sell a bunch of them. Very simular tread pattern to my Elk trackers. Ice isn't much fun but anything else is fine.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/882-irish-setter/882-irish-setter-mens-elk-tracker-brown

DiggsNWT
09-23-2010, 10:51 PM
I’m looking for a pair of good quality insulated/Gore-tex hiking boots for late season deer hunts. I want something with enough insulation (800gr thinsulate or other equivalent) that will keep my feet warm enough to stay out all day whether I’m walking or holed up some place glassing /waiting, but not too bulky so that I can cover fair bit of ground if I have to.
I have a pair of Irish setters right now and they are fine for truck or quad hunting but they aren’t what I would call hiking boots. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Hanwags. Best hiking/hunting boot I have ever owned. Works for my dall hunts, moose and grouse! Check out the Trapper GTX or the Trapper Light GTX.

http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-kategorie.php?cat_id=9

Diggs

09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Hanwags. Best hiking/hunting boot I have ever owned. Works for my dall hunts, moose and grouse! Check out the Trapper GTX or the Trapper Light GTX.

http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-kategorie.php?cat_id=9

Diggs

Lots of great feedback on these boots but I can't bring myself to buy boots without trying them on first to make sure they are the right fit for my feet.

Where did you buy yours from?

DiggsNWT
09-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Lots of great feedback on these boots but I can't bring myself to buy boots without trying them on first to make sure they are the right fit for my feet.

Where did you buy yours from?

I found a place in Banff that sells them. So, on a ski trip through that area, I stopped in, put them on, wore them around abit, and bought them. I have Alaska GTX. The place name was monod sports.

Diggs

fuzzy
09-24-2010, 09:46 PM
danner canadians are hardly a "hiking boot". you might as well buy some "trail running shoes" and buy some wool and goretex sox and save 250 bucks or more.

fuzzy

Jagermeister
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
La Sportiva Mountain.
Excellent ankle support, will accept crampons, light enough to hike the lower slopes too. Waterproof to the top of the boot. The boot that a few Alaskan Sheep guides use.

I have a pair of Danners too. They are more suited to the forested area as they lack the ankle support for the more extreme slopes, but are warm enough to use ice-fishing. They are fitted with gortex and thinsulate and are pretty impervious to moisture and cold.

scembalf
09-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I have the hanwag alaska gtx and they r awesome they fit me true to size like them more than my lowa sheep hunters

swampthing
09-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Kenetrek mountain extreem with 1000gram insulation.

09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
How to the Hanwag's fit compare to Meindle's? I've tried their Canada Pro's on and they are a bit too wide for my feet.

Northernwaterboy
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I had bought a pair of meindl canada pro's 2 years ago. They lasted one hunt and started to come apart and loose shape. Absolutely Pi$sed me off for that kind of money. No warranty given so sold them at a loss. Bought the Hanwag Trappers but they fit really big in the heel area. Awesome boots but couldn't make them work. Returned them and bought the Lowa Sheep Hunters and they are the best boots I have owned.
Listen to the other guys and layer up on socks instead of a heavy insulated boot.
Good luck

10-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I know everyone bitches about Meindls but after blowing out 2 pairs of Danner Rainforests I bought a pair of Meindls from Fischers and have worn them this season.They are the best supporting boots Ive worn and that includes Vibergs.As this is only theyre first season I hope they last.I wish I could get apair with caulks for work.