PDA

View Full Version : calling deer

Trevorg
09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
is it worthwhile calling deer before the rut or is it a waste of time?

Dannybuoy
09-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Never a waste of time as deer are a very curious critter , esp the mulies .
so even if they dont come in looking for a fight they might come around to see exactly what that noise is all about .

ratherbefishin
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
seems hit or miss on blacktails-I have a lot around my place and am in a position to observe their behaviour.I've tried rattling, grunt calling before during and after the rut -with no effect,neither bucks nor does paid any attention-except one time I was out using a grunt call and heard an identical grunt come from the bush about 30 yards-away and there was a nice two point.So my conclusion is blacktails may or may not respond-there doesn't seem any consistent reaction .

M@B
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I've had four deer literally running in to my call this year. Granted one was a spike buck and the other three were does but, either way it doesn't scare them so why not.

buk1830
09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Mulies are very curious, I called in a 4 point who had just ran over a hill but he came back to see what the noise was . It is always best when there is obvious sign of deer in the early season but as it gets later on into there rut calling works good if your in the right spot at the right time.

Good luck.

luckynuts
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
seems hit or miss on blacktails-I have a lot around my place and am in a position to observe their behaviour.I've tried rattling, grunt calling before during and after the rut -with no effect,neither bucks nor does paid any attention-except one time I was out using a grunt call and heard an identical grunt come from the bush about 30 yards-away and there was a nice two point.So my conclusion is blacktails may or may not respond-there doesn't seem any consistent reaction .

Funny I've had nothing but excellant experience with rattling in blacktails last 2 weeks in Oct on the island.

W.

Shooter
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
In very early season while some younger bucks are still running with does try using a fawn in distress call. The does will likely come to investigate and if there is a buck hanging with them it will likely follow. I have had limited success with grunt tubes, and haven't tried doe bleats till a little later on.

Ogopogo
09-23-2010, 05:30 PM
hell my buddy loves using his elk call on deer and it seems to work for him

john g
09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
I've had some success calling in blacktail bucks during the rut using a doe call. Had one young buck come right up w/in 10 yards of me a few years back. Deer are curious and you can couple that with stupid during the height of the rut. The bucks have one thing on their mind then and will frequently come running when they think a doe might be interested.