PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon house

Kasomor
09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Dakotawinters pigeon launcher got me to thinking that him or someone else might have plans for building a pigeon coop.

I only want to keep 6. Would like to have two breeding pairs so I have a more or less very small constant supply. I want to keep the cage as small as possible.

I live in the city so the ability to keep the cage clean is really important to me and my neighbors.

I've kept pigeons for a week or two before but not on a long term basis so any advice is much appreciated.

Jimsue
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM
At $3 a bird its easier to buy them, pigeon food that will get birds breeding is not cheap. been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Cdn-Redneck
09-24-2010, 02:37 PM
We had neighbours at my previous house that had pigeons. They moved but the pigeons never did. They disappeared one at a time from my roof.

dakotawinters
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I am just making a pigeon coop, they do sound like a bit of a head ache but in the end i think it would be cheaper. Plus i want my dog not to be able to catch them.... which is what he's been doing with the quail.

Buck
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I have plans for a Scott Pigeon coup i bought from Lion Country supply it holds about 16 birds . I currently have 12 in it it is easy to maintain and takes up little space.I feed premium pigeon feed from the coop and these things breed like rats.Plans were 5 bucks i believe.

Kasomor
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I had those plans at one time...they seem to have disappeared! I'll have to order another set.

Does the coop need to get any sun during the day? I want to put it under some fir trees so it would be in full shade all the time.

mijinkal
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I've been procrastinating way too long about building a coup. I'd like to see some plans too.

Jimsue
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a coop, it about 6 feet wide by about 10 feet long . Its on skids and should be fairly easy to load on a small flat deck, which I have. I'm in south Langley and want this gone, will trade for cash, booze, or a date with your sister if she's cute and between 35 and 40ish and likes dogs.

Regards Jim

mijinkal
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
lol, unless somebody has a sister for Jim, I'm going to buy the coop from him.
He's going to hold out for a sister for a week though ;)

Jimsue
09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
And since I gave the dimensions of the coop, if you have a sister.....ya know the rest.

dakotawinters
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
lol, hey you guys do you really need that big of a coop for pigeons? just wondering as i was going to make one of those arcs like for chickens for them?

4pointer91
08-11-2011, 08:08 AM
hey, how'd it go with the coop plans? I'm also thinking of housing 6 or 8 birds for dog training and am wondering if anyone knows of some good plans on the web ....the $5 plans from Lions Country sound like a good bet too.
http://www.lcsupply.com/Pigeon-Loft-Plans/productinfo/PLP/

FirePower
08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
When my Da was training he kept up to 200 birds but they were all free fliers that roosted in the barn. It was our job th skuttle around in the rafters and catch them at night. I keep 1/2 doz birds for training but caution rotate your birds especially if you use them with hobbles, harness or as clipwings, in a small coupe they quickly become very week fliers. and dont flush well and you get a lot of traps. Not so important forth pointer people but definately a bad thing for us flushing dog enthusiasts.

Buck
08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I have the Scott pigeon coup.Holds 6 to 12 birds nicely and takes up little space.My birds are free to fly so they are in good shape

dakotawinters
08-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I just ended up making a 1-2 bird pen... but filled it with Chucker. Although i've had the same one since april.... i guess that means the dogs are getting good. :-)

duck stamp
09-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Why dont you buy a Pigeon trap just set it out couple of days before you are going out with the dogs you can keep the pigeons in the trap.

Foxton Gundogs
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Why dont you buy a Pigeon trap just set it out couple of days before you are going out with the dogs you can keep the pigeons in the trap.

Thats what I do since I moved, and I go thru a goodly number of birds. I have a coupe and am storing tires in it right now lol. I got curious about the birds I was using and started banding a few and lo and behold the same birds keep showing up in the trap. Now I am steadying pups right now so not killing a lot of them but what a great recycle program and no feed costs.

naes
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Where can you buy traps? or maybe someone has an extra one forsale? I have a great spot to put one.

Foxton Gundogs
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Make one out of 1X2s chicken wire and you can buy the door, But I made my door by knocking the coating off welding rod and it works just fine. If you want to buy, Lion Country Supply www.lcsupply.com (http://www.lcsupply.com) has door rods for $1.49 each, doors for $17.95 and traps(30x15x12) for $49.95. Great company to deal with and have a sh*t load of other good dog stuff as well.

duck stamp
09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I would go what Foxton gundogs said, I just check cabales out and they want $65 for them now, a couple of years ago when I bought mine they were $49.. good Luck

1/2 slam
09-03-2011, 08:31 PM
If anyone is looking for launchers I have 3. They're almost brand new. 60 ea at Cabales. I could part with all 3 for 100