PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling

Bigbruin
09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Has anyone been successful calling Moose yet this year or is it still to early. I'm up in Fort St John and the temps at night are starting to cool down. Any hints tips or information will be appricieated Thx Rob

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Prime is just starting!!!

Now is the time to start cow calling, never know when a bull will come in to see if he can get a jump up....if know what I mean.....

Next two weeks will be the time.

As for hints, be patient, sit for a bit, wait to see what come along. Some will come like a D9 and others will be like a ghost. My experience is that people leave an area too fast.

There is lots on moose calling on here. Do search using the search button and you will find tons of info.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

flyboy
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I am not hunting but rather working but decided to try some calling. Got a nice bull to walk out accross a meadow to within 30 ft of me yesterday. quite a rush.

Bigbruin
09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
In what area

luckynuts
09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Two bulls shot day before coming into the call. Seen a pic of a great bull arrowed almost 2 weeks ago that came into a cow call. Start calling and get yourself a bull ....

W.

daywalker
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Have you been seeing much. Were about's are you. General area.

luckynuts
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
you talking to me ????? if so FSJ

daywalker
09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
To both lol. You guys just north of Fort St. John

Bigbruin
09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm heading out tomorrow ass early and stayin all day. Heading out close to 101.

daywalker
09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
mile 101 ? Have you been seeing much though. What about deer. I think the next week they should pick up.

todbartell
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
had a bull grunting at me on the weekend. He answered my elk bugle!!!! Waited a few minutes then gave him some horny cow moose moans, and you could hear him grunting and coming closer through the bush. Musta winded me because you could hear him getting further away after a while. I agree with Sitkaspruce, the next two weeks should be real good hunting for moose

takla1
09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
we use to get them on the 17,18,19 sept like clockwork south of ft nelson.Once you get that first good frost get out of your truck and hike into some access areas close by a larger river and stay till late evening and you will hear the cows balling and bulls answering.Locate the bulls from there and hope you find a imature,three point brow tine or a ten point...good luck!!LaST FEW YEARS UP THERE WE'D SEE 10 BULLS BEFORE YOUD FIND A LEGAL ONE TO SHOOT!

BiG Boar
09-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Called in one bull and one cow last 5 days in ft st James. So they are starting to respond!

Bigbruin
09-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Just to confirm a legal Moose up here now has to have no more than two points on one antler or ten or more points on one side total. Or a moose that has three points on his tri palm. WTF why so complicated.

todbartell
09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
it's not that complicated?

moosinaround
09-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Just to confirm a legal Moose up here now has to have no more than two points on one antler or ten or more points on one side total. Or a moose that has three points on his tri palm. WTF why so complicated.
Geese a fellow doesn't even have to take his boots off to count either!!:wink: Moosin

bridger
09-24-2010, 04:05 AM

really not that complicated once you hunt awhile. the antler restriction was put into keep the general open season instead of leh.

2SHALLOW
09-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Been out the past two weeks called in 4 bulls, none legal!!! Ive had luck as eary as 4 sept right up to the end of oct, usually the bigger guys later and the smaller guys earlier but thats just my opinion!!

luckynuts
09-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Sorry but I have to say did you read the regs????? Not sure how much time off you have or how prepared your are but if you are looking for big bulls head up to trutch. Also carry chains a winch and a chainsaw:wink: If your daytripping try the 98 mile road the 95 mile road 91 mile also good for elk though watch for private property lots of it, or the 73 mile rd. Lots of pressure so park and hike in a ways and should be able to call in a bull first thing. I can almost guarantee it:-D they are coming in readily now with these frosty foggy mornings. You want to start calling by 6:30 am so it's better if you know where your going first. Mental note for you. The mud up here is like no other. Don't care what tires you have on carry chains supposed to rain monday but north of John it can be anytime. Good luck If I wasn't stuck in camp I could maybe help you out.

W.

ape
09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Called in 3 bulls on wed afternoon in the PG area.

Phreddy
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Was out having a look at some moose country a week or so back with my two sons. We saw a nice 5X4 bull about 50 yds away. Better off fishing decided that he'd get out and water the rocks while looking at the critter until I called it and it started to trot our way. Never seen a man do up his fly and move so fast in quite a while. Heh-heh.....sorry Dave......just couldn't resist.